Nine News Content and Appearance

SYDNEY’S NO. 1 NEWS

13th CONSECUTIVE YEAR AS SYDNEY’S MOST WATCHED NEWS BULLETIN

9NEWS has cemented itself as Sydney’s undisputed news leader, achieving an early victory in the 2023 ratings year.

Across the Monday to Friday 6.00pm hour, 9NEWS has won 21 weeks of the 40-week official ratings calendar, putting it in an unbeatable position.

It marks the 13th consecutive year that 9NEWS has claimed the ratings crown in Sydney and the 13th consecutive win for 9NEWS presenter Peter Overton.

Peter Overton said: “We’re humbled by the loyalty of our viewers who tune in every night which has led 9News Sydney again to being the No. 1 bulletin. The dedication and hard work of our entire news team is unrivaled and we’ll continue our commitment to delivering premium trusted news".

Simon Hobbs, Director of 9News Sydney, said: “We’re truly grateful for the continued support of our audiences and the trust that they continue to place in 9News, year after year. It’s a privilege to bring them the best and broadest coverage of news, sport and weather every day. Anytime news breaks, anywhere it breaks, we are and will always be committed to throwing everything that we’ve got to bring that story to our viewers first.”

The year-to-date Total TV average audience figures are as follows:
550x115

As audience habits change, 9NEWS is cementing its digital future. Across live streaming, 9NEWS Sydney has won every single week of the 2023 ratings year, with an average BVOD audience in August of 18,715 per episode, comprising 8% of 9NEWS Sydney’s Total TV audience.

Younger Australians are also connecting with 9NEWS in record numbers on social media platforms. 9NEWS is Australia’s most engaged news brand across Facebook and Instagram. Vertical video content is watched over 50 million times monthly across TikTok, Instagram and Facebook. 9NEWS digital audience growth continues on YouTube with 1.22 million subscribers choosing 9NEWS as their premium source of news.

When it comes to excellence, 9NEWS Sydney remains the unrivalled leader.

4 Likes

I see Nine News Melbourne lead their 6pm bulletin with the Brayden Maynard AFL Tribunal hearing with Tony Jones on location with live crosses to TWO reporters at different locations.

Is this REALLY that important, or slow news day? I don’t recall Sydney ever leading their bulletin with similar NRL news.

1 Like

Normally NRL news of a similar stature has court gag orders/victim restrictions etc… :wink:

1 Like
  • Football finals
  • clubs with massive followings (both have more paid members than any NRL club)
  • head injuries in sport are topical at the moment, particularly AFL
  • player involved has has multiple
  • it’s commercial TV news in a football obsessed market. The target audience want to know.
  • competition would have led with it too
7 Likes

Nine News special for Melbourne on Thursday

1 Like

Seems like the Melbourne 4pm news no longer does a “goodbye” to regional viewers to go to Hot Seat at 4.30 anymore.

It’s just “after the break, [reads Coming Up items]”.

Then WIN areas get a block of ads and Hot Seat starts.

1 Like

Wasn’t this discussed recently?

Oh I must have missed it… I usually read this thread.

1 Like

I’m not sure though, it may have been a while ago, who knows with my memory… :joy:

Either way it’s odd given the good relationship between WIN and Nine. Just a few seconds in the bulletin.

1 Like

unrelated but if someone unironically said this on MediaSpy in 2016, they’d be called insane

3 Likes

Didn’t we have someone on this forum threaten to do a nudie run or something if Nine ever got back with WIN?

4 Likes

Melbourne AFL Coverage proo - “Special live coverage from every game - It’s Game On”

Part of promo for tonight in Qld

6 Likes

The news delayed for at least 5 mins due to the NRL Semi Finals

2 Likes

The Melbourne bulletin started just after 6.05pm AEST.

1 Like

Article in Mediaweek about Seven News has this line:

With Nine confirming it will run a dedicated FTA news channel during the Paris Olympics,

The only thing I had seen from Nine related to Stan:

Stan will complete Nine’s unrivalled coverage bringing every minute of the Olympics 24/7, live and on demand with its own team of hosts and experts. Featuring an exclusive, dedicated 24 hour Olympics news channel, every minute of the Olympics action live, and a full on demand offering consisting of highlights, minis and full replays, Australians won’t miss a minute of the action, all screened in 4K UltraHD.

Something new or misunderstanding?

5 Likes

Either they’re spoiling Nine’s announcement or yeah a misconception of the Olympic News Channel on streaming.

Voice For Victims: A Nine News Special

Thursday 28 September 7:30 PM
Brisbane

Andrew Lofthouse and Melissa Downes examine Queensland’s youth crime crisis, giving victims a voice and uncovering solutions.

2 Likes

They should put this up:

4 Likes

Is this a late April Fools joke?

1 Like

New QLD police advertising idea lol.

1 Like