Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Of course that is probably the last option on the list. I think Nine could’ve handled this so much better though.

How?

1 Like

Perhaps by putting on a scrolling message on-screen saying that the news will be on at a different time?

It was mentioned to the point of ad nauseum by the commentary team.

4 Likes

Fair enough.

1 Like

Look, these situations are never ideal.

You piss off those who don’t watch cricket, you piss off those who are used to a schedule / routine, you piss off those who are regualar Nine News watchers at 6pm, you piss off those who have scheduled recordings for Nine this evening and you piss off Nine management.

Whilst you put smiles on the faces of cricket lovers (not having to change channels / HD), Cricket Australia management & ABC and Seven management.

1 Like

I don’t know about earlier in the afternoon, but I tuned in at 5:55pm (6:55pm AEDT) expecting 9 News to start, and stayed until the News started at 6:17pm (7:17pm AEDT) and I only heard it said once around 6:10pm and all that was said was “the news is coming up after these 2 overs in New South Wales and Victoria”.

That’s far from good enough in my opinion

Pete gave his condolences to Angela Bishop at the end of tonight’s bulletin.

18 Likes

Peter Overton: A class act as always.

I’m sure the many Nine and Ten Sydney employees who’ve previously worked for the other network really appreciated this.

13 Likes

At least a close second after the axing of Here’s Humphrey.

17 Likes

How does Nine managed to slot in the Gold Coast news in that market in amongst all these delays?

Does anyone know what happened on the Gold Coast?

Bizarre situation on the Gold Coast where the local news started (without warning - mid ad break) on time at 5.30pm.

During the cross to Brisbane news room at about 5.55pm instead of “coming up at 6pm” it was “coming up next”. Not sure what to say, at the end of the bulletin it was Nine News “coming up soon” and then the cricket cut back in without explanation.

5 Likes

Did Peter improvise and say this personally?

Or did the producers ask him to read it off the script?

I would say the latter.

Another reason why he is Sydney’s No.1 anchorman.

2 Likes

What makes you think he read it off the script? It was clearly a personal touch by Peter.

FYI, he isn’t that cardboard cutout from Seven.

EDIT: A while ago Pete’s father celebrated his 80th birthday and Pete mentioned it live on air. Do you think the director wrote that in the script for him to say it? They might’ve not even known it was Pete’s father’s birthday until he mentioned it on air.

7 Likes

Sandra Sully paid a teary tribute to Angela’s late husband in the closing seconds of Ten’s bulletin.

15 Likes

Of course Pete said. His wife, Jess, has worked with Angela for more than 10 years, so she would be very upset.

BTW, this is evident because the theme music starts to play but they cut it when they realise Pete is giving this tribute.

8 Likes

I completely agree that it was definitely something that Pete himself wanted to say personally.

In the past while signing off from the bulletin, Peter Overton has farewelled longtime floor managers and helicopter pilots, given Brian Henderson a birthday shout-out, acknowledged the date of Peter Harvey’s death a few years after it happened and I’m sure there’s been others.

8 Likes

On screen message about delayed news shown in Queensland :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Who cares if it was scripted? The sentiment was the same either way.

2 Likes