Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

I actually had everything ready to record this exact bulletin this afternoon to make a montage myself, but once I saw Allison was presenting I decided I couldn’t be bothered!

6 Likes

How Nine News Melbourne looked 7 years ago to the day.

5 Likes

Lol! She finally didn’t yell for once… apart from that I laughed when she said " Kangaroo " sounded a bit disordered. Eva should be back on Monday.

1 Like

When did they finally decide headlines were acceptable in Melbourne? From some other videos I looked at, it seems early 2011 they had them, but it wasn’t like there was a change in graphics between the two.

It’s good that GTV have finally lost pretty much all their little quirks in deviating from the network format. They’ve certainly come a long way since the all blue backgrounds and rejecting the updated news themes. If only someone could go and delete Impact from their fonts library.

3 Likes

Didn’t Nine News Melbourne move away from most of the quirks that separated them from the presentation of Sydney/national bulletins when GTV had a change of News Director?

There still are a few small differences.
The theme is slightly different at the beginning of the opener, and the transition to the set is just a fade rather than the 9 news logo.

2 Likes

But see the diffiuclty is, what may sataisfy Sydney viewers may not work for Melbourne viewers.

Remember, Nine News Melbourne is a station where there is minimal ‘first on’ transitions, giveaway competitions , cross-promotion unlike its other East-Coast conterparts. Dare I say, Nine News Melbourne is classier this way.

On the old set, notably, was the black framing and dull lighting.

4 Likes

The Melbourne version of the opener theme used to be the norm for all bulletins. The others followed Sydney when it changed around late-2000s, but Adelaide used the Melbourne version of the opener theme until sometime in 2014/15.

The more authoritative Melbourne version should be used for all 6pm bulletins, with the current version used for all other bulletins.

1 Like

Nine News Melbourne seems to have a very formal, traditional and serious approach to news. Nine News Queensland seems to be very parochial, tabloid and sensationalist with perhaps more emphasis put on the presentation than the content at times.

Nine News Sydney probably sits somewhere between those two approaches. On the one hand, TCN probably has the best quality journalism on Sydney commercial TV but at the same time, they still manage to have regular viewer competitions and fairly pointless “Special Reports” although probably not as bad as what Seven Sydney or Nine Brisbane do.

I’m probably going to be in the minority here, but I think the Sydney/national use of the theme music is better than Melbourne’s “original cut” with these current graphics.

In any case, I still think Nine News needs to consider a theme music update with the current version turning ten years old next year. Right up there with appointing meteorologists to lead the weather on the 6pm East Coast bulletins as a change which IMO, would greatly enhance the quality of Nine News.

5 Likes

GTV Melbourne has mostly had a different version of the Nine News theme (although similar) from other markets since the 1990’s. The late 80’s/90’s theme had a different tune but sounded similar to the normal theme and GTV used added ‘cowbell’ effect for most of the 2000’s that sounded similar to the normal theme (apart from a very brief period in 2006). They reverted to the usual theme for the next few years before the 2012 relaunch, now being the only market to use the original theme.

4 Likes

If comparisons were made with Seven News Sydney and Seven News Queensland, same could probably be said about Seven News Melbourne to some extent.

1 Like

Did I just see one of our fellow MediaSpyers on Nine News Sydney tonight? @SEQTelevision

17 Likes

nine news will launch seven new regional Queensland bulletins

all presented by the one presenter, coming out of the brisbane studios. they will last 2 years at the most i think. the bulletins coming out of the one studio mans potentally a bulletin could be hours hours old by the time it’s aired. the other issue is with pronunciation of local suburbs, towns and roads which a local would know (ABC news on radio’s traffic does this in brisbane a with a road thats written Rode Rd. - i’ve heard it pronounced “Road Road” more than not - it’s Roadie Road and it drives me nuts when they do)

The deal with Southern Cross Austereo is nation-wide, with regional programs also being launched in Victoria, New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory.

Funnily enough my sister joked that she’d found my doppleganger, or a child I never told her about, when that story aired. Thoughts are with this member considering the subject matter of the story.

2 Likes

Anyone Know the closing theme for Nine Melbourne on every Saturday, Its a different one reflecting on ‘the week that was’

Big Things by Rhian Sheehan

Thanks

Is GTV the only news service do reflect on the week just gone in the closer?

I believe so

2 Likes

yes, the NSW and VIC bulletins have launched. And no, it doesn’t neccessarily mean they will be hours old - they’ll use the same approach they are doing with NSW & VIC. Have a look at the ‘Nine News Regional’ thread.

3 Likes

A Nine producer is in very hot water over her alleged actions during a siege. Kate McGrath apparently talked to the gunman on several occasions during the siege, which ended when he shot himself. One of the phone calls lasted 54 minutes, and police allege that these calls meant police were unable to negotiate with the gunman to try to ensure a bloodless ending to the crisis.

Nine, and the producer, state that she always insisted to the gunman to surrender without killing himself. Police maintain she should have stopped having contact with the gunman.

1 Like