Nine Radio (Music)

Looking at Lava, it should be noted that the Sunday Morning 60s playlist on 4BH is also being heard on 2UE & 3MP. It’s the same for Jukebox Saturday Night* & Sunday Night 70s.

Unlike it’s soon-to-be-gone 4KQ equivalents, the ACE Radio versions are being heard across multiple stations in the three East Coast capitals. Although outside of those feature programs, each station runs its own playlist.

*- Jukebox Saturday Night is heard on Magic 1278 instead of 3MP in Melbourne.

2 Likes

That was a great read.

Radio has changed so much over the last 40 years. One such area is in sales. Every station used to have a unique sales department that would aim to get the local and national advertisers signed up. I can remember single radio stations (such as Triple M, Fox, 2UE or 2SM) taking out full page ads in B&T magazine, promoting their ratings. Nowadays the national advertisers (Coke, Maccas, Harvey Norman, Woolworths) don’t need to be approached station by station.

I wonder how many of 2UE’s advertisers are unique to 2UE, or signed up through 2GB / Nine. Probably very few.

2 Likes

There is 2 Sunday Morning 60’s. 4bh is hosted by Gavin Miller and 2ue/3mp is hosted by Dave Ferguson. 4bh one is classic hits focus while 2ue/3mp is easy music focus

1 Like

the songs are the same

2 Likes

I think Ace needs to be more adventurous. Magic 1278 is quite good but still too safe (ie) too much mainstream songs from Eagles, Beach Boys & Queen. They need to play more one hit wonders and lost songs from the 70s & 80s. I have never listened to 4KQ but it sounds like they have been a unique station that is not replicated anywhere else.

3 Likes

I have email Magic 1278 this morning

I have a suggestion for the music that you play on Magic 1278

ACE should add the songs that is currently play on their Heritage regional stations (3CS, 3NE etc) to Magic 1278 playlist as well

That will Make the music on Magic 1278 even better

They replied with this:

Thanks for your email. We do play many of the songs on Magic1278 that appear on our regional heritage stations. But I shall pass your thoughts on to our music director!

Have you joined our music panel yet? It gives you a chance to have your say in what we play, and also just by participating, you could win a $500 Visa gift card.

I just replied with this:

I was thinking Magic 1278 could start to play some 90’s songs as well. 90’s is in the classic era by now I would think.

That’s just my follow up suggestion from this morning

1 Like

They are definitely unique, especially on weekends. During the week they are a bit more mainstream but they let loose on weekends with specials like Sizzling 70s and All-sorts weekends. Have a look at their playlist over the last 2 or 3 weekends and you’ll be amazed.

1 Like

And Derail FM Listeners, No Thanks!

I just heard How do you do. By Mouth and MacNeal on 2ue. Seems like a very 4kq track.

1 Like

This has always been a problem with all the ACE radio stations. They are way too safe and they can become very boring if listening to the stations for a long period of time.

3 Likes

After listening to 4BH at work for about a week I agree that their playlist is too safe.They are playing 60s and 70s songs that everyone knows,not something that makes you think,”Wow, I haven’t heard that song for ages” :confused:

4 Likes

2UE plays a good mix of classic hits, easy listening, classic rock and Motown. The playlist is quite good. It’s far better under ACE management than it was under Nine. I like hearing some of the songs that were also played on Smooth when it first launched 10 years ago.

2 Likes

Looks like Laurel, Gary & Mark is waiting for ACE to contact them for them jump ship and join 4bh.

They can host 4bh breakfast while Trevor Sinclair does 2ue breakfast. Come on Mark Taylor (ACE GM) do it

7 Likes

Or Maybe, 4BC could add one of them to Host 9-12 Weekdays.

1 Like

And also grab Brent James as well.

3 Likes

According to 4BH website, Scott Menz is currently doing Evenings on the station. If it’s the same Scott Menz (former Triple M Brisbane Content Director), he’ll be their first/only current local voice on the station so far.

Next week, another shuffle of presenters. With Cathy Jubb doing 6am to 12pm and Dave Ferguson doing 12pm to 6pm all week (likely due to non-ratings).

5 Likes

Just heard a promo voiced by Jonesy and Amanda Promoting their “new home in Brisbane for JAM Nation” in mid July on 4BH at 6pm.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. Even more evidence they’ve nabbed Laurel and co.

Yep. Just updated my post above to reflect it will be on BH. Sorry.

You reckon they’re moving to 4BH too?