Nine News Local

No, they don’t. They just air Nine News from the relevant state capital.

1 Like

For now…

8 Likes

Not surprising, but certainly disappointing. Their current keyed sets is at WIN levels and is just not the Nine that we know of. Heck, even the NNN sets in 2005-2009 looked better, at least there was OTS graphics.

5 Likes

If they’re not going to have OTS graphics, I wish they’d at least ditch that fake plasma.

3 Likes

No, they aren’t and won’t be. Western SA and Broken Hill is an SCA Monopoly, where Channel 7 is their main affiliation. WIN Television has a monopoly in Eastern SA (Mt. Gambier/Loxton), where Ten is their primary asset, yet news production was closed down and has no plans in any of their channels (7, 9 and 10). WDT (West Digital Television), meanwhile, is a Nine-affiliated joint venture of GWN7 and WIN for regional and remote WA.

3 Likes

Quite funny (and kind of sad in a way) to think that some of the new Regional Queensland editions of Nine News might be in HD before the main Nine News Queensland bulletin is!

Also, I doubt that there’ll be any editions of Nine News produced for Regional SA, WA or Tasmania anytime soon. Figuring out how to introduce the Nine News brand to Northern NSW probably should be a bigger priority.

4 Likes

Oh easy. Rename NBN News 9 News, and done. Idiots might stop watching though.

SA and Tas might switch to 9 when the affiliations are next up, for if 9 and SCA become 1.

2 Likes

Regional WA, regional SA and TAS don’t even have the full suite of Nine channels, I doubt they will get a regionalised version of Nine News any time in the near future. I think it’d be more likely for WIN to buy out SCA regional SA before a localised Nine bulletin is developed.

Also bearing in mind that, as pointed out, regional WA and one regional SA market are not SCA affiliated. In theory there is nothing stopping Nine doing a bulletin for TAS and SCA regional SA despite their main affiliation being with Seven. But again, the east coast is getting the ‘full Nine experience’, the other regional markets are not

1 Like

The other regional markets aren’t missing much…

2 Likes

Do we have any members on here who live in the Cairns/FNQ market? Or will I be the first to see the new Regional QLD bulletin once it launches in Townsville on July 17?

I’ve written down on my diary to be at Ayr, near Townsville on that day.

3 Likes

The promos for Queensland’s regional news have started to air tonight, ahead of the FNQ launch on July 10.

1 Like

I’m assuming only Cairns is getting the new promos for now?

2 Likes

Nine Regional has yet to show a ratings benefit if I’m not mistaken, so that could be a bit of a gamble.

2 Likes

It’s like sacrificing being number one in the state by “aggregating” and purchasing any non-East Coast stations into Nine News. At the moment, I still thought that SCTV and SC9 are distinct SCA properties and cannot be flipped one over another just to satisfy their 50% revenue share with Nine.

SCA owns half of TDT9 in Tasmania, but Nine could make local news for Tasmania (depending whether there is some sort of competition clause related to local news). Technically Nine gets the same sort of revenue share from Tasmania as it does from any other of it’s SCA affiliates, so the economics are roughly the same.

Though I’m not sure Nine would see enough benefit in doing so - until they get their regional news brand up to metropolitan standards and can show an increase in audience. Presuming they would make a hypothetical bulletin in Melbourne, the question of capacity at GTV would also come in to play.

I’m not sure anyone here is talking about ‘flipping’ properties. But you are right, Southern Cross would be mad to “move” its news to a station it only owns half of - they would be sacrificing profit for no real reason.

1 Like

Correct, but those Nine affiliates are owned (SA) or part-owned (WA) by WIN. WIN would never allow Nine to produce a bulletin for SDS/RDS, and they would likely block a bulletin for WDT too, not to mention Nine not having interest in a market that they do not own and has a significantly lower population.

Because that’s where the population is centres: the aggregated east coast. Others are too sparsely populated.

1 Like

If a regional news product for these areas was hinging on a new affiliation agreement that cost WIN more, then maybe. But if Nine simply wanted to make a regional news product and air it, then it will go to air whether WIN ‘allow’ it or not. WIN will show whatever news bulletin comes up from the dirty feed at 1800hrs on Nine and they’re not going to replace it with Acropolis Now

they don’t own the regional QLD/VIC/SNSW markets and regional eastern SA has roughly the same population reach as Nine Darwin…

Regardless I believe Nine would make attempts to return HD and 9LIFE in these areas before creating a regional bulletin for each… Nine O&O (incl NBN) and SCA9 regionals (excl TAS) all now have ‘the whole Nine experience’ being the full suite of channels and localised bulletins

They could ‘not air it’ if the partners wanted to. News is already broadcast on the other two primary channels so the news on WDT, WIN9 in SA or even TDT could always be pre-empted if so felt. A news bulletin at 6pm is not a necessity for these supplementary licence primary channels.

Also just on your last point, ‘SCA9’ does not broadcast in Tasmania.

1 Like

Nine aren’t magically going to start producing a news bulletin in a market they do not own, costing them money if
(a) it itsn’t giving them significant returns through the affiliation deal,
(b) it hasn’t been negotiated with the owners,
(c) the population size and potential returns do not warrant it.

Remember, several years ago WIN produced 30 minute bulletins for WA and two for SA (later rolled into one) from the WIN-owned capital cities, but were canned long before NWS and STW were sold to Nine because the money and time they were putting in were not giving them significant returns.

1. They included Nine-produced news in their affiliation deal with SCA for QLD/VIC/SNSW.
  2. Darwin is owned by Nine and has always had a news bulletin, Eastern SA is WIN-owned (see my reply above).

Television is all about money, the networks aren’t magically going to produce something that takes time, money and resources if the returns aren’t worth it. Hence why Ten’s other news bulletins are always being canned and revived, then canned.

2 Likes