Nine Radio (Music)

I would like them get some community station shows like, The live rock report, Its time, Awesome 80s, the Mechie show, Instant Karma (which is a Beatles show) etc. Have someone like Busco for breaky would be perfect (although I like the way he controls the music which may not fit in 2ue’s format). Maybe simulcast the show :slight_smile: you can hear on SWR and 2UE. Might be too far fetched the idea. :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

The music is good, but the station lacks presence. Surely to god they could now launch a live breakfast and drive. A little bit of cross promotion in Channel 9 news, possibly the weather segment. A long the lines of "be listening to Magic 1278 tomorrow morning between 6 and 9 to hear … and have your chance to win $1278.00.

1 Like

I quite like these suggestions.

Surely there’s a syndicated pre-recorded music show that Nine could play across the music stations… kind of like what My Generation was.

3 Likes

What I’d do is a national bbc radio 2 style breakfast show 6-10am with music heavy format with someone like Jono Coleman. Lots of talk about the music.

Rest of the time as is, I love the lack of chatter and none sense but I think it does need one flagship show that could also be syndicated to other markets as well.

5 Likes

Now you’re talking. BBC Radio 2 is what’s missing in Australia. While the music might have gone a bit too new and eclectic in the UK on R2 it’s still a great listen. I’m tuned to it most days at work as I love the overnight shows too which are heavily music focused - a mix of eclectic and mainstream from 60s to now. Overall it’s very engaging.

2 Likes

On the contrary: I was stuck in a waiting room for an hour on Wednesday and the internet radio had Radio 2 on. It certainly felt less like the ‘hip and cool’ Radio 2 I wrote about last year - though being 4am UK time it was re-running one of the weekend/night shows. The music selection - don’t quote me, I think it was chart hits from the early 80s predominantly - for this show at least was very safe.

One thing I don’t understand about British radio is that the listener interaction was so bloody mundane. What is it with British radio and reading out text messages? You’re the BBC, you have a national audience, and you’re a radio station. Get them on the phone.

To bring this back on topic: if 2UE/4BH/Magic kept the current music format, tightening up playlist somewhat to really show off the ‘wow’ songs, and added in a bit of life beyond the hourly news bulletins, it’d be a much better sounding station. Everyone is working from home at the moment - Nine have plenty of potential talent to choose from.

1 Like

You were listening to the 80s show. It’s not on every night and isn’t typical of the regular playlist. To each their own but I love the level of interaction when they read out emails and texts. It connects because it’s a national show and it’s kind of ‘homey’ to hear what’s going on in different places. I also prefer that to hearing people call in because I find that jarring and people who call are usually incredibly boring and have an inflated sense of their level of interestingness. Having said that they do have the occasional caller overnight but they are good at screening out the dimwits.

2 Likes

Unlike the Super Radio Network sometimes !

3 Likes

AirCheck has released its music crossover report of Nine’s music radio stations with its competitors, including WSFM, Smooth, 2CH, Gold 104.3 & 4KQ.

Have a read here: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/nine-radio-analysis-aircheck-australia

1 Like

Maybe Smooth Relax and Hit Easy could have been included in that comparison? Hopefully they will in do so in the future.

I call this the ‘Hello Mrs. Jones’ approach and it’s very pervasive on British radio, using radio programmes for social interaction. You get that on ABC Local Radio sometimes but it’s generally not the done thing here.

1 Like

I’m guessing that the stuff that WSFM plays but 2UE doesn’t is the much more modern stuff? I haven’t heard 2UE venture too far beyond the 90s/mid 2000s much.

2 Likes

Do these stations only program 12 hours of music and then repeat that twice for the day?

Today on 4BH before the 1pm news they played Crazy by Seal and then after the 1pm news they played Friday On My Mind by The Easybeats and listening tonight the same songs were played before and after the 1am news.

5 Likes

Ah yes! Playlist recycling at its best!
Although I don’t get why the songs are in the same order. Today, even basic music scheduling software, where playlist recycling is an option, will schedule the same songs in a given time frame, but shuffle them in a different order!

1 Like

Well at least it’s business as usual regardless of COVID-19 for all 2UE/4BH/Magic announcers :rofl:

6 Likes

Found the ‘New’ 4BH yesterday while scrolling through my AM presets in the car .The music wasn’t too bad at all👍Another choice to listen to if driving through the Clem 7 tunnel or when DAB is out of range. I don’t mind the lack of talk and just music at all.

5 Likes

Yes 882 is now my station of choice in the tunnels, along with 693 of course. Good to have a choice especially if you’re doing both tunnels in succession as you can be down there quite a long time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure if any other stations are taking this, but I heard an ATN traffic presenter do a COVID-19 update on 2UE. Presented the same way a regular traffic report is done and with a sponsor credit at the end.

Is this just a service that ATN is currently offering?

Sounded good hearing more than just news and traffic on 2UE… gives it a bit of currency.

1 Like

2GB also had the same.

1 Like

Well I feel the music mix is pretty good, with them playing the Angels, Simon and Garfunkel, Beach Boys and Rick Ashley. Certainly still different from 2ch. I am not sure how it will rate with no advertising, no breakfast show or announcers. It’s certainly strange to have a station as famous as 2ue was, to be like a digital only station. 2020 has been strange year so far. Anyway when in the right mood it’s certainly a great listen, from a music prospective, in my view. Not sure how sustainable it is though, guess enjoy it while it lasts.

3 Likes