Nine News Local

I think the question meant was why not use the actual regional set for the regional promos?

Because the metro set looks better than a desk and a green screen in a broom closet?

7 Likes

I mean if they’re just filming promos.

1 Like

The second pic is actually them sitting on the metro set. The first pic is of something else, in another studio, for another shot.

Seems true to me. I thought back then that post-aggregation regional news is virtually non-existent like what SC News SA continually does: go on a break from the last week before Christmas then return on the week after New Year’s Day. Yet, Prime and WIN (back then as a Nine affiliate) only does that on the 25th and (in some cases) Boxing Day.

1 Like

SC News has 1 bulletin, WIN and Prime do multiple, as does 9 Regional. Easier when you have other shows with resources to draw from to keep going.

2 Likes

I was told last month that they are not taking “any short breaks”.

However, I too, doubt they will be doing Christmas Day local inserts.

3 Likes

Agreed. It will most likely be treated like a weekend day.

3 Likes

Even NBN doesn’t do local inserts on their Christmas Day bulletins, it’s the same one across all of Northern NSW and there is only one reporter on deck and they are based in Newcastle.

2 Likes

Amanda Bennett presenting Queensland’s weather again this week.

1 Like

Just shows how much better the regional bulletins would look with a real set! Some nice pretty mountains in the back is fine for everyone. Why the obsession for a picture of a local bridge/town hall/river I don’t know.

2 Likes

I think they should invest in some live cameras in the CBD of each of their regional markets that they can green screen in to the bulletin.

But that discussion has been had already.

I’m no fan of green screen acting at sets. It always looks odd and ‘flat’. If they must have localised images, I’d rather it was inset on a fake LCD screen.

You could get a decent effect similar to ABC news hqdefault

1 Like

@CTC7-9-10 I personally disagree, though in this case they wouldn’t really need a CGI set. They could easily get away with a full-length green screen for plain localised backdrops, no CGI or currently half-finished sets included. 80% of the time you only see the backdrop on the metro Nine sets anyway. Plus, the regional studios have fixed cameras anyway.

I also had the idea a while ago that they could film an opening and closing pan on the metro sets daily for the regional presenters and insert them into the broadcast.

They could get away with not “needing” a set, but being clever in how they present the finished product.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve thought this is a good idea too.
Pre-recorded pan in showing the metro set with the generic NBN-style backdrop behind.
Then cut live to the regional set with a massive green screen behind and show the NBN backdrop fade to a live local shot.

For the remainder of the bulletin, green screen on the regional set with a live local shot.

Cross to/from sport, as per now.

Then a pre-recorded closer and pan out from the metro set with the generic backdrop shown again, with the weather presenter shown walking to the desk from the big screen.

A pre-recorded closer like what 7QLD did for pre-recorded regions. Hmmm…ideal, yet judging on Nine News Regional’s efforts, this might affect the flow should a breaking news story erupts right just before closing the bulletin.

1 Like

Obviously there is no such thing as a ‘pan in’ or ‘pan out’ - panorama is only left to right, I think you mean ‘track in’. The trouble with green screen sets is they look awful. WIN News looks awful, as does Nine. I’d rather NO green screen at all, but if they must have it, I’d keep it boxed and less than a third of the backdrop.

I understand we don’t agree on this point, but I guess that’s what a ‘discussion’ is.

I’m not sure what this has to do with it. The fixed cameras are capable of wide shots and MCUs - they have a two shot in every bulletin that’s wider than the presentation frame. They could even splash out and install a second fixed camera for a third kind of shot.

This would be difficult for SNSW, as the weather presenter is in Newcastle, while Vanessa is in Sydney

1 Like