Nine News Local

Watching that weather report on the Sunshine Coast bulletin.

I noted that Monto was listed as a minimum of 10, while nearly all others were colder.

I have family who are currently staying with someone down there and told me it was always really cold in the morning - so I thought 10 seemed a bit high.

Checked the BOM and Monto is reported as 3 to 27 on Friday - not 10 to 26.
Then decided to check some other places - 1770 - BOM says 17 to 25 - not 11 to 27.

Seems they’ve got dodgy numbers?

2 Likes

In glorious Canberra-playout blurovision.

1 Like

Two thoughts (which may seem at odds):

Wow some people expect a lot; we in the nation’s capital had to put up with crap/nothing for many years, and Nine’s current bulletin here is worse than regional Qld (my impression is it’s the best of the poor lot).

However I suspect this view is indicative of how people expect so much better from 9News, perhaps as opposed to some crappy local news bulletin created by a regional affiliate.

(From a normal viewer’s perspective) I think it’d be reasonable to expect that after more than a year as the Nine affiliate, SCA would’ve upgraded their playout facilities, while we here have heard of SCA’s plans to sell off the land where CTC is in Watson, ACT, and presumably after that they’ll shift playout to some new facility or (hopefully not but probably the ABC-/WIN-owned) MediaHub.

I personally think Nine’s QLD bulletins are better than the SNSW/ACT ones, while the Victorian ones are the best.

1 Like

Looking at YouTube vids of Nine News from Regional QLD uploaded by a couple of members here, they got the general story rundown right, in which after the top story of the day, they go straight to the local news insert relevant to a particular region before rejoining the statewide feed midway through the first segment.

With that in mind, I feel that the Southern NSW/ACT bulletins (at least) should do like what the QLD bulletins are doing, because at the moment, people in Canberra, for instance, have to put up with local Sydney stories that are not relevant to anyone outside of the metropolitan area before getting to the local news stories that really matter to them. From my observations, Nine News’ local windows in SNSW/ACT don’t start until WIN News (& Prime7 News in markets with full bulletins) is nearing the end of its 2nd segment.

Hence that’s why when I was in Canberra last month, I watched WIN News from 6pm before flicking over to Nine News at around 6:15pm for their local news window. It’s the same for when I’m occasionally watching the Illawarra local news bulletins at home, especially when I’m getting a signal of SCA Nine from Wollongong (it’s generally received much weaker than WIN & Prime7 at my home location).

4 Likes

I knew the Nine regional sets looked familiar…oh wait

(credits to @SydneyCityTV)

EDIT: At least this looks a bit more decent than some of the regional backdrops that Nine’s been using (cough Nine Riverina cough)

12 Likes

That seems pretty ridiculous waiting that long before mentioning anything local!

In QLD, as stated, the local window is right at the start of the bulletin (after the 1st story).

From my comparisons, the entire local window on 9 News airs for the same amount of time as the 1st segment on 7 News.

Usually around 6:10pm, 7 News has already covered all the major local stories and has gone to the first ad break, and 9 News has covered the local window and similarly all the major local stories and has gone to statewide stories.

1 Like

What event was that from?

On a separate note, that shows how far the fake window should extend: minimal obstruction of the local backdrop.

2 Likes

It was from the Rio 2016 Olympics where Seven News presented sport from their virtual studio.

1 Like

Surely Nine could do some OTS a bit like this for the live sections right?

2 Likes

I feel like OTS would dramatically improve the presentation of the regional bulletins!

4 Likes

And instead of using that fake screen to disambiguate feeds, maybe they could use a permanent watermark à la Afternoon News?

1 Like

Darwin is a regional area, and part of Queensland? That’s what some territorians have deduced from Dalton talking up the new format. I’ve seen some comments that that Mike Dalton is a joke.

4 Likes

If you ask me, it’s an absolute insult how they’re trumpeting the “streamlined” Nine News Darwin as a new bulletin when in reality…

*Darwin and the NT is losing their only locally produced commercial TV news bulletin. They now join Australia’s other major mainland territory (that of course being the ACT) in only having ABC News at 7pm as a proper live & local news service seven nights a week.
*Top End viewers may no longer see live news content on their local edition of Nine News, with the half hour time difference between Queensland and the Northern Territory.
*The changes also mean an end to local news on weekends, with Nine News Queensland now airing on Saturdays & Sundays.

Of course these changes are better than the axing of Darwin’s news service entirely, but be honest Nine!

He’s absolutely hilarious as Sydney’s fluff/puff piece correspondent…oh wait, wrong Mike Dalton from Nine News.

Sorry, but I just couldn’t resist! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

Will never understand why the Darwin news is going to be presented from Queensland. Disgraceful.

3 Likes

Not surprising considering he was the disciple of the late Peter Harvey :joy: .

When you look at the reality of this situation, it’s pretty bad that all states receive their local news bulletins from major commercial networks and the ABC, while Territorians only get ABC. Is this the best Australian Media have got? Are Territorians not worthy of commercial TV News?

Oh well, at least they still get news from Darwin and have Jono as one of their anchors.

6 Likes

I think you are thinking of the other Mike Dalton, the quirky reporter?

Lol it was mentioned on purpose.

1 Like