Nine News Presenters and Reporters

Clearly, the succession planning at Nine is down the toilet at the moment. This decision only appears to be made a couple of weeks ago, scrambling to find a new host for ACA and still no idea with Today. Far from the “clear structure” that Wick said was in place a couple of years ago:

They should have gone with Fordham when Karl was dumped.

Fordo won’t leave 2GB for Today.

2 Likes

That article is over 4 years old. Ben wasn’t even doing 2GB Breakfast then.

He’ll be there for the rest of his career you’d think.

1 Like

That was 2018. He certainly wouldn’t give up his lucrative 2GB gig now.

3 Likes

From Nine:

Charles Croucher appointed 9News Chief Political Editor

Charles Croucher was today announced as Chief Political Editor for 9News.

Stepping into what is one of the most sought after roles in Australian media, Charles replaces the outgoing Chris Uhlmann, who recently announced he would be retiring at the end of this year.

It is a role that was made famous by the legendary Laurie Oakes.

Darren Wick, Director of News and Current Affairs for Nine, said: “The most important reporting role at Nine is the Chief Political Editor in Canberra. We’ve built the reputation of 9News around excellent journalism and fearless commentary from Laurie Oakes and Chris Uhlmann. Charles Croucher is a brilliant political reporter and analyst. We’re very excited about the leadership he will bring to our dedicated team covering the Federal Parliament. This is a new era for 9News. We’re at a turning point in history as Australia defines its place in the world and our region where alliances are rapidly changing. Charles has excelled at every challenge throughout his career at Nine. He is the best person to break down the complicated language of politics and cut through the spin. Charles will show our viewers what’s really going on at all levels of government. His commitment and appetite for hard work are infectious. We can’t wait to get him started.”

Charles Croucher said: “When I first arrived at Parliament House, I counted the steps between my desk and Laurie’s. I was so lucky to be able to watch and learn from the absolute best. It’s a huge honour and challenge to follow in the footsteps of Laurie and Chris, but I’ll be helped by a remarkable team of reporters and camera crews. I’m excited to now help lead a very talented team, telling some of the most important stories impacting Australians during these challenging times.”

CHARLES CROUCHER BIO

Charles grew up in Branxton in the NSW Hunter Valley. He attended Hunter Valley Grammar School and then Charles Sturt University in Bathurst.

Charles started writing for the local Branxton newspaper as a sports reporter at the age of 16.

He then went on to work for radio 2BS in Bathurst, where he read the news during his first year at university. In 2007, he began hosting the weekend breakfast show on 2BS, before presenting the morning show five days a week during his final year at university in 2009.

Charles joined 9News Darwin in 2010 as sports reporter and weekend news anchor.

In 2012, Charles moved to Melbourne where he joined the A Current Affair team as a reporter.

From 2013 to 2018, Charles was based at Parliament House in Canberra as politics reporter for 9News.

In 2018 he took on the role of US Correspondent for9News, based in Los Angeles.

For the past two years, Charles has been based in Sydney as co-host of Weekend Today.

Charles has covered elections in every state and territory in Australia, as well as international elections across five continents.

3 Likes

Succession planning is a bit of a pointless exercise in media, even if everyone does them - apart from the 6pm news gigs and even then (Waley being long tapped as Henderson’s replacement and then things going backwards). They’re helpful in the sense of “if this person got hit by a bus tomorrow how would we replace them” but when it gets to a real live time of actually replacing them, there’s so many variables it doesn’t really matter much what kind of planning there is.

2 Likes

I’m a huge fan of Charles, he’ll make this his own in no time.

5 Likes

“Charles Croucher. “Exactly where he wants to be””

Deliberate editing? :wink:

3 Likes

Laura Turner has resigned from the Nine Network, she’s moving to host breakfast on ABC Radio in Mildura-Swan Hill.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj3ng36hoTo/

7 Likes

Hitch doesn’t sound too well this evening

Sounded fine to me?

Sounded like he was battling a throat thing. But may have just been my headphones.

Since his appointment as political editor, Charles Croucher has been seen on each night’s bulletin (in Brisbane) including the lead story on Tuesday.

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Tuesday’s story.

4 Likes

Is the old bloke officially retired?

Yep

1 Like

ok. i thought it was at the end of the year

1 Like

Thursday 20 October -
Braden Ingram presenting sport on Melbourne’s afternoon news today.

3 Likes

Thursday 20/10/2022

Edward Godfrey back from the UK and abroad, he’s presenting Nine News Adelaide’s 5pm edition.

5 Likes

Hope Overton is okay.