Nine News Local

Wish I had that option, so I didn’t have to watch the local news.

1 Like

9Now.com.au live stream?

Remember all the metro bulletins that are sharing those live crosses too, for example the Perth 4PM news yesterday started with a live cross to Robert Penfold. That would have been on at the same time as Brisbane’s 6PM who probably wanted him aswell I imagine? Adding regional bulletins to the mix might be impossible to coordinate.

1 Like

Not true

A Sinclair reporter in Vegas will
Stand there and do 15-20 live crosses back to back for 2 hours to 15-20 different affiliates around the Us (and not to even mention affiliates from 4 different networks)

But that’s in the context of a much larger team on the ground.

A US network correspondent reporting on a terror incident in Australia would not do 15-20 live crosses to affiliate stations across the US. They would cover off the big markets and then spend the rest of their time writing and putting together packages for the network news and news channel.

What would be more realistic is a generic pre-recorded look live which could be inserted into the NSW, Victorian and Qld bulletins if required (and also the western afternoon bulletins as well).

2 Likes

I doubt it would be that hard… before DST started, they would have crossed to Perth 4PM News, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne without any problem.

Now that DST has started, it would be even easier to add in the Regional bulletin:
Perth 4PM News, Brisbane and Regional QLD would be the only bulletins needing the cross at that specific time.

so.much.headspace.

1 Like

Someone from Nine must be reading this thread.

Live cross to Chris Ulmann tonight after a national political story on 9 News Regional QLD - previously we’ve just had a prerecorded package with him

2 Likes

No audio during Live Cross:

5 Likes

Canberra backdrop went to air during the Illawarra bulletin tonight before a a story on the opening of the new David Jones/Wollongong Gateway refurbishment.

5 Likes

I’ve compared the rundown of 9 News Sydney, Brisbane and Townsville tonight to look at story selection, order, live crosses, and local content.

During each bulletin:
Sydney featured 2 live crosses, one to Canberra and one to Sydney.
Sydney ran 7 minutes of local stories between 6:08pm - 6:17pm, an additional 2 minute story at 6:21pm, 3 minutes at 6:29pm.
Sydney featured 23 minutes of national/international news.

Brisbane featured 7 live crosses, 6 to Brisbane and one to Canberra.
Brisbane ran 9 minutes of local stories between 6:00pm - 6:09pm, an additional 3 minutes at 6:15pm, and a 2 minute story at 6:39pm.
Brisbane featured 19 minutes of national/international news.

Townsville featured 1 live cross to Canberra.
Townsville featured 6 minutes of local stories between 6:08pm - 6:14pm.
Townsville featured 30 minutes of national/international news.

8 Likes

The content appears to be on the right track. But, as noted in FB complaints and previous discussion, the local stories should ideally be more interwoven throughout the bulletin instead of chunks that make the rest of the bulletin bare of “localness”.

1 Like

Would it work if they recorded the local stories individually (not windows) and use the metro format but replace Sydney centric stuff with the local stories? Just do the Sydney bulletin like the list above, but replace Sydney with Canberra/Illawarra/Central West/Riverina stories, so that viewers dont feel like they’ve been ripped off.

It would be very difficult to work from a timing perspective which is why they use the local windows. Remember, they are putting out half a dozen bulletins on a skeleton staff of probably only 2-3 people in the control room each evening. It’s a miracle that there aren’t more meltdowns as it is without adding huge amounts of additional complexity into the mix.

I think the content is as good as we can expect it to be given the format, now they just need to work on improving the presentation and delivery a bit.

6 Likes

Montage of Nine News Illawarra (6.10.2017):

5 Likes

I think this is exactly what they need to do. I.e. same rundown as Sydney/metro (adjusted slightly to allow live crosses on both), with metro stories replaced with local.

As @eddel noted, timing would be difficult, but it’s not impossible… they do a great job at tying all the timing together as it is now, I’m sure they could continue to do that in a different format.

I think the local sport time should be dropped back, to add in more local news, with the local window allocated time being extended to 10 minutes. I’d do 9 minutes news, 1 minute sport.

How I would change the bulletin would be:
Open with local intro - “welcome to 9 News Sunshine Coast, first tonight …”
6:00 - 4 minute local window covering top two most important local stories and 30-45 seconds allocated to a pre-recorded live cross to a local reporter.
6:04 - Top 2-4 major national/international stories.
6:10 - 30-second localised weather snapshot and localised throw to ad break.
6:11 - Ad Break (moved closer to the start of the bulletin)
6:14 - 30-second local window dedicated to 1 or 2 local RVOs.
6:14 - National stories continue.
6:20 - Throw to ad break (non-localised)
6:23 - 3 minute local window covering further local stories.
6:26 - Throw to sport (non-localised) - (earlier in the bulletin to make it feel like plenty of local content has been covered already).
6:29 - Sport (non-localised)
6:35 - 1-minute local sport window.
6:36 - Ad break
6:39 - National stories.
6:49 - Ad break
6:52 - 1-minute dedicated to local story recap/fuel prices.
6:53 - Finance.
6:54 - National Story/“Special Investigation”.
6:57 - Local Weather.
7:00 - Close.

2 Likes

If anything, I think this is exactly what they need if they want the flow to go well.

1 Like

Not recording tonight, but we just had quite a major technical issue on 9 News Reg. QLD.

Anyone with a VAST subscription may be able to cap it from 9 News Darwin? Occurred at 6:23pm.

Sam was reading an RVO and the vision was from the incorrect RVO story (supers were correct).
She read the whole story then said “sorry, we appear to be having some technical difficulties there…” then silence while you can hear her clearly speaking to someone in the control room… then we just had a solid 10-seconds of silence before Jono appeared to apologise.

2 Likes

And again at 6:41pm.
The sport cross split screen showed Sam as Jono started talking and then suddenly stopped as Sam smiled and started to re-read what Jono had started reading.

2 Likes

Wrong story:

Followed by sports cross stuff up

And for some reason the 2nd story for the Sunshine Coast was a live cross to Warwick - did NQ get this as well?

5 Likes