Nine Radio (Music)

If that does happen, wonder whether that suggests MSR might continue next year in a hybrid type of model (being a rolling sports news service outside of live sport and breakfast/drive/Roy & HG)?

Can’t see a new format replacing MSR if Nine keep bringing back former MSR shows one at a time

3 Likes

Hmm. Doing the same thing and hoping for a different result is the definition of madness.

2 Likes

The key will be to move all Sport from 2GB over to MSR. Regardless of sponsorship and ratings it was madness not to do this from the very start. 2GB can talk sport but not call any games. They have at least a couple of months to sort this out. Maybe live shows breakfast and drive and rolling sports news during the day or maybe some light talk.

1 Like

One would think it would get a massive push from the tv and newspapers. There was hardly any awareness of it.

Only if ALL sports moves to MSR then there’d be room for its success.

1 Like

What MML should do is go into a partnership with Disney Australia and rebrand MSR into ESPN Australia. That might save it

Or ditch the niche 24/7 sport talk and make some money again.

2 Likes

Can anyone confirm what’s happening at MSR? They’re running talkSport UK right now at 11:20am on a Monday.

At least Caralis doesn’t just stream international radio over the holiday break.

2 Likes

News Corp giving Nine cheap content?

1 Like

Can’t imagine them doing that whilst Nine are in partnership with Fairfax.

So Nine is paying News Corp top money for the talkSPORT programs?

1 Like

They should take Radio Caroline instead; they’d get more listeners that way for sure.

3 Likes

Or simulcast 2GB on 954 :rofl:

Let’s face it, the listeners would already know the ex-2UE… I mean 2GB announcers.

1 Like

It’s definitely a great playlist and would rate well with the right promotion. We are missing really great music playlists like Radio Caroline in this country.

1 Like

Nine launching a new sports show on 2GB and 4BC shows they don’t have a lot of faith in MSR, I think.

6 Likes

I am beginning to think that Sportsbet need to allow us to get some odds on how long before MSR is off the air?

Will MSR be gone before:

• Next week?
  • Christmas?
  • New Years Day?
  • Autumn?

And for a real outside bet - will it still be around on the first Tuesday in November 2020?

5 Likes

I reckon by Easter next year (and even that’s being generous), Macquarie Sports Radio will probably become “2GB/3AW/4BC/6PR Extra” or similar - basically NTS with slightly more interesting content, such as overlap sports coverage.

4 Likes

Forever Classic 2UE is my vote, using the 2ca log.

2 Likes

MSR will cover every game of Big Bash League live this season, regardless of which team is playing. In the last two seasons, MSR only broadcast BBL matches in the home city or cities of the teams involved, except for Adelaide Strikers v Hobart Hurricanes.
https://bigbashnation.com.au/broadcast-guide/

1 Like

Obviously a different call to SEN?