Nine News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Is Ben a freelance?

Apologies for the double post, but does anyone know what Leila McKinnon’s role on Nine is now? Haven’t seen her on screen as much these days.

I’m pretty sure that Leila McKinnon mainly fills in for Tracy Grimshaw on A Current Affair these days.

1 Like

She used to be Weekend Today’s presenter with Cameron Williams right?

Yes, and also presenter of Inside Story before that show was axed. I don’t think Leila has presented any news bulletins for years now…

1 Like

I actually liked Leila McKinnon on Weekend Today, why did she leave the show? (BTW much prefer Her or Mark Burrows or someone else to present Nine News Sydney this Christmas)

1 Like

She went on maternity leave and didn’t return to the show,her fill in Deb Knight replaced her permanently.

Reporting and as @SydneyCityTV already mentioned Tracy’s fill in on ACA and she still does occasional special reports for ACA.

1 Like

No, he’s contacted to Channel 9 and 2GB.

1 Like

I feel that is what Leila wants. Main fill-in on ACA, occasional reports for Nine News Sydney/National and she has been brought in to host Mornings. TBH, she used to be on all the time and I think she could do the Morning/Afternoon News if need be.

1 Like

Correct he signed 3 year contracts with Nine and 2GB in late 2014.

Oops

2 Likes

There’ll probably just be an extended segment following Ken’s last sports report looking back on his career and thanking him for his contribution Nine over a few decades

6 Likes

I think it will still be 1 hour, but certainly would be some tribute to Ken at the end of it, so less other news to accomodate that.

Will be interesting to see if there is any ratings increase as a result. As it will be the biggest occasion for Nine News Sydney in this respect since “Hendo” retired 15 years ago.

3 Likes

Since tomorrow night’s bulletin will be running for an hour and won’t be shortened due to the cricket or anything, there should be plenty of time to look back at Ken Sutcliffe’s career. Presumably there’ll be some sort of tribute package, possibly with clips of well wishes from some of the people that Kenny worked with over the years (although unfortunately, some of the legends that made Ken’s career great have since passed on) and Sydney sporting identities?

More importantly, I wonder if Seven will do the classy thing by allowing Mel McLaughlin (or whoever will be presenting Sport on Seven News Sydney tomorrow night) to make a brief mention/well wishes for Ken’s retirement? Considering how long Ken Sutcliffe has been a part of Nine’s Sydney news bulletin for, I personally think that network rivalries should be put aside for an occasion like this.

Mind you I don’t remember if Seven did something like that back in 2002 when Brian Henderson retired, but I do remember that on November 27, 2009 when Ian Ross signed off from Seven News Sydney for the final time, Georgie Gardner (I think that’s who was reading Nine’s Sydney news bulletin that night) said a brief farewell to Ian Ross at the end of Nine News Sydney that night!

Nine have certainly been airing promos for Ken’s final night/week, so there should be viewer awareness about Ken Sutcliffe’s retirement amongst mainstream Sydney. I agree about it being the biggest change for Nine News Sydney since Brian Henderson’s retirement in 2002 as well.

Ken Sutcliffe has been presenting weeknight (and more recently, Sunday to Thursday when the rosters changed) sport on Nine’s Sydney 6pm bulletin since May 1988 when his predecessor Mike Gibson moved to Channel Ten and probably did weekends or fill-in spots before that, so definitely one of those presenters who’ll probably always be associated with Nine News here in Sydney! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Though I’d be surpised if Seven makes any mention of Ken’s retirement tomorrow night.

One thing different about Ian Ross is that he was a long time Nine employee who served his twilight years at Seven.

3 Likes

Do we know if Cameron Williams is starting on Sunday? Or will be return next year?

I would guess he is starting in the new year.

1 Like

Tom Steinfort’s first day working back in Sydney and he presented Thursday Morning & Afternoon News,suppose he will now be a regular fill in newsreader on daytime bulletins.

2 Likes

###FAREWELL TO KEN SUTCLIFFE

Tonight at 6.00pm

The Nine Network will tonight farewell one of its biggest and brightest stars as legendary sports presenter Ken Sutcliffe reads his final bulletin on Nine News at 6.00pm.

Sutcliffe has enjoyed a stellar media career, spanning 50 years across radio and television.

During his illustrious reign as ‘The King of Sport’, Sutcliffe has covered the biggest sporting events of the past five decades and established himself as Australia’s preeminent sports reporter.

Tonight’s bulletin of Nine News will feature a special package of highlights from Sutcliffe’s long and distinguished career.

A roll-call of famous faces has also lined up to pay tribute to the man who has called Nine home since 1979.

Malcolm Turnbull, Mick Doohan, Shane Warne, John Newcombe, Liz Hayes, David Hill, Ray Warren, Mark Taylor, Michael Slater and Sally Pearson will all feature in tonight’s special bulletin, each eager to pay homage to a much-loved media identity.

Simon Hobbs, Director of Nine News Sydney, said: “Ken Sutcliffe is arguably the finest sports reporter and interviewer this country has known. He has broken a swag of the biggest stories in sport and presented some of the most memorable and insightful interviews Australian sport has ever seen. It is impossible to do proper justice to such a celebrated career but tonight we will tip our hat to a true-blue Aussie legend.”

Peter Overton, Host of Nine News Sydney, added: “I am very emotional about today. It really is the end of an extraordinary era in broadcasting. I will miss sitting next to him every night so much. He’s not just my colleague, he has been a dear friend for 25 years.”

9 Likes