Nine News Local

Yes, I agree, actually Gavin Morris is probably the most watchable of NBNs presenters, even if only due to his credibility as a meteorologist. His delivery is very bland and dry however, a statue has more personality.

6 Likes

Agree. From the little I have seen from the montages Paul sounds like Geoff Phillips and Natasha sounds like she has a chronic cold. Mitch Hughes doesn’t add much and Gavin, while a meteorologist, is nowhere near as good as David Brown.

5 Likes

It’s a jump back to the days of Karen Pini and before. Hiring an actual meteorologist would be good.

3 Likes

At least these areas have the taste of NBN News (weather-wise).

It is really bad. I can’t imagine “Jacket Lady” and the other alternately present the regional bulletin’s weather every weeknight on SC9 in place of Gavin.

I don’t mind Amber, whilst she may not be a meteorologist, she certainly doesn’t come across as a “ditzy blonde bimbo” style of weather presenter.

She has more personality and a better delivery than Gavin.

5 Likes

It really will be interesting to see how this is managed.

Given they only have the one camera currently for the regional bulletin in QLD, Sam would have to leave the desk while Paul presents sport currently.

With a dual-presenter format starting Monday, they’re going to have to bring in another camera, or else Sam and Jonathan would be constantly up and down and up and down leaving the desk between each story.

Either that or both Sam and Jono would need to be on screen for every story…

Really interesting times ahead for 9 News Regional’s presentation in QLD!

2 Likes

On a similar note, I’m really looking forward to seeing Jonathan Upton join our local edition of 9 News.
Queenslanders (myself included) typically prefer dual presenter style bulletins, so this is a minor plus on that point.

But overall, Jono seems to be a great presenter from what I’ve seen of him over the years, add him in with Sam (who is also a great presenter) and it should make for a great on-air team in QLD.

Not sure if there were any mentions of Jono joining 9 News QLD on tonight’s bulletin as I wasn’t home to watch it, but I’ll certainly have the PVR ready for Monday night.

3 Likes

Unless they decide to shorten it (I’d probably remove the location rather than the presenter names), the Opener VOs are probably going to be very long winded in some regions on Monday night…

“This is Nine News Far North Queensland with Samantha Heathwood and Jonathan Uptin”

Aside from that point, it’ll be very interesting to see how Sam & Jono go as a presenting duo. Hopefully the on-air chemistry will be closer to (if not better) than the quality of Madelaine & Kenny on Prime7, rather than Paul & Tash on NBN or the old paring of Geoff & Kerryn on WIN News Illawarra!

5 Likes

I think Jono is someone who’ll fit in perfectly with Sam and Paul.

There is room for two. Samantha forgot the name of the Broncos in the cross to the sport preview :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Note the change in picture quality between the afternoon news and the update afterwards.

5 Likes

Yes - Southern cross clearly have no HD playout capability, I think that all their adverts are SD as well.

Noticed the use of lower case letters on Nine’s Regional Queensland bulletin (OCD!!) and wondered what criteria might apply to their use but when I looked at the same story on Nine Brisbane the caption was different; the Brisbane report also missed the final 2-3 seconds of the report shown to regional viewers that had info about a the website referred to in the story.

5 Likes

Yeah, all the ad’s on SCA’s Nine stations are in SD. I’ve noticed since WIN took over up here in Northern NSW that the adverts are in HD (the ones that are produced in HD).

4 Likes

Couple of reviews I found on Facebook regarding 9 News Reg. QLD:

[quote]I’m posting this here because this site does not allow for followers to post opinions or a private message service to do so.
This news broadcast is completely ridiculous, 10 minutes of Townsville news in a 1 hour program, surely you could get enough news to fill at least 20 minutes, that still leaves ample time for state, national, international news and local sports.
What an absolutely disrespectful, insulting and laughable news report, a total slap in the face for Townsville residents.
We are the capital of North Queensland and deserve a proper, full and comprehensive news report akin to 9 news Brisbane for the viewers in that area.
If you want my viewer loyalty, I will not settle for less.
Currently chanel 7 provides this.
To add insult to injury you give us a Cairns based weather report… do you think no one will notice ??
Seriously pissed off… I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who has this opinion.[/quote]

2 Likes

An upload of Friday’s full bulletin from Sunny Coast for the record in case of changes to presentation on Monday. Includes the 5:58 update in glorious blurovision. Plus Samantha forgets the name of the Broncos at 33.00 in the throw to sports preview :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Watching that weather report on the Sunshine Coast bulletin.

I noted that Monto was listed as a minimum of 10, while nearly all others were colder.

I have family who are currently staying with someone down there and told me it was always really cold in the morning - so I thought 10 seemed a bit high.

Checked the BOM and Monto is reported as 3 to 27 on Friday - not 10 to 26.
Then decided to check some other places - 1770 - BOM says 17 to 25 - not 11 to 27.

Seems they’ve got dodgy numbers?

2 Likes

In glorious Canberra-playout blurovision.

1 Like

Two thoughts (which may seem at odds):

Wow some people expect a lot; we in the nation’s capital had to put up with crap/nothing for many years, and Nine’s current bulletin here is worse than regional Qld (my impression is it’s the best of the poor lot).

However I suspect this view is indicative of how people expect so much better from 9News, perhaps as opposed to some crappy local news bulletin created by a regional affiliate.

(From a normal viewer’s perspective) I think it’d be reasonable to expect that after more than a year as the Nine affiliate, SCA would’ve upgraded their playout facilities, while we here have heard of SCA’s plans to sell off the land where CTC is in Watson, ACT, and presumably after that they’ll shift playout to some new facility or (hopefully not but probably the ABC-/WIN-owned) MediaHub.

I personally think Nine’s QLD bulletins are better than the SNSW/ACT ones, while the Victorian ones are the best.

1 Like