Nine News Local

by April Nine News will be outrating Prime7.

By August, WIN will be in the rear vision mirror, and look out ABC.

2 Likes

Personally, I would probably wait a few months (especially once the whole Southern NSW/ACT market is covered, the weather cools down, the sun sets earlier and the NRL season gets into full swing) before coming to any conclusions on the ratings of these new regional editions of Nine News.

In the coming weeks and months, I’m sure there will be plenty of tweaks and fine-tuning. I’d also expect both Nine and SCA to do some viewer research to find out what works and what doesn’t with these new regional bulletins.

I still think these new regional editions of Nine News have the potential to eventually become successful in the ratings, but both Nine & SCA need to be patient and in it for the long haul. Remember to keep in mind that it took a good 2-3 years for Nine News Sydney with Peter Overton to go from a ratings basketcase to a very clear #1 in the ratings.

2 Likes

News update just aired. Looks like chair has been replaced. Thank goodness!

9 Likes

from what I understand a lot of people watched it back today and made copious amounts of notes on where to change and what to improve.

It will be worked on.

6 Likes

Yes… Like these factors will provide a boost :disappointed:

NB/
Canberra is the nations capital and has long been perceived as a ‘national’ city. There would be probably as many people originally from Melbourne… As from Brisbane… As from Sydney living there. Just like there would be many AFL fans… As NRL fans… As cricket fans, etc.

The only thing is, Canberra stations receive the Sydney metro feeds.

You’ve been here long enough to know that SydneyCityTV makes a very valid point. 6pm in early February is a very different time to 6pm in the middle of July.

In one, the sun is still high in the sky, the weather is warm and people are enjoying the outdoors. In the other, it’s pitch black and freezing cold outside, and people are in their homes, making or eating dinner, TV on.

10 Likes

Yes, I understand that.

I just don’t know how much of a difference it makes to ratings (surely not in the thousands)?

Depends on the city. Canberra on its own is a relatively small market where only event TV tends to crack the 100k mark.

You can get a fair indication on the differences by reviewing our ratings threads for news ratings in winter vs summer for the metro markets.

1 Like

A tight budget has nothing to do with the backdrop does it? Or where they have Vanessa sit in the shot? Or the music they use going to the break? Or the opener?

My point is that there was no need for Nine to deviate from what they already do in metro areas. I’m not talking about the content or staffing levels, purely the look of the bulletin on-screen.

1 Like

Perhaps 10 years ago, but in recent years and especially since the centenary a much stronger city focused community has developed in Canberra. You’ll always have people who still basically live their life as a queenslander or a victorian or a sydneysider but they’re often much younger and aren’t watching 6pm news anyway.

2 Likes

I think I may have been a bit harsh yesterday, 9News Canberra is of course better than WIN’s offering but I think we all expect TCN9 can do better than what we saw then.

Today the chair’s gone (easy) but they still need to address these issues soon:

1. Add story-specific backgrounds behind the presenters (the Parly House background + “SPORT” during the sport segment are so bad); I don’t see any excuse for 9News to be this lazy (if they don’t fix it, that’s what it is).
  2. Add some vision for the short stories read by Vanessa (like tonight’s rainy car crashes bit)
  3. Fix the theme at the ad breaks
  4. Less Sydney fill-in Sydney stories would be nice
  5. A second camera in the studio so they can properly switch between presenters (and the lack of a hand-back to Vanessa at the end of sport still seems odd).

Despite early issues it’s been a reasonable start, but I hope Nine can improve at least a few of these soon.

6 Likes

The studio is really small. I believe it was an edit suite at one stage.

2 Likes

I agree 100% with these comments.
Thinking about here in NQ for example, I think it’s going to take Nine/SCA a good probably 2 years to make a decent dent in the audience of 7 News. I think it’s entirely possible, but they need to stick with it for the long haul.

4 Likes

Anyone have some decent shots of the space I would love to have a go at recreating it / making something new in it.

Did they fix up the opener to include proper headlines tonight?

Finally got to watch the video -

• They should pull out the shot a bit - I did a mock from an edit to the sport handover. Having some form of set in the shot just looks nicer.
  • Sport really should put GIO Stadium in the background, there looks like there’s some stadium shot in there, but it doesn’t look like GIO.
  • I don’t know if it’s just the video quality, but audio seemed really bad - the volume levels seemed all over the place.

They failed on localism a bit

• ‘crossing live to Canberra’, not mentioning Queanbean specifically, that just makes it feel like they are in another city.
  • The weather report was even worse for that - it’s not “the nation’s capital” and “Canberra’s” weather - it’s the weather in “the city” and the region around it.

Oddities like the lack of proper opener - no real introduction and lack of interaction between presenters are weird. I can see viewers being turned off by having this suddenly replace the Sydney news.

I think this will be the best long term, the investment in local news is great, and the format is I think the correct one - there’s just not a half hour’s worth of fully local news each night, making those bulletins largely filler - but there’s so many little things they could have done better.

6 Likes

You can see the whole thing in this shot from up-thread:

You can see that the plasma is basically in one corner and then the side panels reach across to the other corner. There is no space for anything more than the existing arrangement in that space.

3 Likes

Apparently this shot is from NBN studios.

If it’s anything like Prime7’s weather coverage you get the feeling that there is a disconnect between the presenter and the location they’re covering - it was particularly prevalent when Prime was still doing the news out of Tamworth but the weather from Canberra

5 Likes

This mock would be SOO much better than what they are using now, looks 100x better, allowing for the desk and wider set to be shown. Swap the local backdrop for a story-based OTS and that would be absolutely perfect!