Nine News Local

The weather is odd to me - more than HALF the duration the 2:20 report is spent telling me what the weather WAS and already has been. I understand the interest to know what the weather was during the day - but I think people are a lot more interested in the forecast of what its ill be. They could recap the weather today in 15 seconds - and then get into forecasting the weather.

Shows the difference a top-notch, experienced newsreader makes.

I don’t want to sound mean but the reality is that Vanessa just isn’t very good. I’m sure she works hard but to be honest she’s not even at daytime bulletin standard yet let alone 6pm.

5 Likes

Wow!
9 News VIC is soo much more polished than NSW!

Much closer to the standard I was expecting from Nine.

While I do like Gavin Morris, I actually preferred that weather report to what is received in NSW. Graphics are nicer and match the metro bulletin perfectly, and the report is actual clear, rather than the slightly blurry version from NBN.

1 Like

What’s with the generic backdrop there? Just clouds?

Agree with everything you said there, except the sound effects. Seriously, are these needed on any bulletin? Do they add anything? And what’s with that clanging sound at the end of every swoosh?

If you ask me, Nine News VIC is just so much better than Nine News NSW. I know not many agrees with me, but I personally like the ‘Cool Hand Luke’ theme used in Melbourne compared to Sydney and everyone else, because I feel that section of the theme gives out a more serious tone for the news, and Jo is awesome. Overall, I don’t think Victorians lost much presenter-wise with the transition from Pete to Jo compared to NSW’s transition between Pete and Vanessa, and the content is quite good.

2 Likes

The first 2 stories went out to both Bendigo and Ballarat (St Arnaud is relevant to both viewing areas) , the local window kick in after that about 4 minutes in and lasted for 5 to 6 minutes with it ending displaying Bendigo Petrol prices, so it ended within 10 minutes. The next local window kicked in during the 2nd half of the sports report at 49th minute mark lasting for 4 minutes leading into the local weather.

My view is the opening of the bulletin was perfect with the live cross that was relevant to both viewing area, the local content was fine and refreshing compared to Win that sometimes seems rushed. It was also good to see a report in Swan Hill that had interviews something that Win barley does and when they do mention Swan Hill its not a report just Bruce Roberts reading it out with no footage. It seems strange to have all the local content in one go and then go off to national stories, I also really did not like the story selection outside of the local windows they should be airing more Melbourne stories that is more relevant to the viewers.

Sports started off the same way as the bulletin started off with a live cross to a country location Kyabram where the Essendon FC was. Then with the normal sports stories before the local sports window kicked in which finished with some nice banter between the presenters.

Weather graphics where nice but it was all over the place. Showing a imagine of the Murray River at Echuca as a back ground to Bendigo forecast was just weird. They did the fly over panning up for today weather starting at Melbourne ending in Swan Hill but then when they do tomorrow forecast only focus on the western side of the state giving forecast out from Mildura down to Geelong leaving in some really minor Wimmera towns that are clearly in the Western Victoria zone while, Its nice they give the long 7 day outlook for Swan Hill but its strange how Echuca does not get the same treatment. Its nice and refreshing to have something new but it certainly still needs work

1 Like

i think any gfx on screen that you want to call the viewers attention to are helped by sound design

Has anyone seen ratings for the central west, riverina and western Victoria yet?

A quick breakdown of the stories last night in Victoria

Live Cross St Arnaud
Riot crackdown (Melbourne)
Local window News
Breaking news Sara Connor Bali
Politics Pauline Hanson
Moomba Festival (Melbourne)

break

Myrniong water facility damaged (Melbourne)
Ethiopia story
Chinese swing ride crash
Caribbean cruise ship
Family health insurance story

break

Sydney Truck driver unstable load
German Supermarkets to enter market
Hati bus crash
Auckland sink hole
Storm South Africa
Queen launching Comm games
Golf in Russia
Statewide weather preview

break

Rare coins in circulation
Finance
Dog Show Birmingham UK
Pharmacy story

break

Sport Live cross Kyabram
General sports stories
Local sports window

break

Weather
Breaking news Sara Connor Bali
Close

I’ll have to check out the clips at a later time but judging by the observations on this forum, Victoria’s editions of the new regional Nine News seem OK.

Sure, Regional Victoria has lost/is losing Peter Hitchener but Jo Hall was his back-up reader (on weekends, and I presume Jo Hall was also Hitchener’s fill-in on weeknights during Summer and the like) for years. Probably comparable to Southern NSW/ACT viewers getting Georgie Gardner on weeknights, perhaps even better than that when you consider how long Jo Hall has been part of Nine News Melbourne for.

I agree, the Southern NSW/ACT regional bulletins should’ve gotten a newsreader which local audiences are familiar with through exposure on a primetime news bulletin.

Of course that’s not to say Vanessa O’Hanlon would be completely unknown to Southern NSW/ACT, because ABC News Breakfast (where O’Hanlon previously presented the weather on) is a national program. But it’s probably fair to say that Southern NSW/ACT viewers at 6pm would be more likely to identify with a newsreader who has previously been seen on one of the Sydney bulletins or WIN News.

So if I drop a Sandra Sully on the bulletin ratings might rise?

You can do that?!

2 Likes

Doesn’t need to be Sandra (she would never leave Ten, especially for a regional bulletin). Nine has at least half a dozen Samantha Heathwoods in their Sydney newsroom already who could all have fronted the new bulletin.

6 Likes

There is always Jayne Azzopardi, Sophie Walsh, Airlie Walsh, Kate Creedon, Cassandra Wood, Lara Vella, Danielle Post and so many more…They had to get Vanessa.

2 Likes

One thing I’m really loving about these new 9 News bulletins is finally seeing live crosses become more frequent from regional areas.

They may not be as frequent or polished as on a metro bulletin, but it’s certainly breath of fresh air so to speak, to see a live cross from a regional area being utilised. That’s definitely something that 9 News will have over Prime7 or WIN.

5 Likes

For anyone who is unfamiliar with Samantha Heathwood presenting:

But then she won’t look so good on telly with a busted nose?

9 Likes

just done a time check for local news for 9 western vic it was 6 minutes

1 Like

Even with Ten’s poor 5pm news ratings in Sydney market, there’s absolutely no way that Sandra Sully would take a step backwards and leave for a regional bulletin. It would have to be something like leaving Ten to present a new 5pm bulletin on Seven or Nine, I think.

I’d definitely like to continue seeing Jayne & Sophie on Sydney’s 6pm bulletin (if anything, their talents deserve to be regularly showcased on a national platform!), but I like some of the other suggestions.

2 Likes