Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

If news is so cost effective you have to wonder why Nine have seemingly axed Nine News Now and replaced it with an imported quiz show.

6 Likes

@TV.Cynic i would guess an imported UK quiz show is even cheaper than news.

And that’s fine for 3pm

But they wouldn’t put a UK quiz show at 4 or 5. No way

2 Likes

Why not? TVNZ1 play Chase (UK) at 5pm as the news lead-in with fantastic success that’s lasted over half a decade. Australia isn’t that different to NZ, viewership wise, at that time of the day, is it?

Would it work if 9 found/created a 30minute gameshow at 5:30, and shunt the 4pm bulletin to 4:30 and whack Tipping Point of whatever it is at 3pm to 3:30? It seems the problem is at 5pm viewers head for 7, so if they’re clever about how they treat the news at that point, i.e. give people a reason to watch… an “Aussie Battler” story, perhaps? They’d have to promo the hell out of it to try drive people’s habits.

Then again, I could be misreading the whole thing… come from NZ and all.

1 Like

@TV4 Australia is more competitive

No network would ever put imported content at 4 or 5

Those time slots are simply too important - imported content does not rate.

A UK game show at 4 on nine or seven would be like tvnz1 or 2 putting Aussie content at 6. No way

2 Likes

Bring back the Bugs Bunny Show with Sophie Lee

3 Likes

I think a lot of things are cheaper than news. That news is cheaper than Hot Seat is not as clear cut as made out.

Comparing the two, news requires 5 studios to be operations 5 days a week for the majority of the year since local news is being produced. There would be about 1,200 episodes made each year (giving a couple of weeks off around Christmas).

Millionaire is one program for all markets that only has new episodes 4 nights a week (Fridays are repeats) and only during the official ratings period. So that’s about 160 episodes a year. Those 160 can be repeated and also gain extra viewers in consolidated numbers while news picks up 0 in that area.

3 Likes

Neighbours airs at 6:30 on TVNZ2.

3 Likes

ah… no they don’t.
That proposal would cost an extreme amount of money to hire new staff in each local newsroom.

4 Likes

Neighbours used to be on TV2 not that long ago. I guess Aussie is more parochial.

EDIT; sorry, I just saw @OnAir had already said that.

Coming back from the break at 6.20pm in Melbourne they played about 15 - 20 seconds of the theme.

Was listening via Light FM so I didn’t actually see whether there was a full screen graphic or something, but I never recall hearing this before.

For those interested in how Nine is handling the transition from afternoon news to 6pm news in Adelaide, Will moves to the sports position at 5.55 for a preview before the weather and then directly hands over to Brenton and Kate.

8 Likes

9 News Adelaide 5pm closer and 6pm open

5 Likes

No audio

1 Like

Sorry, headphones :roll_eyes: checked and no audio on my recording. Will try and get one tomorrow night.

Didn’t miss much, just a weather check followed by Will saying “ And now Brenton and Kate are here with Nine News at 6 “ rolled to headlines.

4 Likes

Radio simulcasts usually do this to time out their breaks to match the broadcast.

4 Likes

From tonight’s Media Watch.

4 Likes

Ah that makes sense.

Was just about to post about it.

Good to see this tabloid garbage getting the crucifixion it deserves.

Though has Media Watch grilled Nine News before when they were obsessed with Aldi?

2 Likes

Pretty sure they did.