Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Despite the channel change advice and appearing in the official Nine program guide, Gold Coast News has failed to make an appearance today - nor were there any updates during the afternoon

4 Likes

I’m listening to the simulcast and the bulletin is on as usual today, albeit a slightly delayed start.

2 Likes

Melbourne just used a finance graphic from the previous package

6.55: using the old “Livinia’s Weather” graphic too

2 Likes

The Gold Coast bulletin only appeared on the SD channel, so that viewers watching the tennis on 9 HD would not have known it was being broadcast.

9 Likes

Thank God they don’t have that hideous watermark anymore.

5 Likes

One assumes that now most of the bulletins are using cold opens, the practice of pre-recording the Title VOs has been dropped for a live read?

As seen on GC - not sure if it has been used elsewhere yet

This compares to the Exclusive bug

6 Likes

Some ad-lib from Pete:

https://twitter.com/9NewsMelb/status/1219164692544937984?s=20

18 Likes

That first on Nine graphic appeared briefly during the local window of the Townsville regional bulletin, then disappeared with the old “First on Nine News” graphic then appearing in the top right.

1 Like

Personally, I disagree with the idea of not simulcasting Nine Gold Coast News on the HD channel during the Australian Open because goes against the spirit of what should be a fulltime simulcast of the HD channel. Direct people to NBN Nine Gold Coast HD for those who want to watch the 5.30pm-6pm half hour of tennis in HD!

Anyway, here’s a few bits and pieces of the new look from Sydney we didn’t see last night.

“Breaking News” Super (Didn’t see a full screen transition graphics, but I’m sure one will appear on-screen soon enough):

“Exclusive” Transition & Super:

“Tomorrow” Promo Endtag:

Sponsored “Countdown to Your Local Forecast” Graphic at the end of the final ad break:

Of course that countdown is somewhat inaccurate, because “Finance & Fuel” is on before the main Weather segment. Speaking of which, here’s some caps of the new “Finance & Fuel” graphics because those are obviously only shown on weeknights:

5 Likes

Still the old endtag I see.

1 Like

Brisbane ran a title card before the headlines - no cold opener.

3 Likes

The Desk could do with a change

9 Likes

The whole set could do with a change :laughing:

17 Likes

Agreed. The main background behind the presenters needs to be a liveshot, elsewhere around the set I feel that a more “beachy” look (and colour scheme - maybe replace some blue elements in those graphics with gold/yellow) would suit the bulletin quite nicely!

2 Likes

Why not have a liveshot of the Gold Coast? Maybe it will freshen up the news presentation.

1 Like

Thought I’d write up my thoughts on the relaunch, now that we’ve seen quite a chunk of it.

The good:

• The supers are great. Much nicer than before and they animate quite nicely.
  • The general package is a lot simpler and less cluttered. I saw a cap of Perth’s set with the new graphics and it looked really good (as the RHS isn’t a light box)
  • I don’t mind the new logo either. A bit different from what we’ve seen as a main Nine News logo.
  • Titlecard and full screen animations look great.
  • New national backdrop is heaps better.

The bad:

• The theme is so old now. Would’ve been nice to see it updated. Plus it doesn’t work at all in the opener anymore.
  • Really need some localised titlecards. Way too generic - looks especially weird on the regional bulletin opener. Lack of state/region name on the titlecards too.
  • Regional backdrops need to be toned down a bit. Not as bad as before, but still not great.
  • Lack of report twitter/social handles
  • Lack of website graphics (in Melbourne, the end of the bulletin doesn’t even display the website anymore)
  • Lack of consistency between the bulletins in all states isn’t too good, especially in the openers. Keep the cold openers but apply to all bulletins.
  • Need a consistent theme for videowall graphics. This has always been a problem.
  • Melbourne need to adjust the balance of graphics on the main videowall, plus revert back to the white set - the blue set doesn’t work with this package given the supers are blue.
  • Queensland needs to stop with the tabloid BS!
  • The headline supers need a bit more emphasis like the previous package.
  • I have come to agree with others about “Nine News Alert”. Should be “Nine News Update” or something along those lines.
  • Desk graphics should use the white background as from the original promos.
  • Something is now just really off with the weather graphics… I’m not sure if it’s the colours or layout…
  • Melbourne needs to stop using the blue-bar at the bottom of the screen when presenting weather OBs. Show the 7-day forecast on the side as they used to do a few years ago.
  • Need a new consistent set of voiceovers for each state.

I have ranted a lot of negatives (a few are nitpicks from the previous package too), but I do much prefer the direction of this package vs the last one.

11 Likes

And the diversity used to be different on a local level. I remember they (Melbourne) used to have different fonts and colours for stories, like if it was a criminal case they might use a big bold, black/red font. Now every story just seems to have plain white font with highlights and flares.

IMO, I don’t like they supers. they remind me too much of 7. I never liked 7’s cause of the box shape. The previous ones were better cause the longer length no matter how short the text made them look better. Although the new ones are slightly better cause there’s no 3D gradient, compared to 7.

1 Like

Looks like they’ve updated their weather forecast to a “forcast” now too!

2 Likes