Nine News Local

STQ Sunshine TV Network, owned by Seven.

Sunshine

1 Like

Iā€™d be worried about the summer replacement being betterā€¦

3 Likes

OMG, they are STILL showing Sydney weather stories as headline news in Canberra! They should have done a ā€œhot weather across NSWā€ report and created a story for all markets.

Then they can ā€œreturn to one of our top stories nowā€¦ā€ during the local window and cross to Susie by the river or whatever.

2 Likes

Itā€™s to my knowledge that Vanessa hasnā€™t had a single night off since the Canberra bulletin launched back in February. Apart from her, Mike & Gavin have had a night off.

3 Likes

I think Mike would do a great job of presenting the full bulletin - I wonder if theyā€™d give him a runā€¦

I think Mike has had more than one night off. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve seen Alissa Warren fill in more than once this year. I always thought that maybe theyā€™d use her to fill in for Vanessa.

2 Likes

Alissa Warren would be a great fill in.

There was also at least one occasion this year that Paul Lobb (who of course, presents NBN News and has done fill-in forecasts for Gav up North in the past) presented the Southern NSW/ACT weather forecasts when Gavin Morris was unavailable.

Personally, I think a high quality Nine News Sydney reporter should be given the opportunity to fill-in for Vanessa Oā€™Hanlon.

4 Likes

I think Alissa presented sport for at least two periods - the latest was for three weeks whilst Mike was on leave.

As for Vanessa, she hasnā€™t had a day off this is despite her filling on Weekend Today at some point. I think former Win News presenter Natassia Apolloni will anchor when Vanessa is away.

Donā€™t think Nathan Currie or Sonia Marinelli from Victoriaā€™s news have had a day off either.

1 Like

I agree - sets really arenā€™t that expensive. And they are usually used for well over a decade. I think theyā€™ve just made some poor choices in the style of set for Nine regional.

Nine seemed to find the cash for a decent set in Darwin and Gold Coast which Iā€™ve noted before (and the 50% revenue does stack up!)

The really ANNOYING thing is, SCA has empty studios, with ACRES of room that Nine could have effectively leased.

I donā€™t think Nine has devoted quite enough technical resource to the bulletin judging by the constant hiccups we are seeing.

I canā€™t help but feel if Nine regional news wasnā€™t the ā€œpoor cousinā€ squeezed into a broom cupboard down the corridor, that weā€™d get a better presentation.

Natassia Apolloni ia based in Wollongong isnā€™t she? I donā€™t think she would travel up to Sydney just to fill-in when thereā€™s a truckload of more-than-capable talents who could fill-in for Vanessa who are based in Sydney.

Danielle Post should fill-in. In fact, I think that most of the Sydney based reporters would do a better job than Vanessa.

1 Like

nine news border and north east and I think the rest of victora have been having chris Mitchell doing sport

1 Like

Neal Breen. :joy:

2 Likes

Airlie Walsh, Gabby Boyle, Kelly Fedor?

1 Like

I think the annual operating budget of 9 News SNSW would be a fraction that of 9 News ADL.

A fraction.

Donā€™t you think?

Or you think 9 is devoting more investment to its SNSW News than itā€™s Adelaide News?

The Darwin set was the original Melbourne set before GTV moved to Docklands. No actual money spent on Darwin other than shipping and assembly.

Nineā€™s news staff and resources are already established in metro areas, and working seven days a week. Much easier and cheaper to lump regional production into an existing facility than establish three new ā€œsatelliteā€ operations.

Not saying I necessarily agree but makes perfect business sense.

3 Likes

Well, they found new money for the Melbourne set then, either way they spent money.

Yep, thatā€™s pretty much my point - itā€™s a shame, but itā€™s the reality. Though the Canberra studio is fully functioning, obviously Qld and Vic facilities were mothballed.

However, I still canā€™t for the life of me understand how they justify a GC newsroom 70kms away from Brisbane.

Now that Jo hall is on holidays who will be doing the Victorian edition of 9 news

1 Like

Andrew Lund and Dougal Beatty have both filled in at some point this year. By the looks, Nine News Victoria is the most superior of the regional news bulletins, who are going to have junior anchors presenting.

Only because Melbourne moved premises fron Richmond to Docklands. The size of the new studio and time constraints made it impossible to use the old set at Docklands.