Nine News Local

I’m not familiar with the size or setup available at QTQ, is there definitely enough space/facilities available for them to use a full set for the Regional QLD bulletins?

I certainly hope they realise they need to do something better than NSW/VIC to compete against 7, and follow through with something better than we’ve seen!

They’ve certainly had plenty of time to learn from mistakes and adjust their strategies since the NSW/VIC bulletins were launched.

As i’ve said, the acquisition of Samantha & Paul as presenters is a brilliant move by Nine. Pity they don’t have them together as a dual-presenter setup, like they were in the days they presented together on WIN.

2 Likes

I thought the current news set for Nine Brisbane was moved into the larger production studio at QTQ while the main news studio gets upgraded for the new set and HD production?

1 Like

Correct. Whether it is larger though, I am not sure.

I would be surprised if 9 News Queensland used anything but the same backdrop template that the Victoria and NSW editions use.

3 Likes

There was some minor technical problems with the autocue during the first few reports:

4 Likes

For someone who is usually a very average newsreader, she handled that really well.

7 Likes

You’re quite right. Let’s talk about the font they use for the chyrons for a few days - as long as it’s Nine Regional, mind.

2 Likes

What a coincidence: Your long weekend was also my long weekend in PH due to our Independence Day anniversary.

1 Like

Former NBN reporter, Sally Rafferty, was reporting from Cairns this morning on Today. I would expect that she will be one of North Queensland reporters in the coming weeks.

4 Likes

Alissa Warren filling-in for Mike Lorigan today.

3 Likes

Well…this occurred during sport!

11 Likes

Probably some strong coarse language in the control room when not only the slate/cue card, but the full “10 to 2” countdown went to air! :open_mouth:

5 Likes

Something like this? (Refer to 1:46.)

“Jeyzuus Krayst!” -Piers Morgan, Good Morning Britain (ITV), 2017

5 Likes

Seeing quite a few of these posts on Facebook. To be honest, i don’t see them changing the bulletin to make it more local. Instead they will probably continue to use ‘non local’ stories for most of the hour…

11 Likes

I like how people still call the bulletin “National Nine News” :blush:

5 Likes

Continuing to flog this issue…

The problem isn’t just that the bulletin isn’t local enough (e.g. local Canberra stories, although that would be nice), it’s also that there are irrelevant Sydney local news stories used as padding.

9News should replace those Sydney stories with (actual) national & international stories which wouldn’t be as obviously out-of-place on something called “9News Canberra”.

10 Likes

Definitely agree. Although cause it’s done in Sydney they probably think that all the stories about Sydney roads and other things are ‘relevant’ to us Canberrans too. Hopefully there will be some changes in the future.

4 Likes

these kind of posts seem to get deleted also.

1 Like

Looking through the relevant Facebook pages, there seems to be a lot more complaint about the NSW version.

The NSW/ACT bulletins include comments such as:

[quote]SMH can you learn to speak properly??
It is PALLIATIVE CARE
NOT
pallative care.
I absolutely cannot stand watching the news now.[/quote]

and my personal favourite…

Meanwhile, there are very few complaints on the pages for the Victorian versions of 9 News.

8 Likes

On a separate note, looking through the Victorian Facebook pages I noticed that Dougal Beatty presented tonight in place of Jo Hall.

4 Likes