Nine News Local

Nine News Illawarra Facebook page is live streaming a conference with police this morning.

1 Like

thank you now i know why the weather is never accurate lol

Does Win use the same temperature? I wonder if Nine realise itā€™s a 9am reading and not later in the afternoon.

Oā€™Hanlonā€™s mispronunciations of suburb names is getting embarrassing. There are plenty of ex WIN Wollongong employees in the Nine Sydney newsroom who could teach her how to correctly pronounce suburb names like Towradgi and Unanderra.

Another laughable error was their coverage of the World Cup Indoor Bowls event at Warilla. Vision of players at a completely different event and venue was interspersed with vision shot at Warilla Bowling Club. They need to realise that people familiar with these communities are well aware when they cut corners like this.

7 Likes

Yes, I agreeā€¦ youā€™d think theyā€™d have someone there like Richie Benaud did with the cricket commentary team regarding name pronunciation lessons on the Pakistani players ā€œIkeepmyteethinajarbesidethebedā€ :blush:

At the ABC the newsreaders try (at least they did in years gone by) to pronounce words correctly. If Oā€™Hanlon doesnā€™t know she should be asking.

1 Like

Well, more fool WIN who should have negotiated a discount based on their half our of news per night.

It has been widely reported that should media laws change, allowing the networks to buy up all regional affiliates, that local content requirements would be increased. Indeed Nine News Canberra ran a story in its first bulletin noting the Communications Minsiter Mitch Fifield looked favourably upon Nineā€™s investment.

Nine makes news at all of its stations. Darwin, Newcastle and Gold Coast certainly are classified as ā€˜Regionalā€™ - so the rollout of 15 new bulletins is just an extension of their existing strategy.

Iā€™d say there are three aspects at play:

1. Nine is trying to demonstrate itā€™s a good ā€˜corporate citizenā€™ and would provide local news should it be allowed to gobble up SCAā€™s TV assets
  2. SCA had an ambominable news output - which acutally tarnished the Nine News brand - so it had to go
  3. Nine wants to snap up the advertisers who are faithful to WIN local news

For a network the size of Nine, two camera operators and three journos per market is nothing. As long as they can beat 7 News in Canberra and Wollongong, it will be worth it.

In Canberra they should be tracking viewers who watch 7 News from Sydney then migrate to ABC for local news. Nine is continuing to pepper the Canberra bulletin with parochial Sydney content about commuter buses - which hardly differentiates them from 7 News! For a market with an above average population of tertiary educated viewers, they really need to introduce more international news - and I donā€™t mean ā€œLook what Trump did today!ā€

4 Likes

I think you just hit the nail in the head that none of us have thought about.

Itā€™s ALWAYS about money, politics and favors in Canberra

This indeed absolutely makes Nine look like a hero in Canberra. 1 hour editions of 9 News in 15 new markets - plus Gold Coast, darwin, and the existing 6 markets in NNSW

Nine just indeed sweetened the deal to help get media reform through. Itā€™s always about buying off Canberra!

And once the new regulations kick in - Nine is already meetings and exceeding them.

Like protecting The the ante siphoning list with sport - media reform is where the REAL money is for networks.

This news investment is peanuts if Nine gets what it wants from Canberra

4 Likes

Itā€™s no coincidence Canberra was the first market to be aggregated in 1989. There was a big push from politicians who were fed up with missing out on their favourite TV shows when they came to Canberra.

On a side note, anyone wanting to see the quality of news broadcast from the Watson TV studios (Then owned by Network Ten) 30 years ago can see a decent clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVuiJAw7SHQ

Nine Regional still have a long way to go to get the presentation up to the standards of 19 bloody 88!

5 Likes

The good old days when newsreaders and weather casters were In the same room in a studio in the city they were presenting the news for

Not another city or state up to 1000k away with everything pre recorded

4 Likes

Hopefully after 12 months, Nine will see just how valuable truly local bulletins are and will do two things:

1. Open a regional studio per state to produce the bulletins in the regional areas (e.g. CTC studios used to produce all SNSW bulletins); what is currently done with NBN and STQ.
  2. Give all on-the-ground reporters the ability to adjust teleprompt scripts and file the original ā€˜metroā€™ version and an altered ā€˜regionalā€™ version of a story thatā€™s less Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane centric.

All things considered, the bulletins have come together reasonably well (especially after the VIC launch). The only way to go is up.

5 Likes

I really hope Nineā€™s plans for Queensland arenā€™t involving a shoebox studio at Mt Coothaā€¦

Queensland is a huge state. I donā€™t understand why they would invest in a Springfield studio and newsroom and not invest in a similar setup in Townsville or Rockhampton, from where they could record the news. I get that means moving production staff and so forth to a new city, but that shouldnā€™t really be an excuse when Seven QLD do most of their stuff from outside of Brisbane as well.

2 Likes

Existing studios and facilities and staff V the cost of setting up brand new ones. Iā€™d say itā€™s a fraction

No, the Springfield studio was set up only a couple of years back.

I get that QTQ is probably the best place financially for Nine to set up facilities, but theyā€™re going to lose against Seven Local almost immediately unless they nail the local factor on day 1. Seven does their news from the Sunny Coast and they absolutely dominate the state outside of Brisbane since theyā€™ve managed to do away with the big-city feel.

2 Likes

Maroochydire is no closer to the rest of Queensland than Brisbane.

Perhaps 75k
Closer in a state that runs about 1500km north to south

Seven has no local factor - except in one market. Sunny coast.

Seven will
Be a dominant #1 for a long time. Itā€™s going to take a lot years if. It a decade for nine to challenge for #1 in local news up there. Seven is incredibly well established

2 Likes

Any news articles on how the two resent Victorian Bulletins are going in the ratings?

None.

Nor on riverina or central west (nsw)

I think the Springfield studio is just that and similar to the Gold Coast in that there is no control room so that the news bulletins from there are all controlled from Mt Coot-tha. So the investment there is comparatively limited compared to the requirements for the new regional bulletins. I canā€™t see Nine wanting to make such a long-term investment outside of their current broadcast area. Who knows what the media landscape will look like in 4 years time when the current affiliation agreement runs out.

3 Likes

Youā€™re right on all three counts. Nine wanted their brand out there, WIN were an enemy rather than an ally, SCA was the option (SCA have said radio is their focus), and changing the media rules requires showing commitment to better serving regional areas, so the current government which is ideologically inclined to remove/reduce regulation can without further pissing off their regional voters (destroying the NBN was bad enough).

I agree; it should be easy for 9News to replace their Sydney local news filler stories with reports from an international source (for example they air reports from the American ABCNews from time-to-time, such as in their 11:30 news, but it needs to be more non-US news).
The general problem is 9News isnā€™t too interested in international news; they probably see the audience for world news as small and people whoā€™d probably change channels to SBS anyway (or ABC News at 19:00), but whatever they do, local news stories from the state capital city needs to go.

I just had a look at 9News.com.au, clicked on the LOCAL menu, chose CANBERRA (Iā€™d expected to see ACT next to NSW, QLD, VIC, etc.), and saw 0 (zero) local stories (going back to mid-Feb); instead it was just federal politics.
Absolutely pathetic.
Nine still have plenty of work to do.

2 Likes

The regional bulletins are slowly getting better, just compare the first NSW bulletin in Canberra to the first Victorian bulletin in Bendigo. Granted, it still has a long way to go, but itā€™s a bit unfair to judge a service when itā€™s only a month oldā€¦

4 Likes