Nine News Local

I don’t see the issue. There’s a familiarity with the Sydney reporting team for viewers, and a local report will be exactly that - local, including details the majority of viewers wouldn’t care about.

Sure, it seems like a doubling up of resources but it’s about getting the most relevant story to the viewers.

Has a Darwin/NT story ever made the statewide part of the bulletin, if considered a big enough story? I assume only if it was a story featured in the metro bulletins and considered of national significance.

There was a report and live cross a week or two ago to Alice Springs for some motor racing thing that was happening there, which really had no relevance to anyone outside the NT.

There have been a handful of other occasions, but it’s rare to see NT content in the statewide section.

There is however a nightly mention of the NT in the 6:15 weather preview, which I always think sounds odd when watching the bulletin from a local perspective

2 Likes

Here are the 12 minutes you were talking about @NQCQTV2!

1 Like

Montage and caps of a Darwin bulletin from last week:

6 Likes
2 Likes

Am I only the one who really hates “Nicole’s Weather” or “Presenter’s Name Weather”??

It sounds like I’m going to hear about the weather Nicole encountered today (or will encounter over the next week) wherever she goes.

4 Likes

This will probably sound like I’m channelling @crankymedia a bit here but if you ask me, one year since Darwin lost their only live (AFAIK, the current Nine News Darwin is airing on delay due to the time difference), locally produced commercial TV bulletin (especially for the loss of weekend coverage) isn’t a milestone that should be celebrated.

Sure, we can say that Jonathan Uptin stayed on as co-presenter for about six months but Darwin too would lose “their” newsreader to the weekend editions of Nine News Queensland they now have to watch at 6pm instead of the local bulletin enjoyed previously.

1 Like

I wonder if Nine would ever consider filming a live Darwin/NT composite bulletin in the regional studio on weekends? The studio is empty on weekends, and the Brisbane newsroom is still operating for the statewide weekend bulletin. There would be a cost in keeping Darwin journalists on for weekends, but surely still cheaper than their old operation?

I am pretty sure that why Jono was moved to weekends was so that the bullwtin wasn’t as foreign to Darwin viewers. Of course that doesn’t make up for the weekday bulletin.

1 Like

Good theory although they ran news direct from TCN (supplemented with a local window for some time) for years on weekends before they did a full local weekend bulletin out of Darwin.

3 Likes

Opening story tonight was about a bunch of cars on fire at a staff car park… again, no location was even referenced, but the story was presented from a “local perspective” with the reporter saying “the workers are here working on the new Amart building”.

At this stage my partner looked at me and said “no Amart building, what the hell is she talking about?”, thinking the story was local.

This story was shown statewide, with literally no location mentioned. I got the impression it was a Darwin story… but who knows!

2 Likes

I wonder if/when the ABC’s Media Watch program will finally take a look at the quality of Nine’s regional news coverage.

Don’t know what things are like in Victoria but between the Queensland/Darwin bulletins presenting stories that are possibly from Brisbane as local, Southern NSW/ACT not getting Vanessa O’Hanlon to present bulletins on-location for major stories in their viewing area (such as the Tathra Bushfires & Lib Spill 2) when Peter Overton is for Sydney audiences and TCN continuing to send reporters to Regional NSW for stories which would probably be covered adequately by locally-based reporters…that’s at least enough material for half an episode surely?

2 Likes

Each to their own but I feel that presentation is the thing that’s really bugging me. It’s so cheap.

As many have said it, they should just get a metro desk (and stage) and have a full green studio where they can key in the metro set. Surely it’s got to be cheaper than the current mess they have?

Content should also improve, but I think they should be applauded for at least providing regional viewers with a news service when all Prime do is a relayed Sydney bulletin and WIN providing a half-arsed mess of a bulletin.

2 Likes

Well obviously the presentation of Nine’s regional bulletins are still an issue but improving the quality of the content should be the #1 priority.

To be fair, Prime7 do produce local bulletins for a few areas but they too aren’t without issues. That conversation however is for another topic.

1 Like

I think it is a Nine Queensland thing. I posted a comment last week about a similar occurrence on 9’s Brisbane news where no mention was made of the location of a story about a court appearance for an alleged car thief.

3 Likes

TCN will cover stories in any market if it big enough. Damian Ryan was sent to cover a Perth story. It is how nine works… when a story is big enough TCN takes it. Plus a lot of the regional reporters can barely do a live cross (besides Natassia Apolloni).

2 Likes

Regional Queensland Weather was a statewide (and territory-wide) one.

Garry was in two places at once - also on the Brisbane bulletin.

4 Likes

Thanks for the caps!

Interesting that towns like Katherine, Tennant Creek and Mount Isa get a mention on the weather graphics despite being miles outside the coverage area.

2 Likes

Even Yulara and the Alice

2 Likes