Nine News Local

Username
Leila_Mck

Big if true

6 Likes

I believe the desk they’re using for the Victorian bulletins is also, ironically, an old ACA desk.

1 Like

From Facebook. Love the plain backdrop.

https://video-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/18005576_1885033851775975_559840139400970240_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjMwMCwicmxhIjo1MTIsInZlbmNvZGVfdGFnIjoic3ZlX3NkIn0%3D&oh=9d863230cfdab0cae60965973a98e9a6&oe=58F499D4

2 Likes

It would be funny if they shipped the other former ACA desk from Sydney up to Brisbane to use in the regional set up there.

I’m personally hoping (though definitely not expecting) that they’ll put a bit more effort into the Regional QLD bulletins presentation, etc. given they’ll be competing with the regional versions of 7 News directly in these markets.

6 Likes

So have they now?

3 Likes

Oh how young & naive we were… we thought the 9News brand meant a certain level of polish & quality, but we live & learn from disappointment.

2 Likes

Saw Vanessa on Nine News Now - she holds a conversation really well but is stilted at reading. Suggests to me that she will improve - maybe some vocal coaching would benefit her.

3 Likes

Little disappointed with tonights bulletin only 5 mins of local.news on 9 news Western Victoria

1 Like

Maybe nothing much happened?

2 Likes

Really only 5 minutes of local news?, if that’s the case they should have shown Nine News Melbourne instead!:stuck_out_tongue:

The RegionalTAM Top 20 programs for the week of 9-15 April has the weeknight editions of Nine News/NBN News in the Top 20 across the East Coast aggregated markets.

The point here for this thread is that it reveals that Nine News’ regional bulletins rate higher in Regional VIC than in Southern NSW/ACT, providing evidence that, considering the smaller population than the latter, the Jo Hall-presented bulletins are far more successful & has a real potential to outrate WIN News across Regional VIC.
This is quite an opposite situation to that of Southern NSW/ACT, where WIN News is still rating quite comfortably ahead of the local Nine News bulletins in Canberra & Wollongong, whilst Prime7 Local News dominates in the Central West & Riverina. In Albury (part of Regional VIC), Prime7 & Nine are quite competitive, with WIN at a rather distant 3rd.

9 Likes

No one on this forum would be surprised if Vanessa is replaced in the next six months. Nine needs to up their game in SNSW if they want to beat WIN in their home market.

9 Likes

If Vanessa was fronting Nine News Sydney she would have been moved on to another role after a few days.

4 Likes

Are we all forgetting who the main presenter of WIN News in Southern NSW/ACT is? While I personally find his newsreading style a little too cheery at times, I also have no doubt that a senior newsreader like Geoff Phillips is helping the ratings of WIN’s local news service (especially in their home market of the Illawarra, South Coast and Southern Highlands!) quite a bit when the majority of WIN’s other programing likely rates 3rd or worse in the Southern NSW/ACT market.

Nothing against Vanessa O’Hanlon of course but if metropolitan viewers had the choice of getting their local news from an established presenter who is iconic and popular with local viewers or a fairly new and unfamiliar presenter…I think we all know which option more viewers would choose. It’s also no coincidence that in most metropolitan markets of Australia, the most popular 6pm news bulletin is fronted by the newsreader(s) who have been there for many years if not decades.

At some point in the not overly distant future (while I obviously can’t say exactly when this will happen, I do think it will most likely happen sometime within the next five years or so), Geoff Phillips will retire from WIN News. This will probably be the best opportunity that the regional edition of Nine News has to become a ratings leader in Southern NSW/ACT, provided that Nine gets their main newsreader right.

7 Likes

Let’s see:

Peter Overton - Nine News Sydney for the past 8 years (at Nine since 1991).
Peter Hitchener - Nine News Melbourne for the past 19 years (at Nine since 1973)
Bruce Paige - Nine News Gold Coast for the past 4 years (at Nine since 1985)
Jane Doyle/John Riddell - Seven News Adelaide for the past 12 years (at Seven since 1988)
Rick Ardon/Susannah Carr - Seven News Perth for the past 32 years! (at Seven since 1978 and 1985 respectively)
Jo Hall - Nine News Victoria for the past month/Nine News Melbourne weekends for 13 years (at Nine since 1979)

Back onto the topic now. I personally believe that Jayne Azzopardi is the best option for Nine to use if Vanessa continues to struggle. Personally, I find their ‘Joining our network HQ and Pete/GG/Deb’ thing is just ridiculous.

4 Likes

Question, do any of SCA’s Nine affiliated stations in QLD, SNSW/ACT and VIC have local studios (other than the one in Canberra which will be demolished). If so, will Nine ever move production of the regional bulletins out of broom cupboards in the capital cities and into the region that they broadcast to?

Could a small-scale setup like the one in Springfield be viable? Could the QLD bulletins move into there?

1 Like

Given that Nine is responsible for producing the bulletins for SCA Nine, I really can’t see that happening.

The only way I could see that scenario occurring is if SCA Nine take back responsibility for producing local news, but given SCA Nine pay 50% of their revenue in return for Nine providing all programming including local news, I would think SCA will seek a reduction on the 50%.

1 Like

No one in Canberra is tuning in for Geoff Phillips.

5 Likes

I keep replying to these assertions that Springfield is a bureau, it’s not. It is a retail space with a background flat. They truck a link vehicle, camera operator and presenter out there every week or so.

It is laughable that they call that a studio and teach new university students that this is how TV is run.

2 Likes