Nine News Local

I completely agree @CTC7-9-10

This whole viewers will turn off because it is not my city on the background is nonsense.

Viewers all around Australia watch Sydney and Melbourne backdrops constantly.

NBN and SC use backdrops that are so generic they have no local tie at all.

I grew up in a large own in NNSW in the shadow of a few larger cities in the viewing area. It made sense to me that local news came from Coffs Harbour at the time - as that was the largest city in the viewing area. It was not a turn off to see a Coffs backdrop - it made sense. I didnt expect the news to be broadcast from my town. And you’re right it is a bit insulting / patronizing to find a generic farm / trees / coastline shot and say “hey here were are - in generic land over here”

The Riverina backdrop is farmland. And this Border North East backdrop is a rusty rural bridge.

Albury-Wodonga is the doemianmnyt city in the area - and that should feature. And I agree - to be SOMEWHERE looks better than to be NOWHERE (generic)

1 Like

I’d have thought one of the most historically important bridges in the country, spanning the country’s most iconic river, joining two large regional cities in two states is perfect for a news bulletin which serves those cities.

All that news coming out of Sydney gives us a rusty old bridge as their backdrop.

4 Likes

Four weeks ago everyone was having kittens over the fact that the backdrop for the Central West bulletin was a streetscape in Orange, which makes me think this line of thinking is highly contextual.

For what it’s worth, I quite like NNCW’s current backdrop, which is a…wheat field? Some sort of farmland. The geography of the shot they’ve chosen is representative of the geographic look of the tablelands and surrounding areas, which I think goes some way to making the bulletin “local” without having it anchored in one population centre (issues with Vanessa aside).

3 Likes

But do they pretend it’s anything else?

They got this right tonight. “Shellharbour” was seen on screen as one word. Unfortunately they added an “s” to the name of the shopping centre. Stockland, not Stocklands. I know, I’m nit picking now.

5 Likes

A lot of people seem to do this all the time, which shits me.

We have 2 Stockland shopping centres in Townsville which a lot of people also call “stocklands”, Myer is “Myers”, sizzler is “Sizzlers”.

No idea why people do that!

5 Likes

Myer was known as Myer’s Stores for about half their existence, so that probably explains them.

“Westfields” :sweat:

9 Likes

Nine News Central West has crossed to the Sydney bulletin for the London terror attack coverage.

2 Likes
8 Likes

From sub-standard to superb (presenter and presentation wise).

6 Likes

Interesting… Business as usual for 9 Border North East Vic, which started off with a full length opener, same first report followed by a cross to Mark Burrows which was “filed a short time ago”.

Good to know they have the ability to switch to ‘network headquarters’ in a major news event.

8 Likes

I’d expect that the regional news would be dropped in favour of statewide metro bulletins in the event of major domestic news (natural disasters, terror).

7 Likes

NBN News did it following the events of Black Saturday, I’m pretty sure it was on the Sunday and Melinda Smith crossed to Peter Hitchener.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Supermarkets and Retail

Ideally they would do something more like the ABC though - and have a reporter ‘anchor’ the coverage. Dropping back to the Sydney bulletin is something I think they should avoid.

Especially given the huge gulf in presenter talent here, speaks volumes that Nine in Victoria stayed with Jo Hall.

6 Likes

I’m not so sure. Georgie is just introducing pre-recorded packages, why couldn’t this be done by Vanessa? The Perth bulletin would have been done locally, don’t see why regional NSW should be any different. When 9/11 happened, Ten Capital (as it was then) devoted a huge amount of resource in Watson to cover it properly - including live crosses to the US.

Why on earth would a newsroom feel they are not equipped to cover such important news? I’d say this speaks to the nervousness of the new NRN team in covering hard news; and their concern about a backlash from viewers (and those on this website) had they got it wrong.

Did NBN forfeit their right to cover the news and divert to Sydney too?

4 Likes

More recently, NBN News continued to run a locally produced bulletin instead of relaying Nine’s coverage during the 6pm hour on the night of the Sydney siege.

Having watched it, I can confirm that tonight’s NBN News had the entire 1st block dedicated to stories about the London attacks. The local windows were pushed to the 2nd block along with “the rest of the day’s news”.

3 Likes

that was the same with 9 news western Victoria

I agree, if Georgie was introducing pre packages reports - why could Vanessa just not intro same ones - even same scripts could be used

And If a reporter was crossed to live by Georgie - why could not after there 2 minutes cross Venessa cross to them?

(9 News SNSW would need some content for this 2 minutes when Georgie was talking to said reporter in London to wait for them to be avail - but perhaps another London package could be run or she could say “we have Our Europe correspondent on stand by live in London to talk to us in a moment, but before that we just want to bring you up to speed on the other major story of the day…” and run story #2)

My guess is that London correspondent also did a cross for Melb and possibly Brisbane - and they would have had to schedule the interview and navigate avail times also.

3 Likes