Nine News Local

I wish Prime7 would do a straight out 1 hour bulletin for regional Victoria. No need for local opt outs, just have a Victorian bulletin for all. Have a couple of reporters in Ballarat, Bendigo, Shepparton, Gippsland and maybe even 1 in Mildura and they can use stories from neighbouring Wagga and Albury bulletins as well as 7 Melb.

Win News is too local and stale, 9 News is too international with a few Melbourne and local story. Prime7 can have news from country and metro Victoria with a little international. I prefer 9 news over Win but really they are both poor compared to what Prime do in other regions. If Prime could have a news bulletin that air in all Victorian markets I don’t see how that could not be feasible compared to 1 bulltin that airs in 1 single market

2 Likes

Since the ratings of Nine News in the Illawarra, Central West & Riverina markets haven’t been mentioned…I presume that WIN (Illawarra) and Prime7 (Central West/Riverina) is still ourating the new editions of Nine News in those markets?

The Albury/Wodonga, NSW/VIC Border region has a full edition of Prime7 Local News. But yeah, it’s just the short updates everywhere else in the Regional Victoria TV market.

As much as I personally think they should (especially since we’re talking about an affiliate of the country’s #1 TV network), unfortunately I can’t see Prime7 expanding their local news services anytime soon. If Seven News on Prime7 is outrating WIN in Canberra, the Illawarra, the Hunter, most of Regional Victoria…then that’s probably considered to be “good enough” by the management of Prime Media Group and it’s shareholders.

6 Likes

I’m not surprised the Rockhampton bulletin has excelled to number 1 already.
Paul Taylor and Samantha Heathwood both lived in Rockhampton and presented WIN News together there for years, and were well liked in the area - both were well involved in community events, especially Sam.

While 7 News is also popular there, it has only been around for about 3 years IIRC. So doesn’t have that well entrenched audience from decades on air.

I wouldn’t be surprised if 9 News was doing really well in Toowoomba too, given Samantha Heathwood also lived there for a while presenting WIN News, and similarly 7 News hasn’t been there for all that long.

Conversely, markets such as Mackay will probably never warm to 9 News as 7 News has been there for decades!

5 Likes

Interesting tonight to see a local “breaking news” story happen in the late afternoon where a pedestrian was run over and killed.

Despite its prerecorded bulletin, the story was covered (with footage) to open 7 News. But there was no mention at all on 9 News neither in the local window or otherwise.

1 Like

I’d like to see the figures on Rockhampton as I’ve just had a weekend there and saw zero promos about local news. Everything was for the QTQ bulletins. As much as I hate WIN with a passion, the Nine bulletins deserve to be last for the sloppiness in promotion and presentation. Hopefully the audience quickly realises the product from Ch7 is the better.

3 Likes

Would love to know if there was an increase or decrease in ratings in each regions since the metro bulletin was replaced with local. I doubt it.

1 Like

Quite a funny moment on 9 News in QLD tonight. I did have my PVR recording - but the recording failed unfortunately.

Just before the cross to sport, they ran a story about a bungled convenience store robbery here in Townsville.

During the story, reporter Roanne Boldery showed how the thief got away with the electronic register, but not any actual cash, as the cash draw was hidden under the bench.

On returning back to Sam and Paul, Sam looked to Paul and said something close to “Well, if anyone is interested in robbing a store, nice to see we’ve just shown them exactly how to do it” (with a joking/concerned look).

Gave me a bit of a chuckle as I was actually thinking the exact same thing during the story.

13 Likes

Nice to see some decent banter between the presenters. Shame that Jo Hall can’t be a bit warmer.

6 Likes

Same thing was shown on the Sunshine Coast version of the news.

1 Like

Given the incorporation of 9 News Darwin into the regional product next week, I believe this is the best thread to discuss the changes.

I’m aware that 9 News Darwin (in it’s current format) officially ends on Friday.
It certainly will be weird on Saturday if you were a Darwin resident seeing the “9 News Queensland” title card appear at 6pm.

I’m also aware that it’s been confirmed Jonathan Upton will continue to present the bulletin from Brisbane.

Has there been any more information released as to how this will work? It’s obviously going to have some implications for our local regional QLD bulletin.

Given the 30-minute time difference, I just can’t fathom how they’re going to make the bulletin work other than having Sam and Jonathan dual-present, and just show it delayed into Darwin.

Will certainly add a new level of awkward to those first-block weather updates when Nicole/Sam talk about “cold snaps” and Darwin is enjoying 34 degree weather!

5 Likes

That’s how I think it will work too.

And the Darwin local news “window” will be the live read.

1 Like

Given the location difference, it’s a bit of a shame that they won’t be producing a weekend Darwin bulletin from Brisbane. Would certainly be more relevant to Darwin and NT than the Brisbane bulletin. Now, Imparja will have no local news weekend service that they can rebroadcast.

Exactly! The Brisbane bulletin is largely irrelevant to North QLD, let alone the NT!
Plus they’ll have to put up with Allison and Darren

2 Likes

As the current Darwin bulletin stands, how encompassing is it for NT and Central news? And would it be valuable to Nine to either increase remote news in the new Darwin bulletin or (in theory) establish a market-wide composite Central bulletin for Imparja? The figures from the 2016 population determination by the ACMA estimate Darwin at approx. 122k and Central at approx. 412k, just over 3.5 times larger.

Considering they’re moving the presentation of the only commercial news service in the NT interstate I think an expansion of news isn’t on the cards anytime soon

1 Like

At least people in Darwin will get their news in HD.

As good as HD news is, I think local live news is much more important in this case :frowning:

13 Likes

Perhaps there will be an expanded “local window” that only plays out to Darwin, replacing “wider QLD/Brisbane” stories in the other markets? It would mean jiggling the order of stories around, but could work.

Yeah. I was just pointing out that HD would probably be the only positive in the case of Darwin.

2 Likes

In theory, there shouldn’t be too much difference from the current bulletin? Should there?

Also, I think someone mentioned above that the Darwin local inserts will be read live.