Nine News Late

We now cross to Perth (from Perth).

They grow 'em big in WA

6 Likes

I wonder why they go to South Perth to see a dark barely lit skyline of the CBD, instead of going a few blocks away from the studio to a bright Forrest Place or Elizabeth Quay

3 Likes

Some technical gremlins at the start of tonight’s bulletin - switching to a generic background.

9 Likes

Oops! Nine News WA First logo is shown in the late news nation wide

15 Likes

Someone in the control room must have noticed as the logo switched back to the standard 9 News logo midway through that report.

6 Likes

More like Nine News WA Last, as it is shown on a 2-hour delay.

6 Likes

Natalia Cooper is presenting Sunday-Thursday night weather this week

4 Likes

Alicia Loxley is presenting tonight

8 Likes

Tonight: New PM, new PM arrives in Japan VO, then apparently the third biggest story right now was Andrew O’Keefe. (With heavy emphasis on channel 7) jesus

2 Likes

Thursday night, Michael Genovese back from USA presenting late news from Perth.

12 Likes

Great to have him back in Perth. They should promote him to 6pm. Thommo back in sport.

1 Like

Haven’t seen him present before but I’m sure he’s an improvement on “Thommo”.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Nine are grooming him for the role.

Even though it might not immediately work in the ratings, I reckon they should go for a Genovese-Vo double header on weekends.

@nationalnews can you remember how Darren Curtis and Alison Ariotti/Sophie Walsh rated in Queensland when they presented together on weekends between 2014-17? I know they were punted in favour of Jonathan Uptin in early 2018.

Yeah not great nor were they great at doing it. They were up against Kay and Rod on 7, so didn’t have much hope. However, I think Nine not renewing Darren’s contract was a mistake. Ratings with Uptin haven’t been much better IMO.

2 Likes

I think this is/was because when he was appointed as QTQ weekend newsreader in February 2018, he wasn’t a familiar face to metro Brisbane audiences having just moved to the city a few months beforehand (to present the regional QLD and Darwin bulletins), whereas Kay was very familiar to the local audiences having been on television since 1989 (and until stepping down in 2020).

OT but Kay’s TV tenure goes back to the early 80s when she was a Newsreader/Reporter at Channel 0 Brisbane (now 10).

2 Likes

Shame they can’t have the same reader for the 5am and 1130am news, and another reader for the 4pm/5pm and late news.

Seeing they don’t even have consistent readers on the existing and well rated 1130 and 4/5pm news, it’s a long shot to ever expect someone consistent on late news. Though like others have said it would be a good opportunity to build your profile and experience.

1 Like

The other thing they could do (although it would be one hell of a shift) is have the same person do the late and early news, that way there is someone capable of anchoring at a 9 station at all times in case something happens. Then leave everyone else as is during the day.

That probably wouldn’t happen though unless 9 developed a news channel though - it wouldn’t be the best use of resources except for the one time a year that something happens worth that warrants breaking into programming at 2am.

4 Likes

Georgie Gardner is presenting Sunday night

Natalia Cooper is presenting Sun-Thurs weather this week

6 Likes