Nine News Local

Good theory although they ran news direct from TCN (supplemented with a local window for some time) for years on weekends before they did a full local weekend bulletin out of Darwin.

3 Likes

Opening story tonight was about a bunch of cars on fire at a staff car park… again, no location was even referenced, but the story was presented from a “local perspective” with the reporter saying “the workers are here working on the new Amart building”.

At this stage my partner looked at me and said “no Amart building, what the hell is she talking about?”, thinking the story was local.

This story was shown statewide, with literally no location mentioned. I got the impression it was a Darwin story… but who knows!

2 Likes

I wonder if/when the ABC’s Media Watch program will finally take a look at the quality of Nine’s regional news coverage.

Don’t know what things are like in Victoria but between the Queensland/Darwin bulletins presenting stories that are possibly from Brisbane as local, Southern NSW/ACT not getting Vanessa O’Hanlon to present bulletins on-location for major stories in their viewing area (such as the Tathra Bushfires & Lib Spill 2) when Peter Overton is for Sydney audiences and TCN continuing to send reporters to Regional NSW for stories which would probably be covered adequately by locally-based reporters…that’s at least enough material for half an episode surely?

2 Likes

Each to their own but I feel that presentation is the thing that’s really bugging me. It’s so cheap.

As many have said it, they should just get a metro desk (and stage) and have a full green studio where they can key in the metro set. Surely it’s got to be cheaper than the current mess they have?

Content should also improve, but I think they should be applauded for at least providing regional viewers with a news service when all Prime do is a relayed Sydney bulletin and WIN providing a half-arsed mess of a bulletin.

2 Likes

Well obviously the presentation of Nine’s regional bulletins are still an issue but improving the quality of the content should be the #1 priority.

To be fair, Prime7 do produce local bulletins for a few areas but they too aren’t without issues. That conversation however is for another topic.

1 Like

I think it is a Nine Queensland thing. I posted a comment last week about a similar occurrence on 9’s Brisbane news where no mention was made of the location of a story about a court appearance for an alleged car thief.

3 Likes

TCN will cover stories in any market if it big enough. Damian Ryan was sent to cover a Perth story. It is how nine works… when a story is big enough TCN takes it. Plus a lot of the regional reporters can barely do a live cross (besides Natassia Apolloni).

2 Likes

Regional Queensland Weather was a statewide (and territory-wide) one.

Garry was in two places at once - also on the Brisbane bulletin.

4 Likes

Thanks for the caps!

Interesting that towns like Katherine, Tennant Creek and Mount Isa get a mention on the weather graphics despite being miles outside the coverage area.

2 Likes

Even Yulara and the Alice

2 Likes

Not sure what’s prompted it, but i’ve noticed some improvements recently to the presentation of the bulletin; which has been quite nice.

Recently i’ve noticed just after the local window, we’ve been getting quite a lot of live crosses, often back to back.

I’ve also noticed quite a few occasions where they’ve got Sam and Paul both introducing stories, previously this was only done for the opening story.

4 Likes

Thee two presenters reading alternating sentences? I’ve never liked that.

1 Like

Mike Lorigan presenting NSW/ACT bulletins tonight.

6 Likes

Nine News has really failed the NQ community tonight.

A “Leave Now” bushfire warning was issued for a housing estate about 10km north of my home in Townsville around 4:00pm this afternoon.

9 News tonight opened on a story/live cross about a car accident near Bundaberg, then the 5-minute local window, with no mention of the bushfire/evacuations needed, then after the local window we were told all about bushfires burning outside Darwin, yet still no mention of the emergency situation happening locally.

Meanwhile, over on 7 News, the bulletin opened with “Breaking News” and a full report on the situation, with a reporter on the scene with a “looklive”.

8 Likes

…and Luke Dufficy presented sport:

7 Likes

Possibly because the Darwin bulletin is also shown on Imparja Gem in remote NT and QLD.

EDIT: If that’s still shown. I can’t see it listed in online guides.

It’s listed on yourtv.

4 Likes

I thought that was only when it was a Darwin produced bulletin?

Edit: @littlegezzybear has now answered that question! Thanks

You might find it’s also because Territory and Federal agents and contractors frequently have to travel to and interact with with those places as part of their work.

2 Likes
2 Likes