Nine News Local

That’s true, I just can’t see them purposely putting in a different program at the 6pm timeslot if Nine were to do a localised bulletin, but thats just me.

Yep - mind blank, remembered later its a JV !

WIN has been known to make all sorts of programme changes during its battles with Nine. There were substantial changes to the WIN daytime schedule a decade ago when Nine refused to share revenue from advertorials from its morning shows. WIN started producing its own morning show “Susie” (with Susie Eleman) and a cooking show so it could cease showing Nine content. It also aired the Crawford’s back catalogue to steer away even further from Nine’s feed.

Suffice to say, there is a LOT of precedent here and I would bet penny to a pound that WIN would do what it could to block a competing Nine regional news at 6pm. In Tassie, I would say both SCA and WIN simply wouldn’t allow it.

2 Likes

Yes I see your point of view completely and do remember the whole WIN of 2007 saga. The same time that this was happening (including broadcasting Susie on NWS/STW) was the same time that the primary WIN affiliation in SA was changed to Seven (and WIN Ten left untouched). Except, while they screw around as much as possible on the channel/s branded WIN, their other supplementary channels aren’t touched other than the inserting of local ads. Which is why I can’t see WIN touching it (on SA feeds at least) should Nine push out a different news bulletin at 1800 on the dirty feed. It’s not like there’s any local competition with news

I have to agree with @CTC7-9-10, while it may be illogical for WIN (or SCA) to mess around with a secondary or JV channel given they get a share of the profits of any improved ratings, WIN have proven themselves to be petty enough to do so, and as people other than I have already said Nine won’t go to the expense of creating more regional bulletins without buy-in of the affiliate.

Also remember that for SC9, while Nine produces the bulletins, it provides SC9 with the feeds for the various sub-region areas (i.e. 9News Canberra, Illawarra, etc. for southern NSW) and SC9 have to show the right ones, put the ads in, etc.
There’s nothing stopping an affiliate ignoring such a specific feed and instead showing one of the other 9News bulletins, even from another state, so for example (WIN- & SCA-owned) TDT9 could ignore a 9News Tasmania bulletin & instead continue to show 9News Melbourne, if they wanted to.
The affiliation agreement would have to change to make it a contract violation to do so, and since Nine hasn’t even been able to enforce (via these affiliation contracts) airing of 9HD & 9Life in some areas, there’s no chance of doing additional regional 9News bulletins & enforcing airing of those.

It’s probably best to give up on this wishful thinking for until if and when Seven & SCA have/continue to have a big disagreement & Nine make a good competing offer to SCA around the time the current SCA/Seven affiliation contracts are due to expire, then just maybe - as WIN recently did - SCA may ditch Seven as their primary affiliation in those areas and switch to Nine, but of course if that were to happen, while you’d get 9News you’d lose the current SCTV/7News bulletins.

2 Likes

Major stuff ups during the opening of Nine News Illawarra:

10 Likes

Will no longer be watching. Not very happy with nine news arm. Will be sticking with win news

2 Likes

I hope it doesn’t happen in Ayr, near Townsville in Queensland when the new bulletin starts up there.

3 Likes

Somehow, I’d imagine that WIN and Prime7 were quite happy to see that disaster of an Opener for tonight’s Nine News Illawarra!

One wonders if any of the other Southern NSW/ACT bulletins were also affected.

3 Likes

*sighs
Another problem on tonight’s Illawarra bulletin:

12 Likes

I’d give Nine News SNSW/ACT a dozen of Piers Morgan’s “Jeyzzuz Kraayst!!” shouts if I was the control room. That thing was too much for these past two nights.

3 Likes

With all the talk about the quality of Nine News’ regional editions, I’d be rather interested to know (generalised comments will do, in lieu of actual numbers which can’t be posted due to restrictions) where they sit in the ratings currently.

Obviously we know how they did at launch, but what about at the moment/recently? Especially the Southern NSW/ACT editions, one wonders how they’ve been rating on/around NRL & State Of Origin nights.

3 Likes

Looking forward to the roll out in Queensland, that plus the new Brisbane set-up deliver some fun :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I guess we can see one positive in the fact that they had a long closer?..

An internal investigation has discovered that the early cutaway was caused by a producer in the control room smacking their head into their keyboard.

Vanessa has been warned not to attempt banter with herself again.

14 Likes

9News in Victoria came behind The Chase on PRIME7.

who came in third?

Seven News Sunday on PRIME7

Well as the regional 9News bulletins only go to air on weekdays, I’d guess the question may have meant on weekdays (& during the 18:00 - 19:00 time window 9News airs).

i did mean that lol but never mind

It’s hard to predict without seeing a bulletin how 9’s regional bulletins will go in Queensland. I think most people have been disappointed with at least the NSW versions and were expecting something more professional. How Queensland viewers respond if something similar happens we’ll have to wait to see.

3 Likes