Nine News Content and Appearance

I have not heard of the Quill awards. I can’t imagine Nine making a promo based on an award that people haven’t heard of - its not as well known as say the Logies.

1 Like

The Quill awards are quite well known within the industry, and are more focused on storytelling over performance like the Logies.

12 Likes

The Quill Awards are fairly prestigious. Similar wins in state based awards have prompted promos in the past form Seven and Nine. These categories seem to be just the type of award to promote as well.

4 Likes

They’ve been around for many years. Just because you haven’t heard of them doesn’t mean nobody else has.

1 Like

I think there’s a fair chance that, as a ‘media enthusiast’ of sorts, if I haven’t heard of it, then the average non media savvy person hasn’t either.

1 Like

And what’s one way to boost awareness of something? Make an ad about it.

Either way, still doesn’t negate the appropriateness of suggesting that Nine might want to promote its wins. In fact I am quite sure that various news outlets have done them in previous years. It can be good for the brand to promote positive achievements even if Mr and Mrs Average don’t know what the awards are, they can see that Nine in this instance is gaining respectable acknowledgement for its news coverage. It doesn’t have to be an epic production, just a brief promo to say ‘look at this, we won something, even our peers think we can do journalisms. Watch Nine News’.

1 Like

Given the Quill Awards have been around since 1995 (I just looked that up!) and that I don’t recall seeing a single news promo referencing it in the last 28 years, I can’t see why they’d start doing it now.

I take your point however, but let’s see if they do this time.

1 Like

Here’s one for the Quill Awards

Here’s a couple from Brisbane celebrating wins at Queensland’s version of the Quills, the Clarion Awards also started in 1995. The Seven News one is the one that prompted me to suggest Nine might do one, as it is from last year.

5 Likes

Just because you personally don’t recall something doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened. Especially given they are a Melbourne based award usually for Victorian based journalism AFAIK, so i don’t imagine it would attract any promotion outside of Melbourne.

Likewise the Kennedy Awards for NSW don’t rate much mention outside of NSW but I would think relevant news outlets there would spruik any wins they might clock up

4 Likes

Nine’s promo for tonight; Melissa Downes Investigates …

3 Likes

Tonight during 9 News Melbourne in the second half hour a promo for a special ‘security report’ aired and when I first saw it I thought oh gawd, they are starting to use the tabloid-style graphics 9 News Brisbane uses in their story promos.

Turns out I didn’t need to fear. The end tag featured Melissa and Andrew. The Brisbane version of the promo aired in error on GTV.

11 Likes

This looks new
Seen on the Morning News

7 Likes

It’s been the transition used for a while now.

Definitely new. The previous one was the very red version.
This new variant has only previously been seen on the studio screens.

3 Likes

It’s been used on the news now for at least a month

Watched the late bulletin for the first time last night, not sure what I expected, but feel like they’d be better off to revive something a bit more like Nightline. All they do is cross to reporters in dark cities rehashing things that happened earlier in the day.

5 Likes

Incredibly long closer in Melbourne tonight. Basically played out the entire theme in full from the start (a minute long)

10 Likes

Content on Nine “News” in Brisbane tonight included the answer to 3 “viewer poll” questions where we learned that the survey participants don’t like higher interest rates plus a chef rates some frozen dinners. The frozen dinner story has been the key item featured across today and promoted throughout the bulletin before appearing before the weather so lots of confidence viewers will stick around to the end for it. :cook:

6 Likes

Would love to see them run polls like

• Is Nine News too tabloid?
  • Does Nine News run too many polls?
9 Likes

Is the News morphing into the Today show?

2 Likes