Nine News Local

Whoops! Some poor editing on a story in the local window in NQ tonight.

An interview showing a person was shown, then back to the reporter who spoke for a few more seconds, then the exact same interview was shown over again. Looked pretty dodgy!

2 Likes

Currently have a live cross to Darwin with old Darwin live cam shot shown in the background … looks to be done from the old Darwin set.

Followed by a live cross to ANZ Stadium in Sydney about the NRL Grand Final

2 Likes

Just spitballing (wildly) here, but would it be possible to do a pre-recorded opening pan on the metro sets (with the FAF news exchange backdrop) every night and play it and the VO just after the titles instead of the long card, then quick fade to the presenters like metro?

This would also need the regional sets replaced by a full-width green screen with an uninterrupted backdrop (no fake set window or screen) for a more seamless look in piece-to-cameras.

2 Likes

I think these ideas could be done, if Nine cared at all; sadly it appears they don’t.

2 Likes

They care just enough to make the bulletins, but not enough to polish presentation even to GC levels.

4 Likes

They only care enough to satisfy their end of the contract, I suppose “quality” isn’t defined in the contract.

2 Likes

Not enough to even reach Seven Perth levels. At least they have OTS graphics.

4 Likes

Hell, as was discussed early on in this thread, even WIN had per-story pics & text a quarter of a century ago! :rage:

4 Likes

Even SC’s noodle updates had OTS graphics. There’s no excuse, really.

5 Likes

Would love for this to happen. The presentation would improve significantly with a little effort!

To be fair, Nine News hasn’t had OTS for a long time. IIRC, the last one was used for sport on the 6pm bulletin in Sydney about 5 years and for the news, I don’t think those graphics have been used since the virtual set was replaced.

3 Likes

Perhaps one of the most watched nights of TV in Southern NSW/ACT and especially Regional Queensland all year and Nine are airing the capital city bulletin at 6pm (or 5pm in Queensland, 4.30pm in Darwin) tonight.

Having a one-off edition of the regional news for NRL Grand Final Day (even only a statewide edition) would’ve exposed Nine’s still fairly new regional news service to a wide audience. But instead they’re running the Sydney or Brisbane news that only airs two nights a week. Talk about a missed promotional opportunity…

I think Nine News briefly experimented with OTS graphics on the vertical plasma when they first got the previous (2009-2016/17) generation of sets, but gradually moved away from that in favour of using the main backdrop screen for story-specific graphics.

Perhaps one of the problems that prevent Nine from using story-specific graphics on the regional bulletins is that they’d have to produce “metro” and “regional” versions of the same story-specific graphics to fit the different screen lengths of the sets.

6 Likes

This era of NNN comes to mind.

5 Likes

That doesn’t prevent them; it’s insulting how Nine obviously look down upon all of us who don’t live in one of their metro market areas.

For national & international stories the regional background would be used for the 3 bulletins (Qld, Vic, Sthn NSW; more if we count each individual sub-bulletins).

1 Like

Yes!!!
Every big screen in Townsville is set up with Nine on it this afternoon/evening and piles of people in front of them. (Including one that’s been spontaneously set up in a park near my house for some reason :thinking:).

It would have been so easy for them to do a quick 30-minute special bulletin of 9 News in Regional QLD tonight.

Could have opened with Sam/Jono in the studio welcoming and crossing to Andrew and then just aired the exact same segment with Andrew crossing to reporters that was shown on 9 News Brisbane.
Then had Sam and Jono read out the brief few national stories that aired afterwards, no need for local windows, except for the local weather window at the end.

Such a massive shame they didn’t do this!

11 Likes

I wonder how much more Nine could care about its regional bulletins if it owned the regional network too. Maybe the promotion would be slightly better.

Given their treatment of Darwin, I’m not holding my breath though.

1 Like

18:07 AEDT and 9News Canberra showed the Darling Harbour punch up story; I’m not sure why that’s national news that needs to be up so early in the bulletin.

After that the drunk who drove into a house in Newcastle, and we saw that Nine had two microphones: One with the Nine logo and another with the (legacy) NBN logo, WTF?
Two crews, reporters… Why?

18:14 local window started; Vanessa mispronounced Jerrabomberra.

18:19 and another mispronounciation: A tip for Vanessa; Tidbinbilla has a D in it.

3 Likes

I’m guessing that a Nine reporter was there to cover the story for a Sydney/statewide audience, while the NBN reporter did a report which had a more localised angle for their viewers.

What is with having the local window so far into the bulletin.
Doesn’t it make more sense to catch viewers attention with local stories up first (as we have in QLD)??

1 Like

Gabrielle Vacher seems to have joined on as a reporter on 9 News NQ.

She has filled a local story tonight inside the local window - last I knew she was based in Brisbane.

Was the Vegas shooting the top story?