Nine News Local

Fuck you both for making me want Maccas for lunch.

9 Likes

If only there was a big Aldi sign it would be OK :nauseated_face:

7 Likes

With links and signals being passed through fibre optics and the internet, I don’t think that’s really a requirement for most television broadcasters these days. FM radio is different though.

A lot of television stations don’t have their own individual Presentation, MCR or Engineering departments anymore (or never did) so line of sight doesn’t matter so much.

2 Likes

Queensland have now updated their endtags to include Jonathan Uptin.

1 Like

Yes and no. Almost all regional TV sites are still fed by microwave links or off-air from nearby transmitters in the case of some repeaters.
WIN and Prime do this via the Digital Distribution Australia (DDA) network (owned by WIN) - which is a network for microwave links covering Victoria, NSW and Queensland.
SCA in Victoria, NSW, SA, and Tasmania run fibre to their local offices, but then use a microwave link as the last leg to get the signal to the transmission site. In Northern Queensland, use a microwave network running from Brisbane to Cairns (although I believe this is now run by a third party).
But back on topic…

The quality from a camera that would be a suitable size to mount on an existing mast, coupled with a low bit rate would give an image that really wouldn’t be suitable for broadcast. You might think it would be OK, but such a setup would cop the exact same amount of hate on here as their current setup.
It would also be a lot of effort and expense for something that really wouldn’t make that much difference. Yes, it would be cool if they could do it successfully, but I hardly think anyone is choosing the bulletin they watch based on the background image.

Just came on here to post the same thing.

Jonathan was shown presenting with a selection of stories from last week shown, with both Sam and Jono now added on the end board.

2 Likes

It’s a miracle any signals get out of the building at all if this M is as all encompassing as you note. This street view shot shows a reasonable window that a zoom feature (found on most cameras) could work with.

1 Like

But why would you want to look at Maccas and a generic road over the shot of the city you see now?

We could run a live feed camera back off Mt Stuart but it’s so far away from the city that it wouldn’t look any good either.

5 Likes

Seven’s approach seems fine - pre-record a video loop of the local area to use it - so there’s something moving in the background rather than just the static image.

7 Likes

Agree. When the anchors did those promo shoots in the regional areas, Nine should have filmed an overview of each city/suburb between 6-7. Then by the launch, they can play it on loop. They could have refilmed in in summer, as well.

5 Likes

Yes, because a shot of McDonald’s is exactly what I was hoping for. I think we could all think a little less literally on Media Spy. Height and Zoom work wonders in television, believe me.

The background shot for 9 News Canberra is from a mountain top (Mt Ainsle). Not sure why Townsville is so unphotogenic from Mt Stuart (below), but I’ll take the word of locals.

2 Likes

Didn’t manage to cap it, but just saw a clearly SCA produced promo for “Nine Local News”.

2 Likes

Why would a simple sign block the signals getting out of SCA’s building??
We were talking about mounting a camera on the SCA building - to which I clearly outlined the McDonalds sign would be in the shot.
A sign on the other side of the road is not going to block the radio signals going out of the building…

As you can see in the google street view photo you posted, the M sign is about 3x the height of the McDonalds building… the McDonalds building is about the same height as the SCA building across the road, hence what I was saying about the sign being 3x the height.

i.e. this statement is perfectly correct:

Yes, Mt Stuart is about 15km south of the city, you really wouldn’t have much to look at with a camera on it.

The Townsville photo used on 9 News is from the top of Castle Hill (not Mt Stuart).
Mt Stuart is far too far away to be able to see the CBD clearly from a camera, so a daytime shot from it (as they use on 9 News) would be showing nothing but houses in the suburbs.

Afternoon promo :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Wasn’t able to record it, but there was a generalised weather report for all of the Nine News Regional NSW bulletins last night. Vanessa O’Hanlon presented it.

1 Like

Yesterday’s weather graphics shown tonight so they canned the weather report. Embarrassing

3 Likes

Which edition?

I presume @EuroKick is referring to the Canberra bulletin.

Yesterday’s (21.9.2017) weather graphics/information on tonight’s (22.9.2017) Illawarra bulletin:

4 Likes

Not the first time. How is this even possible. Dumb.

5 Likes