Nine News Content and Appearance

STW have tried to poach them quite a few times and they both rejected all of their offers. They have both said publicly that they won’t leave TVW. Why would they?

One of the stories that Rick himself told was that they sent a former STW exec to get on the same plane as him (while he was flying up north for a story) and try and talk him in to it. It didn’t work.

3 Likes

I remember this happening but I wasn’t on MS at the time, why did they give her the flick? I thought she was competent at her role but I wasn’t a regular viewer.

apparently there was a “change in direction” for NNP. Still was a bad decision though.

4 Likes

It was one of the biggest mistakes they’ve made. Tim and Emmy were a great pairing.

10 Likes

Have you thought about why? Seven has been loyal to the market, unlike it’s commercial counterparts, for decades. The station and its talent are highly integrated into and involved with the community. News-wise, they output live and local news at breakfast, lunch, 4pm and have a stated- based magazine show. With such market loyalty, they could do the bare minimum too. But they don’t.

1 Like

Yep, and Nine is also providing an excellent alternative that’s not getting the attention is should be.

Agreed, such a poor call in the grand scheme of things. I do like the Sport and Weather presenters they’ve got in the West but that’s nothing without a solid foundation formed by the newsreaders.

The Sydney based regular news reader is back and the graphics are the same as it has been. So there is no new relaunch likely for 2023 at this stage.

2 Likes

AFAIK, Nine rebrand their news every four years. The globely look was from 16-20, so my guess is this package will be replaced early 2024.

2 Likes

Technically the last package was late 2016 till Jan 2020, not even 3 and a half years old.
I think it’s reasonable to assume there will be a graphics refresh this year though.

1 Like

if there were to be a change it would happen when Karl and Sarah start on TODAY later this month

Karl and Sarah are back on Today tomorrow.

5 Likes

If it rebrands in early 2024 it could be the only graphics ever to actually last 4 years. The runner ups (2000-2004 and 2016-2020) lasted 3.4 years and 3.25 years IIRC.

Nine News Adelaide have a new promo out which highlights how Brenton & Kate have been doing the news together for 10 years compared to the new team over at 7 News.
https://www.tiktok.com/@9newsadelaide/video/7188834426007309569

5 Likes

This begs the question - how much progress will Nine News Adelaide make this year now their experienced counterpart up the road at Seven has retired?

They should look to what happened in Sydney in the early years of Peter Overton’s tenure - after he failed to win a single week against Ian Ross in 2009, he and the team started to make a lot of progress in 2010 and that was in part due to Roscoe’s retirement, which saw a significant swing in the Sydney viewers’ habits.

That year was very close, with Seven News narrowly winning the year with 21 weeks won against Nine’s 18, and one drawn week (the first week of the ratings season no less). Then in 2011 Nine reclaimed its Sydney crown and has not looked back since.

What happens in Adelaide this year as far as the news ratings battle is concerned will be one of the subplots of 2023 I feel. Will Nine continue to close the gap and/or snag some weeks off Seven, or will the Adelaide viewers’ habits not change?

Overall, Nine News’ 6:00pm lineups have remained mostly stable over the past five years, with the Melbourne line-up of Hitchener/Jones/Nixon currently the longest incumbent serving together (since 2004, though Hitchener and Jones have been in their positions since 1998 and the early 1990s respectively).

Nice, simple effective promo. How good, hopefully a good year for Nine given their product is far better than Seven’s, well for SA at least.

1 Like

According to the broadcast EPG, 9 GC News will continue on the HD channel this year, rather than tennis on HD and news on SD.

Update: The EPG was wrong and the news is on the SD channel.

2 Likes

Looks like Nine Melbourne will be using the Melbourne Park live shot again this year.

7 Likes

Great shot. Melbourne needs to update its camera though to take up more of the videowall.

3 Likes

Peter sitting for the first story tonight on Nine News Melbourne

1 Like