Nine Radio (Music)

That’s not as far fetched as it sounds…Bill may indeed have been consulted. He is the undisputed king of bare bones radio.

2 Likes

When they switched formats back to music on 4BH there was a lot of work to do as it was all optimized by myself and Steve Exton for speech (TLS, then MSR). Trev has done a great job, replaced processors and done lots of work to get it to where it is today on the AM.
4BC was a different story, the sound of that station was changed to get a better cut through due to complaints from on-air staff that listeners could not hear us on the fringes. Again, Steve and I worked together and with Mike at Orban to get it to where it was - downside was the IM distortion that some found difficult to listen to, but more people could hear and understand Ray and Mark. I then passcode locked the Orban to keep sticky fingers out of it. He’s still upset about that I see. I left MM November 2018. Rgs, Andrew.

5 Likes

4BC has always had issues on the fringes e.g Redland Bay, Cleveland, Ipswich… mind you there is a guy Seattle Washington that receives 4BC very regularly.
NO amount of processing change would fix this… even more output power would have made very little difference due to the inefficiencies in the antennas.

The distortion your talking about was a fault in the STL… the Optimod was making that fault more noticeable on air. its the old story… Shit in Shit out.

I dont quite understand why you would go to Orban its very easy, you load the “talk” preset and do your tweaking to give you your signature sound, Lock it with a password to stop fiddling.
then you move on and do something more important.

6 Likes

Have to agree. Was in the 4BC listening area in September last year and noticed immediately how distorted and crap it sounded. Remember thinking that something was seriously wrong there, and no it wasn’t because Hadley and Levi were yelling into it too much!

I haven’t used the AM optimods but can tell you any preset on the FM units would sound better than that with any reasonable input material and healthy tx chain after it.

2 Likes

Talk preset - which it is now and a STL that has a flat response 50-16000 KHz at 0.023 % distortion from Cannon Hill to Nudgee

3 Likes

Been told the abrent present will be out in the next firmware update.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Is 0.023% good?

Is it any better than 12% ?? Audio yes, Rum No

Have you got pics of the before and after? Bob might want for a white paper

Just an update with the text on 2ue, well the graphic has still got the Steve Miller Band.

But the normal text has Elton John. It’s still the wrong song.

2 Likes

4BH now playing has disappeared altogether. That Fox on the run has run as far as they can?

3 Likes

It’s been dead air as early as 1pm this afternoon. Is it still not back?

And, ooh ooh ooh ooh, oh, change is gonna do me good.

1 Like

Well the text appears to fixed on 2ue. :blush:

1 Like

Around 2:37 pm (EDT) yesterday the audio stopped on Magic 1278 (AM version) halfway through a song. About 30 seconds later the transmitter stand by “tape” kicked in playing CCR. I’m guessing that’s what it was. It sounded so much better and louder even on a crappy car radio.

Shortly after the song that was originally playing came back and it sounded very average again. What are they doing in there?

I think the music feed is being sourced from Sydney and that’s being sent via a pretty low quality link. Brisbane seems to have the same problem.

No real complaints from me about the sound quality on 2UE DAB though.

Thanks to Magic for letting me know about the road closures around Kings Domain for Moomba. I’ll make sure to avoid going there yesterday :laughing:

1 Like

As discussed previously, Nine Music have pulled out of the S/M/B surveys…another big cost saving for them. Smart business move.

Makes sense as they aren’t airing ads

3 Likes