Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Is it just me or do they need to refocus their main camera on the presenter? It seems to be set on the backdrop if you ask me.

1 Like

From this (last night)

to this

4 Likes

I’ve noticed that the opener sting was added like metro bulletins (except Brisbane). I would prefer the current VO guy over the “…50 Caville Avenue…” Peter Harvey era, like “This is 9News Gold Coast w/Bruce Paige and Wendy Kingston”, if the trend continues.

2 Likes

I think they should just cut the “Live from 50 Cavil Avenue, Surfers Paradise” line from the voiceover.

I mean, we don’t have “Live from Sir Samuel Griffith Drive, Mt Coot-tha” or “Live from Artarmon Road, Willoughby” type voiceovers for Nine News in other markets! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

It’s a very Seven-esque V/O, isn’t it? In the same vein as “Live from our Sydney headquarters”.

“… this is 9 News North Queensland with Samantha Heathwood” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

Want to make money by rummaging through people’s council pick up junk? Just watch 9 News Perth tomorrow at 6pm.

:unamused: Seriously? and they’re actually promoting it as a feature story.

2 Likes

Just when we thought Nine News is far superior than Seven in Perth…they bring up an ACA-style story.

The latest in an ongoing series of absolutely ridiculous “Special Reports” from Nine News Queensland…

Surely the reporting team at Nine News Queensland could focus on content that’s of greater significance to their audience than the value of Ekka showbags? Stories like this wouldn’t convince me to be a regular viewer of the bulletin if I lived up there, that’s for sure!

4 Likes

We get the big showbag report at the commencment of the Royal Show here in Perth every year too. Its almost a big press event that all networks cover.

3 Likes

Hehe around 200,000 + viewers (around 50,000 more than Seven) in SEQ begs to differ. Although I’m worried Seven is doing the same.

2 Likes

Not only that but it was one of the main headlines on the bulletin

5 Likes

What the heck? That’s not even a legit news story.

3 Likes

Despite Nine’s “exclusive” and “first on” tags on the Ekka story - this virtually identical story was on Seven News tonight where their sponsorship of the RNA show allowed access to every show bag on offer. It was also important enough to rank as a headline story :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

I’m sure everyone on Media Spy is more than aware that here in Sydney, our local media is incredibly fascinated…no, extremely obsessive about our Royal Agricultural Show every year (often right to the point of national coverage, such is the Sydney-centricness of Australia’s national media), something that’s probably amplified by the fact that it’s held at Easter.

But from what I’ve seen, the Sydney stations have typically taken a fairly unserious and often light-hearted approach to coverage of the showbag launch (let alone the main event itself) with said reports usually buried deep in the bulletin…maybe shown just before the cross to sport at the earliest. That is probably how it should be done, instead of…

I really don’t know what to say about this.

1 Like

Have made a bit of an interesting discovery overnight -

This is the old Brisbane set:

And this is the set that Brisbane was using while they were in the temporary studio:

Just for fun, let’s compare to some shots of the old Sydney set:

(cheers to the various uploaders btw)

Clearly there has been a game of musical sets going on this year.

The timing works very nicely as well. Sydney launched its new set at the end of January and then there was a month in which they trucked the Sydney set up to Brisbane and got it set up in the temporary studio before its late-February launch (it appears that the only things moved across were the plasmas and the piece of glass on top of the desk).

The old Brisbane set was then carefully dismantled and trucked to Newcastle to be set up at NBN. Once the new Brisbane set launched a week ago they were able to truck the final pieces down to Newcastle (the desk top and the backdrop plasma) and launch the ‘new’ NBN set.

And they almost got away with it!

21 Likes

What a fantastic discovery.

3 Likes

Nine Sydney have done news items on Showbags at the Royal Easter Show pretty much every year in recent times too.

Mike Dalton normally covers it.

2 Likes

This year’s Sydney showbags from Dalton.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Melbourne also gets these showbag reports during the Royal Melbourne Show which isn’t that far way.

They are usually presented by the Melbourne version of Mike Dalton… Allan Raskall.

8 Likes