Nine News Local

Just freeze him and use him in another 20 years :wink:

Another day, another place name error. They’ll never get the confidence of local viewers if they can’t get the basics right. The place name is “Shellharbour” not “Shell Harbour”. It’s only one of the fastest growing local government areas in regional NSW.

4 Likes

I’m still trying to come to terms as to why they chose Vanessa… they literally have a surplus of presenters that are better than her…

2 Likes

That’s pathetic!

Although perhaps I shouldn’t be too surprised, some of the geographical howlers I’ve seen on recent Sydney-based TV news reports include the placing of New Italy (in the Northern Rivers region) and Newcastle as being on the Mid North Coast! :confused:

3 Likes

Was this on Nine News Sydney?

If so, they have an interesting grasp of NSW geography, as it would place Newcastle on the Mid North Coast only 50 km from Cessnock in the Central West!

2 Likes

I think it was a report from Nine News Sydney, which wouldn’t be surprising remembering that they’ve placed Raymond Terrace as being “on the state’s Central Coast” during a national bulletin before!

1 Like

So they effectively have the Central Coast as being north of the Mid North Coast?

Very intriguing geography indeed!

2 Likes

The Sydney reporters get things wrong. Lake Macquarie is geographically in the lower Hunter, but according to them it’s always the Central Coast.

2 Likes

I have always hated the regional broadcasting attitude that nothing comes from one single town - it’s from a bland farm or river somewhere! Prime TV is a bad offender of this and I argued with the head of programming about this 15 years ago!

It’s the same in radio where announcers aren’t allowed to talk about the town they are broadcasting to but refer to “the studio”.

TNT in Launceston used to announce programmes as being “Live from our studios in Launceston” even though they broadcast across Northern Tasmania. I truly think there is more to be gained by anchoring to one place rather than broadcasting from the stratosphere.

The thinking is that viewers will turn off if they think they are watching/listening to a broadcast anchored to a nearby town, rather than the one they are in. Clearly nonsense, but still the patronising approach continues with Nine Regional News.

Obviously this situation is slightly different, as the news is from Melbourne, but the point I’m trying to make is just be SOMEWHERE. No trees, no farms, no bland mountain ranges.

5 Likes

Come to NZ mate, you can’t help but notice everything is piped out of Auckland!

5 Likes

I completely agree @CTC7-9-10

This whole viewers will turn off because it is not my city on the background is nonsense.

Viewers all around Australia watch Sydney and Melbourne backdrops constantly.

NBN and SC use backdrops that are so generic they have no local tie at all.

I grew up in a large own in NNSW in the shadow of a few larger cities in the viewing area. It made sense to me that local news came from Coffs Harbour at the time - as that was the largest city in the viewing area. It was not a turn off to see a Coffs backdrop - it made sense. I didnt expect the news to be broadcast from my town. And you’re right it is a bit insulting / patronizing to find a generic farm / trees / coastline shot and say “hey here were are - in generic land over here”

The Riverina backdrop is farmland. And this Border North East backdrop is a rusty rural bridge.

Albury-Wodonga is the doemianmnyt city in the area - and that should feature. And I agree - to be SOMEWHERE looks better than to be NOWHERE (generic)

1 Like

I’d have thought one of the most historically important bridges in the country, spanning the country’s most iconic river, joining two large regional cities in two states is perfect for a news bulletin which serves those cities.

All that news coming out of Sydney gives us a rusty old bridge as their backdrop.

4 Likes

Four weeks ago everyone was having kittens over the fact that the backdrop for the Central West bulletin was a streetscape in Orange, which makes me think this line of thinking is highly contextual.

For what it’s worth, I quite like NNCW’s current backdrop, which is a…wheat field? Some sort of farmland. The geography of the shot they’ve chosen is representative of the geographic look of the tablelands and surrounding areas, which I think goes some way to making the bulletin “local” without having it anchored in one population centre (issues with Vanessa aside).

3 Likes

But do they pretend it’s anything else?

They got this right tonight. “Shellharbour” was seen on screen as one word. Unfortunately they added an “s” to the name of the shopping centre. Stockland, not Stocklands. I know, I’m nit picking now.

5 Likes

A lot of people seem to do this all the time, which shits me.

We have 2 Stockland shopping centres in Townsville which a lot of people also call “stocklands”, Myer is “Myers”, sizzler is “Sizzlers”.

No idea why people do that!

5 Likes

Myer was known as Myer’s Stores for about half their existence, so that probably explains them.

“Westfields” :sweat:

9 Likes

Nine News Central West has crossed to the Sydney bulletin for the London terror attack coverage.

2 Likes
8 Likes