Nine News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Do you actually think Nine will actually be so willing to give them a pay of more than 7 figures?

Of course not. And even if they did Kerry Stokes would just offer same. 7 Perth is his pet favourite

4 Likes

Kerry Stokes would probably do everything realistically possible to keep Seven West Media as the most dominant media company in Perth, including retaining the marketā€™s extremely popular TV newsreaders.

Also, how do we know there isnā€™t a ā€œRick & Sue juniorā€ duo being groomed to take the position at Seven News Perth once the iconic paring retires?

I canā€™t really imagine Nine wanting to pay the newsreaders of the currently lowest rating bulletin in Perth a salary thatā€™s probably equal to or maybe even above what the likes of Tracy Grimshaw, Peter Overton and Peter Hitchener would get.

No money in the world will move Sue and Rick
I remember when bondy owed nine her offered them everything including the kitchen sink

4 Likes

With 9 news perth changing readers a lot, this has shown it kills your audience. They have never regained viewership for a long time.

6 Likes

I hope this doesnā€™t have a flow on affect to Adelaide. The duo of Kate and Brenton have increased their audience share this year (IIRC) and have been closing the gap, especially with the 630 half hour. I think even the last few weeks theyā€™ve managed to win, or almost win a few days at the 630 half hour against TT.

But pretty ridiculous to dump Tim and Emmy, I actually thought they were going to be in it for the long haul. From what Iā€™ve seen, they are both competent presenters and flexible in their styles of delivery. Obviously they donā€™t have the gravitas of Rick and Sue, but Rick and Sue didnā€™t get there over night. Especially in the early years up against Greg Pearce/Peter Waltham and Anne Conti on Nine. They had the pulling power on Nine back then.

6 Likes

Is the local Perth portion of Today now finished for the year? And is it finished forever?

Nine News Perth average audience this year was up by about 2,000 on weeknights but unfortunately so was Sevenā€™s! However that was still a very good result as previously the bulletin dropped 13% from 2015 to 2016, so to reverse that trend was an achievement but seemingly not rewarded.

Nine News Adelaide lost share to Seven compared to last year.

The whole saga is pretty unfortunate. It seemed as if Nine was investing in the news in Perth especially launching the new studio and set first in the city.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see a change towards the Brisbane style news. The tabloid approach has delivered a huge increase in audience share in Brisbane and went against the trend of most cities where news audiences have been dropping every year.

4 Likes

they did, slightly then slipped back to the old ways.

I believe they were only getting 60,000 viewers compared to 7ā€™s 220,000+ā€¦

Ten still get around 90,000 I think.

1 Like

I stand corrected then. 2018 could be quite interesting across the board

Iā€™ll post a news summary for 2017 and compare that to 2016 for the 5 markets. I have done the Mon-Fri but I think that adding the weekend info would be of value - hopefully later today.

2 Likes

How did Libby Stone rate when her and Tim were anchoring back in 2014/15? I would Imagine Emmy & Tim rated better as a duo.

1 Like

Disappointing really.

Could this be the start of a move to have STW incorporated into the regional suite of local news and be a rip and read bulletin out of a broom cupboard in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane? Given there isnā€™t a big return on a low rating bulletin, is this an option? We never thought it would happen to Darwin, could Perth be next?

2 Likes

Whenever I watch Seven Perth montages on Youtube, Iā€™m shocked by how backward the whole thing is. The set, the presenters, the fashion, the style - itā€™s all so incredibly late 90s and very strange. I find Rick and Sue to be very hard to relate to, especially Rick for some reason.Yet it fucking rates. One in ten Perthites watch Seven News Perth. I really donā€™t understand it.

Itā€™s sad that Nine is seemingly winding down its commitment to turning things around in that city, especially since it gives Seven an opportunity to maintain the rage once Rick and Sue retire. I also think itā€™s incredibly reckless to fire both of the presenters of the bulletin in one fell swoop - this new news director sure has made some ā€œbraveā€ moves, which while making some sense on paper, are very bad for the service. Talent and familiar faces are important to viewers and so it feels somewhat foolish to get rid of the faces which viewers might most recognise. Especially since there is seemingly no obvious replacement which would make much of a dent in viewership, except for the extremely unlikely poaching of Rick and Sue.

5 Likes

I could not see that happening. Nine only moved into its new headquarters in Perth a year or so ago and has pretty much the most up to date facilities in the country, not to mention the first set of the current generation of Nine News.

I think the bulletin will revert to single-headed presentation for the timebeing. Probably Today Perth News will be axed as well.

8 Likes

You canā€™t compare Darwin to Perth. One has a population of around 140k, while the other has around 1.8 million people.

Although Nine News Perth is not rating well at the moment (well to be truthful, it hasnā€™t rated well for over 25 years), giving STW the ā€œNine News Regionalā€ treatment would literally scream ā€œWe donā€™t want you to watch Channel Nineā€ to Perth viewers so I canā€™t really see that happening.

With Darwinā€™s bulletin rating high and Perthā€™s rating low, they end up about even.

Is 9 Live Perth going to return in 2018? Emmy Kubainski was a regular host of Channel 9ā€™s arvo news at 4PM. Someone will need to do the Arvo news.

1 Like

Today Perth News always goes on a break over summer due to the continual interruptions from the cricket. Always liked the idea of it, will be interesting to see if it returns next year. In regard 9 Live Perth, they can get one of the reporters to present it like in Adelaide, neither Kate or Brenton present 9 Live Adelaide.

2 Likes

The production of local news e.g. in Queensland is the biggest waste of time considering Seven has dominated for a prolonged period of time. The hiring of reporters, presenters, production staff etc all adds up and in the long term could have detrimental effects on the network and in my opinion is affecting smaller markets such as Perth and Adelaide.

I think the presentation has something to do with Sevens Head of News at the time giving too much freedom to local markets hence resulting in an un-unified brand. I personally found that we saw much more from Rick and Sue in terms of banter and that stuff before they moved to Osborne Park. Now we donā€™t see that because Seven News Perth has no closer and it goes from weather straight to TT