Nine Radio (Music)

Only for this survey according to Radiotoday. Because the format changed halfway through. They are supposed to be back next survey.

2 Likes

The automation went a bit wonky after the AFL game yesterday, aired some 2GB ads before cutting back into music.

Then at 4:40pm it threw to the news, obviously no news played so there was 10 or so seconds of silence before music resumed.

2 Likes

Magic DAB+ in Melbourne has correct song info text, plus the tagline has been changed slightly to “Melbourne’s Best Music, Magic1278”

2 Likes

Anyone else a bit bummed that the Nine Radio Music stations don’t really have decent websites (and link to their talk radio websites for content)?

It’d be nice to eventually see more resources go into these websites down the track.

2 Likes

Agreed, been driving in a work car with DAB and enjoying the music mix on Magic1278. Would never listen on AM sadly though.

Love no ads and chatter but do enjoy the proper news service. Great alternative.

5 Likes

The stations could actually perform quite well considering every other station is full of COVID-19 news.

6 Likes

If this was on FM even with ads it’d do good business

1 Like

I think it needs presenters to have a chance of being successful in ratings terms, regardless of whether it’s on AM, FM or DAB.

3 Likes

I agree.

Also as much as many listeners might love the lack of ads, I think 2UE/Magic 1278/4BH really needs some (even if they’re just bonus spots from 2GB/3AW/4BC) along with decent promos if they’re to sound like “proper” commercial radio stations…if you know what I mean. Otherwise, it’s just like listening to an automated stream of music with hourly news and the odd sweeper thrown in.

2 Likes

At the moment 2UE is fulfilling a useful function for background music in the car when I can’t/don’t want to listen to my Spotify station.

5 Likes

I would like them get some community station shows like, The live rock report, Its time, Awesome 80s, the Mechie show, Instant Karma (which is a Beatles show) etc. Have someone like Busco for breaky would be perfect (although I like the way he controls the music which may not fit in 2ue’s format). Maybe simulcast the show :slight_smile: you can hear on SWR and 2UE. Might be too far fetched the idea. :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

The music is good, but the station lacks presence. Surely to god they could now launch a live breakfast and drive. A little bit of cross promotion in Channel 9 news, possibly the weather segment. A long the lines of "be listening to Magic 1278 tomorrow morning between 6 and 9 to hear … and have your chance to win $1278.00.

1 Like

I quite like these suggestions.

Surely there’s a syndicated pre-recorded music show that Nine could play across the music stations… kind of like what My Generation was.

3 Likes

What I’d do is a national bbc radio 2 style breakfast show 6-10am with music heavy format with someone like Jono Coleman. Lots of talk about the music.

Rest of the time as is, I love the lack of chatter and none sense but I think it does need one flagship show that could also be syndicated to other markets as well.

5 Likes

Now you’re talking. BBC Radio 2 is what’s missing in Australia. While the music might have gone a bit too new and eclectic in the UK on R2 it’s still a great listen. I’m tuned to it most days at work as I love the overnight shows too which are heavily music focused - a mix of eclectic and mainstream from 60s to now. Overall it’s very engaging.

2 Likes

On the contrary: I was stuck in a waiting room for an hour on Wednesday and the internet radio had Radio 2 on. It certainly felt less like the ‘hip and cool’ Radio 2 I wrote about last year - though being 4am UK time it was re-running one of the weekend/night shows. The music selection - don’t quote me, I think it was chart hits from the early 80s predominantly - for this show at least was very safe.

One thing I don’t understand about British radio is that the listener interaction was so bloody mundane. What is it with British radio and reading out text messages? You’re the BBC, you have a national audience, and you’re a radio station. Get them on the phone.

To bring this back on topic: if 2UE/4BH/Magic kept the current music format, tightening up playlist somewhat to really show off the ‘wow’ songs, and added in a bit of life beyond the hourly news bulletins, it’d be a much better sounding station. Everyone is working from home at the moment - Nine have plenty of potential talent to choose from.

1 Like

You were listening to the 80s show. It’s not on every night and isn’t typical of the regular playlist. To each their own but I love the level of interaction when they read out emails and texts. It connects because it’s a national show and it’s kind of ‘homey’ to hear what’s going on in different places. I also prefer that to hearing people call in because I find that jarring and people who call are usually incredibly boring and have an inflated sense of their level of interestingness. Having said that they do have the occasional caller overnight but they are good at screening out the dimwits.

2 Likes

Unlike the Super Radio Network sometimes !

3 Likes

AirCheck has released its music crossover report of Nine’s music radio stations with its competitors, including WSFM, Smooth, 2CH, Gold 104.3 & 4KQ.

Have a read here: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/nine-radio-analysis-aircheck-australia

1 Like

Maybe Smooth Relax and Hit Easy could have been included in that comparison? Hopefully they will in do so in the future.