Nine News Darwin

I wouldn’t think so personally. I mean, I’m no NT local, but I would think he is still a familiar face given he did anchor their news for more than a decade.

Anything can happen I suppose. She would be a FANTASTIC get for the network nonetheless.

3 Likes

I agree - and same.

Darwin would love to have him back but he has had many opportunities like anchoring Today on both weekdays and weekends over the Christmas period as-well-as Nine News Queensland as Weekend Presenter and fill-in on weekdays. He wouldn’t of been able to do that without leaving Darwin.

He probably won’t be interested to downgrade markets unless he was offered more money…

He would be so much better than Dickie on Weekend Today to be honest.

2 Likes

Is NT the first region to get an election broadcast since the 9 News rebrand?

4 Likes

Yes, I believe so.

4 Likes

He can still do 6pm for Brisbane and host the election coverage can’t he, if I have gotten the time zones right? The Darwin news will definitely come from the regional set.

Also, isn’t Charles based at TCN? Assume he’s flying up.

Sure, but he won’t get promoted to Today or anything at HQ. With the right anchor, Brisbane has an opportunity to nab weekends from 7 now with Kay off. They win during the week, why isn’t it working on weekends? If he’s popular in Darwin, I don’t see why he wouldn’t return (unless he’s wanting Wally’s job).

2 Likes

There is 4 possible scenarios that could happen -

1. Present both news and election from the old Darwin studio (still operational) and fly Jono, Paul and Charles (if he gets a travel exemption from Sydney…)

2. Present it from QTQ with Charles flying to Queensland (travel exemption)

3. Jono flys to Sydney and presents coverage from their news or previous today set (gives them access to more resources like political reporters etc) Paul presents news from QTQ

4. Election broadcast in QTQ and Paul on-location in Darwin presenting the news.

Nine would need an additional reporter in Darwin if they choose to go NT wide as there is 3 parties running as-well-as independents which means more locations so they don’t look bias

3 Likes

The majority of production is at QTQ, so present it there and just fly Charles up. You’d assume there’d be some reporters rostered on from Darwin. What will be interesting is how they are going to incorporate the political experts via satellite into the format.

1 Like

Yes but let’s say Paul becomes an anchor for Darwin in some sort of news broadcast as discussed above, this would be a golden opportunity to have him on-location in a popular spot presenting the news.

Promotes localism and interaction with viewers.

But yes, QTQ is the most likely scenario at this stage. ABC are doing the same format but from Sydney.

3 Likes

Also, regarding permanently returning the 6pm News, you’d prefer if it started before the election, if you were running the election coverage, so you could get some momentum and cross-promotion.

4 Likes

Interested to see new presentation for elections under the new graphics.

I would say Charles is there as the expert - but it would make more sense to fly the NT Political Reporter to QTQ and have her present analysis and results considering she’s been based there for the whole term.

NT reporters will just cross live as normal

1 Like

Shorter version of the promo;

1 Like

Not that there’s a huge sample size, but for example the 2006 Victorian election utilised graphics based on the older graphics package:

Wouldn’t be shocked if they just keep what they had for an NT election - though maybe they have something in the works for the Queensland Election that they’ll have already prepared a refresh?

4 Likes

I would say there would be a refresh. I think all state election coverage used the same package?

NT in 2016.

Tonight’s updates;

No transitions in these updates at the start…

1 Like

The satellite dish and fibre links into the old NTD buiding have been pulled out, won’t happen.

1 Like

Correcto, forgot about that

2 out of 5 dishes were pulled out in total recently.

The links at the new site are operational but not really used often. Once a week maybe for Today Show.

Some update caps:

4 Likes

Gavin is no longer presenting weather updates for Darwin.

3 Likes

Who is?

No one! A bit silly that a news service can provide hours of election coverage and special bulletins but not a 1-2 minute weather segment a day.

It would be nice to have catch of the day featured on the weather again as-well, not just on the Darwin We Love It Facebook page.

3 Likes