Nine News Local

Wow! That is poor form.

9 News in QLD is not like that at all.
The entire local window covers stories related to this market only (usually approx. 4 full stories, and another 2 read from Sam at the desk).

The rest of the bulletin covers basically the same national/international stories covered in the Brisbane bulletin, skipping all of the irrelevant Brisbane-based stories.
Usually there is 1 story per night during the “national” segment of the bulletin from one of the other regional markets, these are usually in the form of Samantha reading the headline with footage shown, rather than a full-blown story, and they are usually stories that would be of interest to viewers in other markets anyway.

3 Likes

While I agree that there needs to be more of a promotional emphasis on the fact that this is a composite bulletin with local/state/national/international content, personally I think it’s a good thing that Nine News North Queensland (and presumably the other versions) is featuring stories from the outlying areas of it’s viewing area because it shows just how committed the journalists are to their jobs.

Not everything centres around the main town(s) of a viewing area. So if there are stories happening in the outlying areas that Nine thinks would interest their viewers, then by all means they should be covering those stories. I’m sure viewers in Charters Towers, Ayr & Bowen would be glad to see news stories about their town making it onto Nine News North Queensland if Seven/WIN rarely covers anything from those places outside of a mention on the weather map.

If you want to talk about stories from Cairns making it into the Townsville bulletin (or visa versa)…well I think Seven has done that before.

2 Likes

Yeah, all the time. 7 News often incorporates stories from other markets into their bulletin.

Yeah, I completely agree. On further thought I can also recall 2 stories in the last week from Ingham as well, meaning they’ve already covered stories from all of the outlying towns in the market. In each occasion the reporter has been seen at each location talking to the camera.

The Mackay bulletin also launched with a story from Lindeman Island, again showing their interest to cover other local areas.

Last night’s NQ bulletin featured a story from an inland mining community in the Rockhampton market area also, during the national segment.

So 9 are definitely making sure they cover the whole market area!

2 Likes

Good Observation. Nine has the ability in Queensland, yet it needs more improvement for VIC, SNSW, and NBN News. They should’ve increased more local content for less out-of-market fillers.

1 Like

@NQCQTV2 @TV-ACT Agreed. Another missed opportunity was Nine not pushing the fact that Samantha Heathwood was returning to Queensland screens and teaming up with Paul Taylor, promoting familiar faces could also help entice viewers (and it would piss off WIN knowing that they’re both now on Nine).

“Nine News [region] is coming.”

[presenter] “The breaking news and sport that matters where you live.”

“Samantha Heathwood returns to Queensland news, alongside Paul Taylor on sport. With the experience and resources of Australia’s best news, Nine will now deliver local, national and international news, in one all-new, hour-long bulletin.”

[presenter] “See the news you want; live, local and free.”

“Nine News [region]. Starts Monday at six.”

9 Likes

Has there been any ratings released that backs Gavin Morris’ claim Nine is now beating Win in Canberra?

2 Likes

A change to the weather graphics again tonight.
The weather preview for tomorrow for the cities is no longer split into Morning/Afternoon/Overnight.

Not sure why the change.

4 Likes

Here’s an example of the entire news local window segment from 9 News Mackay:

YouTube link

Here’s the same from 9 News North QLD:

YouTube link

9 News Mackay Montage

9 News North QLD Montage

Cairns now with short video tweets

An “out there” idea that I know won’t happen, but one that I think GTV should consider…

I know that the various Nine News Victoria bulletins are produced for SCA, but I think GTV should leverage off that and produce a version for Geelong, which doesn’t have any news of their own on the telly.

It could be aired on the Highton repeater.

2 Likes

the problem with that - and a western Sydney bulletin for arguments sake - is how that TX repeater is fed. It doesn’t have it’s own equipment capable of generating an independant stream (unlike QTQ’s Mt Tamborine repater for the Gold Coast which does.)

Therefore it’s a significant investment in resources to make that happen, rather than just getting the bulletin to air.

5 Likes

yes, I agree with that too, but Geelong City has a population of approx. 180,000, I think such an investment is warranted.

2 Likes

Just throw a Geelong report on GTV bulletin, it’s basically a Melbourne suburb now.

EXACTLY, I’ve said that many times on the forum and it’s just dismissed off saying it would disrupt the SFN at Highton.

Since many in the Ocean Grove area get signal issues, there should be a repeater for WIN, PRIME , SC, or maybe put a JV for the Geelong area, making it like NBN.

Would there really be all that much of a public demand for Geelong-specific local news broadcasts? I’m not overly familiar with that area.

Not to mention that in the case of Western Sydney, plenty of people probably still have their TV antennas pointed at the main Willoughby/Artarmon/Gore Hill transmitters (or are watching the FTA stations via the retransmissions on Foxtel) despite the fact that translators at Razorback and Kurrajong Heights have come online in recent years. And of course, the main Sydney TV news bulletins have heaps of coverage of the Western suburbs as it is now.

Realistically, I can’t see any of the networks doing local news broadcasts specifically for Geelong or Western Sydney anytime in the foreseeable future.

4 Likes

They could always put a 5.30pm bulletin for Geelong on 9GEM.

3 Likes

C31 used to have ‘News Geelong’ but I think that has been axed.

Coming out of the Melbourne Transmitter???

IMO, if there was going to be another transmitter added in the Geelong area, there should be a push for antennas to be re pointed to Geelong site.

@TV.Cynic How many transmitters does Nine Gold Coast News come off?

There is the main Mount Tamborine site that is 100kw plus two low power relays at 1kw approx. Geelong is 4kw.

2 Likes

Not sure if the investment for a full hour bulletin would be necessary considering Geelong is part of the Melbourne licence area. Perhaps a Gold Coast-style 30-min bulletin would be more viable (Geelong population of ~192k is significantly lower than GC ~647k), but uncertain if Nine would take such a step.

2 Likes