Nine News Local

Ah yes, remember that now. It was atrocious which is why the current backdrops seemed like such an improvement.

A lot of Nine’s decisions surrounding the regional bulletins have been a bit strange, hopefully some day they will realise that a proper metro-style 6pm style bulletin is what is needed if they want to stand out in regional areas.

1 Like

I personally feel that Prime 7/Seven Local News QLD sets are far superior and still maintains some sort of ‘local’ feel. In terms of set, Nine and Win both lose out on this one big time IMO.

2 Likes

While it would be nice to see the regional editions of Nine News treated exactly like the metropolitan bulletins, unfortunately I can’t see that happening anytime soon. For better or worse, the big capital city news services are always going to get preferential treatment for reasons I don’t think need explaining.

Maybe NBN News has an OK-ish set, but I don’t really love any of the news sets currently in use by the regional networks.

3 Likes

I agree (though the in-your-face redness of Prime7’s set could be toned down just a touch!).

Once Nine has more confidence in their regional bulletins (remember they’re still only months old), hopefully we will get to see more investment in the set. Even reusing the old Perth/Adelaide sets would be a massive improvement (with little to no investment).

3 Likes

Maybe the Adelaide set only. The old Perth set was abandoned since they moved to the CBD. The regional QLD local version should use the old set when the Brisbane Nine News move to the new set.

3 Likes

The studio where the set currently is, is that space used for anything else?

1 Like

I’ll leave that one with those veterans here at MS, since I’m still learning more on Australian media.

1 Like

That’s not CGI…

That’s a Green Screen filled with a template image.

1 Like

I really wish this is what they’d do!

They need to do something more than the current NSW/VIC versions to compete against 7 News Regional, and using a nice decent set would certainly be a good start.

Would also be good if they set up proper live cameras for each market (or at least record an hour of near dusk footage for each location).
7 News Regional has a pre-recorded skyline background for each city, and while it’s not live, it certainly makes the bulletin feel very local.

9 News QLD needs to have something similar (or better yet, an actual live shot) for each market, with an actual set, and they’d be part-way there to actually competing with 7 News.

3 Likes

…and with Seven’s regional Queensland bulletins having two presenters in most markets (not to mention the Brisbane versions of Seven/Nine News), I wonder if Nine should consider teaming Samantha Heathwood up with a co-presenter?

Queenslanders seem to love their co-presented news bulletins. Also, hour long news bulletins are pretty much made for co-presenters (keeps things fresh and fast paced over the course of a full hour, etc.) so it just makes sense IMO.

2 Likes

That would be a brilliant idea!
If only they’d do that! (as long as they didn’t pick someone like Darren Curtis or Alison Ariotti)

2 Likes

Why do the regional bulletins have that “swoosh” transition after the “This is Nine News [region], with [presenter]?” When Adelaide had a similar opener format (title card -> headlines -> title card + “This is Nine News…” -> transition to presenters), they just faded the title card to the presenters.

I think it’s because the openers are localized to each region, but the lead story is a live read to all markets.

8 Likes

But what would the difference be between fading each localised opening away versus the “swoosh” transition? Wouldn’t the live transmission be a black screen to show the timing provided for the opener with each localised opener pasted in over the top?

1 Like

Maybe no difference…

I guess that was simply Nine’s choice to do it with the “swoosh”… they use it quite a bit on the Sydney bulletin for instance.

I just think it doesn’t make sense to have the Nine News title card, followed by the “swoosh” that also has the Nine News logo. It should preferably be one or the other.

1 Like

I agree; it’s stupid and just seems weird, like lots of things wrong with the 9News regional bulletins. :disappointed:

2 Likes

there is nothing wrong with the 9 news regional victorian bullentins just look at the previous posts about these

1 Like

Yeah, I gather it’s a bit better than the Southern NSW effort, but I’m still disappointed by the poor presentation of “9News Canberra”, and it seems improvements aren’t happening; for example tonight I saw we’re still missing per-story backgrounds, oh and I saw they stuffed up & swapped the names/title supers between Turnbull & Shorten.

1 Like

That’s not mutually exclusive to 9News Canberra or any of the other regional bulletins Nine produce, all
networks do it.

Your other point is based on the assumption that this would be happening, rather than it being a wish-list item for a couple of Media Spy members who would really only care about a minor detail such as that.

1 Like