Nine News Local

I have to say that i much prefer this to the previous backdrop in Canberra.

16 Likes

It’s an improvement. No fake plasma though. Centre Vanessa up and it would look great.

2 Likes

The local SCA newsroom in Wagga Wagga and Canberra wouldn’t be very interesting, can’t comment on the other regions though.

For a background, you don’t want it to be too cluttered. For a “Riverina” bulletin, why limit it to just Wagga CBD?

Feedback I’ve gotten from people isn’t great, ask them out of ten and on average got 3/10… They didn’t like the Oscars coverage being the second story in, Sydney Trains and the M4 which they saw as having nothing to do with the Riverina…

1 Like

I like that new backdrop. It sticks to the metro set design somewhat. Maybe the blue lines cheapen it a bit?

6 Likes

OK - the only thing they need to do for each backdrop is change the image to something along the lines of what Canberra have… a skyline type shot of the major centre (eg: Wollongong)

To step it up a notch - see if they can get it on a loop.

OR

Something sunset - ish… (per Canberra shot).

Looks good.

Next step is OTS graphics.

1 Like

A camera on the roof of the SCA building at Watson would look out to Civic and Telstra Tower.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking a camera on the roof attached to a long pole so you can get a multilevel view, but ideally you’d like a remote live shot from a tall building or transmitter tower overlooking a city or something iconic.

Wagga CBD is the downtown heart of the largest centre in the viewing region. Probably beats a shot of downtown Temora or The Rock Railway Station :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Montage

4 Likes

Yeah, for a green screen set, I don’t mind it at all.
However, it all falls apart when they do the throw to sport and make it obvious that they’re sitting in front of a TV screen with a picture of a TV screen on it for most of the bulletin.

4 Likes

On 9News Canberra during the sport segment the positions of the presenter & that useless SPORT box swapped (left vs right).

Good point. It works as a virtual set but not as a screen graphic. What they should do is remove the curved parts of the new graphic and use a full screen regional image with a simple blue swoosh to the right or left (like MATTB’s mock) with or without a framed OTS.

1 Like

That story would’ve been fine in the Illawarra local segment, but was totally irrelevant to the other areas. (They could make the pre-recorded local segments one story longer.)

Yes but still that local imagery shouldn’t be seen much as most of the time it should be a story-specific background (like every other 9News bulletin).

Trying to be positive, at least they’ve started improving the presentation, and I hope they keep improving until in not too long it’s close to what we expect from 9News.

5 Likes

They need to fix up the Sun rise/set and Moon rise/set, since they aren’t Wagga’s! Looks like today’s temps and forecasts are correct.

Looks like there is issues with the video, as it sometimes gets out of sync with the audio (same issue I had with the SD feed).

Nine News Illawarra Montage (27/2/2017):

1 Like

Getting better. But still looks tokenistic.

I’d rather see some set and use the local skyline for opens closes
To break local window etc and story specific backdrops for other stories.

Canberra and Wollongong need a camera somewhere loooking over the CBS skyline.

Wagga and orange they could film a loop and update a few times a year

But the wagga backdrop is bad. A pond?

But then they’d have to find another story to extend all the other local windows too.

That’s the main bridge in the Wagga CBD which forms part of the main street. Looking at the old 2WG building which still has the original sign. It’s a very iconic shot for locals.

I’m not saying it’s not iconic - but it doesn’t look very photogenic for television. I’m certain there are more stunning ways to capture wagga.

If it’s meant to be a still shot (which it is) it should have some treatment and color effects to make it look more attractive. If it’s meant to be a live shot then it should be a loop

The pond is the Wollundry Lagoon.

@webguy
Show? :wink: I think you meant “station”, and was iconic. :wink: But I agree, the shot is just not television worthy.

Going though the recording, there is an issue with the video side (which I’d say is to do with the transmitter). Been getting encoding errors that causes the video to lag, which gets worse when you try to edit it (rather than play back).

They also need to get some headlines in there…

I actually meant “shot”.