Nine Radio (Music)

Isn’t Mark Taylor on some sort of retainer with Nine? Probably just getting their money worth

5 Likes

Yes, I seem to recall he is employed by Nine.

According to today’s Herald Sun, Taylor will call three test matches for MSR this summer: the Pakistan Tests in Brisbane and Adelaide, and the Sydney Test against New Zealand in January.

1 Like

Will he be a commentator or just special comments?

Doing ball by ball commentary on radio is a lot different to TV as it has to be a lot more descriptive since there is no accompanying vision.

1 Like

Special comments i’d imagine although it would be nice to see more former cricketers do ball by ball.

Despite my lack of interest in MSR, it’s good that Nine have an outlet for their cricket talent that’s left whilst 7 has the current round of TV rights. They’re now back in cricket, albeit not via TV

6 Likes

And you can bet there’ll be ads galore for MSR on Nine in the lead up to each broadcast. Possibly even during news bulletins.

3 Likes

They may as well call it Nine’s Wide World Of Sports Radio.

3 Likes

Just Employ Billy Birmingham and you do not have to pay the rest.

6 Likes

Marvelousssss stuff that!

Today were promoting the MSR coverage this morning

5 Likes

And it’s begun!

1 Like

Whilst they have the rights already paid, I can see why it’s useful to keep going with the format.

Once they conclude, it makes less sense.

Here were three licenses that made money for their owners that are not.

Shift the sport content in Nov - Feb to the talk stations when alternative formats are developed that will suit each of the three capital cities requiring tailor made responses.

You can read the implications in Tom Malone’s comments re Stephen Beers’ reinstatement that Nine is still tight on spending for these radio assets, as bad as the savings MRN sought post Fairfax merge.

Also remember that Nine operate TV as a network (only news, commercials and promos are different, TV version of 4BC and all three licenses within the MSR disaster) and likely think that will work on radio as much as they can get away with.

PS. @martp, thanks for watching breakfast television to let us know. I guess it’s good for light entertainment in 2019, sadly a far cry from the useful content in the 90’s on Today.

1 Like

What I don’t get, is other stations such as Triple M manage to have sporting rights - NRL, AFL and previously cricket - and yet they were able to balance music, talk & sport. Likewise at 2SM & even 2GB with the NRL and Olympics.

Why can’t the MSR network just do the same?

They don’t have to go all out & be a 24/7 sports network. They can have a different offering most parts of the day and just break for sporting calls.

I miss the balance like back in the 2UE days where you just knew when they’d have sporting agreements that would cut into regular programming.

1 Like

3ee The Breeze 693 if I remember correctly had afl rights and played music and had talk

2 Likes

I beg to differ with you. one of the main reasons i don’t listen to MMM is i don’t know what i’m going to get. Will i get NRL… It could be AFL … could be talkback… could be music…

MMM is a hodgepodge and it doesn’t help the brand in cap cities as there is no consistency over the week.

2 Likes

Is the same said if you were listening to 2GB, 2SM or 3AW? That you won’t know whether you’ll hear sport or talk?

2GB is talkback with NRL on the weekend
3AW is talkback with AFL on the weekend
2SM is… okay, fair point.

Triple M is rock, sport and comedy. Except in regional markets, where it’s any number of things.

5 Likes

I agree with you.

That’s also the reason I don’t listen to Triple M on FM. The jumping around from music to sport to talk is unacceptable to me.

How I wish Triple M was just like Absolute Radio or Virgin in the UK.

1 Like

An AM talk station is different to a supposed FM music station. Mixing sport and talk on AM is fine and expected.

3 Likes