Nine News Local

Probably a delay at SCA’s end swapping from the 9 Sydney to 9 News Regional feeds.

27 Likes

Knowing what SCA Nine are like with their playout sometimes (if it gets outsourced once the current facilities go on the market, I hope they pick NPC rather than MediaHub!), I’m just glad that we haven’t yet seen any bigger playout errors like parts of Nine News Sydney or different regional windows accidentally airing!

I’m sorry but can we just take a moment to look closely as 0.26 of this video, for once people are actually using Ten’s vision (usually its the other way around)

3 Likes

I would like to ask. Where is NPC and what it stands for? Is it better than Mediahub?

NPC = Nine Playout Centre. Located at French’s Forest in Sydney’s North.

3 Likes

My feeling here is that the people in charge of Nine News Regional NSW spent all together too much time worrying about some forms of superficiality (eg. playing out different title cards and having a different image on the green screen for each region) without concentrating enough on others (eg. OTS graphics to break up the visual monotony or having proper openers).

Surely a generic opener with the day’s major national and international headlines is better than the rough jump they have now. If there’s an important pan-regional, local or breaking story, the newsreader could just say “Good evening, those stories coming up soon, but first tonight …” and jump into it that way.

Maybe the problem is that it’s being run out of Nine’s capital city studios. If the network had a studio in Canberra or some other regional centre or, even, Newcastle, the people running the show may a little more attuned to what country residents want, and realise that giving up a little bit of superficial localism would result in a better overall product.

11 Likes

Why so far away from Nine Sydney? Couldn’t they intograte a centre into there?

BCM is on site at HSV-7.

Note: I’ve never seen NPC used as an official acronym before.

1 Like

BCM is a purpose built playout centre and studio centre that was opened in 2002. TCN studios in Sydney are old and do not have the capabilities to run a national playout. Happily to be corrected on this however.

And NPC has been used as an acronym on this site previously.

2 Likes

I think you are spot on.

On the openers:

Obviously they have a clever system where by the one live bulletin starts at 6pm, but they are able to play in over the top 5 seconds 4 unique local open graphics and then swoosh to the local backdrop. That’s why they need the swoosh - they need to wipe, they can’t dissolve.

But if the system is able to play out 4 open GFX at exactly the same time, why can’t they play out 4 openers at the same time, just making sure they are the same length - say 35 seconds.

Venessa would Just have to pre-record them in the 5 minutes before 6pm

Why would that be so hard? Am I missing something?

1 Like

I believe that’s spot on. Their current location is was likely not suitable due to floor space, power supply and network connectivity required to run a state of the art redundant playout facility.

Also since everyone’s known for a while now that Nine Sydney would eventually move from Willoughby, the probably didn’t want to go to the expense and inconvenience of setting up a playout centre twice.

I’d say the reasons would be fairly similar to why WIN chose to build Media Hub in Sydney and not Wollongong.

3 Likes

Frenchs forest is pretty close to Willoughby.

1 Like

Probably getting a bit off topic - but found a fairly informative article on NPC here http://www.smpte.org.au/main/?p=3695

4 Likes

I feel the same about LIVE

3 Likes

and steams Nine, 9Gem, 9Go! 9Life into TCN, GTV, QTQ, NWS, STW geo-blocked markets.

Those poor markets :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I’d rather it be steamed than be scrambled… now THAT would be unwatchable.

2 Likes

Nathan Currie is the Sports Presenter for Vic.

5 Likes

Who? Never heard of him

4 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, Nathan Currie was most recently a reporter at Nine News Perth and before that, was a reporter for WIN News in Regional Victoria for a few years.

1 Like

Looking at Nathan’s LinkedIn profile he has been a reporter/presenter at Nine News Perth since Nov 2015 .l would’ve thought Corey Norris or Mark Macgugan would have been chosen for the role.

4 Likes