Nine News Local

I personally was never expecting to see the new sets used on the regional bulletins.
My assumption was that we would see the old city sets retired to the regional bulletins and used.

It would be good if they still utilised a physical set for the opener/sport cross, etc. but rolled in a green screen for the scenes in between to show the localised backgrounds.

7 Likes

Presumably they could do a green screen panel as part of a wider physical set - rather than the virtual environment look that the images in those monitors have.

If they were keying in a live shot, that’d make more sense - but to key in what looks like a generic globe, even with a small bit of local scenery embedded in it, looks worse than WIN’s efforts.

Hopefully, that’s all just for the test runs and that the actual bulletins will be on a real set.

11 Likes

Not a great effort with that promo. All they had to do was record the same lines from venessa and whack an image of Wollongong up behind her. Instead they have Parliment House.

The line “commuted to your city, coast and country” - also is generic and not well
Thought out. It sounds like an outsider saying it.

“Commited to Wollongong and the Illawarra” would have been so much better.

1 Like

that would go down well with Wollongong residents… :wink:

1 Like

It’s possible the openers would be generic like the nbn news openers.

Former SC News update presenter Aggie Bradshaw is moving to Orange as a journalist for 9 Local News.

4 Likes

Yay, just great

Vanessa posted this to Twitter.

“Taking you behind the scenes of local 9 News Canberra, 5 more sleeps!”

18 Likes

:boom::bomb:

So there possibly could be a set after all?

3 Likes

Is that studio 1?

2 Likes

I still think we will see some segments pre-recorded on the new metro sets with live bits in between presented from a plasma/green screen.

11 Likes

I agree. Perhaps there might be pre-recorded set wideshots for the Opener, Closer and maybe a few other segments done from the metro sets for these new regional bulletins?

4 Likes

Yeah on the bottom corner picture you can see part of the Sydney title card with a small bit of the opera house showing behind Vanessa on the curved screen

1 Like

I think I agree with this. Realistically a lot of the metro bulletins is just the presenter reading with the screen behind them, which can be easily replicated with a green screen. The set really only features in opener, closer and special reports, which can be more easily pre-recorded.

2 Likes

How viable would it be for SCA to construct a smaller desk and platform and use green screen to superimpose the presenter on a scaled-down set? Like British ITV News?

1 Like

This seems like the most logical scenario, and probably a good compromise.

It would utilise the great new look of the metro sets without interrupting the metro news or the cost of duplicating the set, while also allowing for individualised local backdrops into each market during the live statewide segments. It’s actually quite a smart way of doing things when you think about it, if that was the route Nine chose to take.

They could show wide shots of Vanessa at the metro set desk during the opener, and transition straight into a live shot of her in front of the green screen elsewhere for the first story quite easily I reckon without it appearing obvious that it was cutting from pre-recorded to live.

Then, all local windows could be prerecorded from the metro set with more of the set shown again, with crosses to weather, etc. prerecorded at the set. Then Vanessa could sign off live and with the footage then cutting to a prerecorded wideshot of the metro set at close.

If done correctly viewers would have no idea that it’s not all done in the one set.

7 Likes

@NQCQTV2

That sounds like an extremely complicated set up. Nines priority is to get the 6pm Sydney news out.

You could be right. Well
Know in 5 days. It seems like a lot of work to just give viewers the impression of a real set. If a real set was so important they would
Build
One.

Those shots Vanessa posted look like a promo shoot to me. The camera man is locked off on a tripod on a promo camera shooting, not a studio camera

Also the lighting brought in indicates a shoot. If they were doing the actual news they would use the lighting grid of he studio.

6 Likes

This shot of Vanessa isn’t in on new TCN news set, which has a single curved screen not the sectioned screens (bascially TV sets) you can clearly see here showing Parliament House. You’ll also notice the set in this shot has white/grey cap on the flats with stripped lighting. The new TCN set is red with a pale blue key strip. The footlight on this set is white too, following the full curve - which is not the current style of the TCN set.

Kick-IT is quite right in saying the Sydney bulletin is the priorty, but there are several other considerations, the first being that the Regional News studio will be in almost constant use from about 2pm getting all the pre-records done. There won’t be time to ‘borrow’ a set for stand ups.

Kick-IT is also right in noting that studio cameras and rigged lighting are not evident in this shot, though I’m not sure what conclusions one could draw from that - other than the fact they weren’t broadcasting at that moment.

All will be revealed on Monday!

5 Likes

@CTC7-9-10 If that is indeed a separate set to be used for the new bulletin, and NOT the Sydney set as you are clearly suggesting - I will be shocked. But very pleasantly so! The Sydney set DOES in fact have a video wall made up of monitors (as seen in this shot with Parl House) just got to the 9 News thread and scroll up to posts 8 days ago

1 Like