Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

It honestly should be a requirement of every news broadcast in the country to have a weather presenter that is a meteorologist. Because anyone can read something provided from the BOM but a true meteorologist goes that step further than what is required and adds that finishing touch to the news.

4 Likes

Why? I doubt they’re adding anything BOM isn’t already providing. The American way of always having a meteorologist is kind of pointless when you have a trusted organisation like BOM/The Met Office

6 Likes

Even though all of Australia’s TV networks get their information from the BoM doesn’t mean that a TV forecast can’t be enhanced by having a qualified meteorologist on board to present the information - especially when the big, newsworthy weather events happen.

4 Likes

I also question why should the weather be any different to the news and sport?

The directors would not allow a model ( without any experience in journalism) to read the news, so why should they ( like Scherri in Perth or formerly Bec Judd) present something they know nothing/little about?

Some will say it is pointless because (some) weather segments are two minutes long. Well, how about they cut the consumer reports and provide a decent, in-depth forecast.

It is only because Henderson is deeply respected amongst Nine Sydney viewers.

As if Nine are concerned about Fergo. Remember, they dumped Ferguson from the weeknight chair for Overton.

3 Likes

You watch Seven News Perth’s weather segment and then watch David Brown’s forecast in Sydney and then get back to me if you still think meteorologists are pointless.

4 Likes

I think it is pointless. Most people only watch the weather so they know how hot it was today, whether to take a brolly to work tomorrow, what the weather is like for the weekend and if they should water the garden tomorrow or wait for the rain in three days. That’s all based on information the BOM provides.

Why else would you watch the weather? Those in heavily weather reliant industries certainly aren’t monitoring a 3 minute report at the end of the TV news for guidance.

A meteorologist may come in handy during a big weather event but BOM make their own readily available then so it negates the advantage somewhat.

3 Likes

They’re both going to tell me the forecast tomorrow using the exact same data.

4 Likes

Anyone that really cares about the weather isn’t going to be watching commercial news to get their information, they’re going to be going online. It’s just something that was never all that relevant for Australian news broadcasts once BOM began to provide 7 day forecasts and more detailed information, and even less relevant now with the internet.

6 Likes

Whether or not the information being provided by various parties is of use to anyone and the fact that its viewed online is a different story. The point is that if they are going to continue to provide weather on tv news broadcasts then it really should be presented by a meteorologists.

Again, you haven’t explained why. Do I understand ‘rain with a top of 28’ better if a meteorologist says it?

3 Likes

Enhanced is the key word for me.

NBN News have generally used meteorologists to present weather as well, but one in particular (Nat Jeffery) would mess things up by contradicting the BoM forecasts by saying things like “the Bureau is forecasting mainly fine weather tomorrow, but I think it’s going to rain”.

As long as their egos don’t get in the way, using a meteorologist does for me enhance the weather report.

4 Likes

The meteorologist has read the data and understood it rather than just copying and pasting it into their script.

Anybody could present the news. An actor might deliver a far superior performance than Peter Overton could but the vast majority of people would still prefer to watch Pete because they trust him to understand the subject matter.

Personally I’m not too bothered. I trust that somebody who has presented weather for years is as capable of understanding the content as somebody who is formally trained. But I do see the marketing value in having a proper meteorologist on the team.

6 Likes

Do they really do that though? Just because a presenter has a snazzy tag like meteorologist, doesn’t mean he or she can be bothered to research the data. They’re busy preparing scripts and getting ready to present. What exact benefit comes with this so-called “data”? For that matter, what is this “data”?

1 Like

There isn’t an endless supply of experienced meteorologists with the talent required to go on air and present the weather. Michael Schultz from TENFAFPWNJTGAMS is a good example of why an experienced meteorologist isn’t always a good idea for commercial television news. He’s got the creds, don’t get me wrong, but he presents the most boring 10 minutes of television in the country. He’s more suited to a network that often goes in-depth with news reporting like ABC or SBS.

4 Likes

You could say the same about any journalist.

They don’t use the computer background on the 5pm News anymore? Also the video wall is turned on in the opening wideshot:

8 Likes

It was like that from last weekend as well.

Come again?

9 Likes

Took me awhile to work it out but got it as

Ten Eyewitness News First At Five Perth With Narelda Jacobs Tim Gossage and Michael Shultz

17 Likes

Ten Eyewitness News Finds A Fish Wallowing Near Jesus and I give up

16 Likes