Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

When multiple people are sitting at the national desk it would be nice to have one of the guests as half the new backdrop/half news exchange kind of thing. Kind of sitting in the corner of studio where the glass window and video wall meet.

2 Likes

They kind of do that for the news updates on Today Extra, except hey have the plasma on the stand blocking the view through the window. I agree though, it would be nice for the ewsroom to feature at least a bit.

Sports update:

Promo:

Finance update:

2 Likes

Wow a sports update from the future! :wink:

First On MediaSpy

5 Likes

Spotted on Nine News Darwin Facebook page

On another note, I understand why, etc. but when you think about it, it’s pretty weird that Nine own and run a fully fledged capital-city style news bulletin in Darwin, but have a sub-par green screen news bulletin and don’t actually own the licence in Canberra, the capital of Australia, double the size of the Darwin market that they cater really well for!

5 Likes

I think the “don’t actually own” is the “key” (no pun intended) there.

1 Like

Brisbane 11am news

3 Likes

Terrible backdrop with those fake computer monitors!

3 Likes

Too OTT as a backdrop. I prefer it if they went for the current National Backdrop used on the morning news. But before anything, HD please :confounded: !

2 Likes

Speaking of the Brisbane/QLD bulletin, something a bit strange is that Nine renamed their Facebook and Twitter profiles for the Brisbane bulletin as “9 News Queensland” in March 2017. Why not keep the page as “9 News Brisbane” anyway as it will probably have to be changed back.

Keep the URL handle as 9NewsBrisbane, but change the profile pic and name to 9 News Queensland so that when the regional QLD bulletins launch, you don’t have to move the page again.

I suspect that the name on social media has been changed to Nine News Queensland because that’s the brand they use for the bulletin On-Air, and of course both Seven and Ten do something similar if I’m not mistaken.

The regional Queensland editions of the news will likely be branded on air and on social media as Nine News Cairns, Nine News Townsville and so on.

3 Likes

Seven has the “7NewsBrisbane” handle with their pages branded accordingly, but Ten is branded as QLD.

Seven’s makes sense to be Seven News QLD as their local bulletins are a 30-minute cutaway from the Brisbane bulletin. But Nine’s QLD bulletins will be a full hour composite with local inserts, the 6pm Brisbane bulletin won’t play there and shouldn’t really be called Nine News QLD.

Current 6pm branding. Has been mentioned that “Brisbane” would possibly disenfranchise Gold and Sunshine Coast viewers who are part of the SEQ licence area.

4 Likes

But Nine’s Brisbane bulletin will still air regionally on weekends (at least initially, things might be different in the long run) even after the launch of the seven new local editions of Nine News for Regional Queensland.

I agree. Even though this is minor in the grand scheme of things, I would probably go as far as suggesting that Sydney & Melbourne should brand their weekend bulletins as “Nine News New South Wales/ACT” and “Nine News Victoria” (while keeping the city-specific branding on weeknights of course) so that all viewers feel included. Afterall, Nine do know that regional areas are still getting the city version of the news on weekends…right?

It’s been known on-air as National/Nine News Queensland since the beginning of 2004 so it’s not a new thing. As @SydneyCityTV said the local news bulletins will likely be Nine News Cairns/Townsville etc. or possibly in keeping with the other NSW/VIC bulletin names for the wider areas, Nine News North Queensland/Central Queensland etc.

2 Likes

Perhaps they’ll end up re-branding to Nine News: First at Six :slight_smile:

9 Likes

That’s a fair point for the Gold Coast at least (they do have their 30 minute opt-out though), but Sunshine Coast will soon have its own hour bulletin to fully replace the metro bulletin on weeknights.

All metro bulletins are carried into their respective regional areas throughout the week anyway by Prime/GWN, SC7 and WIN, and by 7QLD and SC9 on weekends. If we changed the metro bulletins to state names, (a) the name wouldn’t match the city-centric content, and (b) it would “disenfranchise” metro viewers who may feel that they are not getting news specific to their city.

1 Like

The producers are getting lazy with their supers. Looks silly to have “9news.com.au” in your main strap, when it’s sitting next to your logo/bug which says the same thing. Pointless over branding.

2 Likes

2 camera angles overlayed each other. Weird glitch. Only lasted a few seconds.