Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Here… fixed it.

13 Likes

Nine News Sunday breaches accuracy and impartiality rules

TCN Channel Nine Pty Ltd (Channel Nine) breached the Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice (the code) by broadcasting a news item that was inaccurate and was not presented fairly and impartially.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority investigated a prime time news item entitled ‘Protecting Perks’, broadcast in Sydney by Nine News Sunday on 16 July 2016. The news item contained allegations that former Ku-ring-gai Mayor, Councillor Cheryl Szatow, and the Ku-ring-gai Council had engaged in wasteful spending, including funding a legal challenge to the NSW Government’s plans to amalgamate Ku-ring-gai and Hornsby councils.

The ACMA investigated the broadcast following a complaint that the news item contained a number of inaccuracies and was biased and unfair.

‘The ACMA found that Channel Nine breached the fairness and impartiality requirements of the news provisions of the code by using non-neutral language, unfair juxtapositions of facts, comical graphics and a tone more commonly found in current affairs programming, to which different standards apply,’ said acting ACMA Chairman, Richard Bean.

‘The code requires that commercial television news programs present factual material accurately, and do so in a fair and impartial way,’ he added.

The ACMA also found that the news item contained one factual assertion that was inaccurate—that the Mayor had spent $900 a week on flower deliveries for her office. The licensee has advised the ACMA that this figure in fact referred to the total cost of 30 separate deliveries that had occurred over a nine month period.

However, four other allegations of inaccuracy were investigated by the ACMA, in respect of which no code breaches were found.

In response to the ACMA’s findings, the licensee has undertaken to:

• inform relevant staff involved in the production and broadcast of the news item of the ACMA’s reasoning and findings
• use the matter as an example in future training of all relevant staff.

3 Likes

Blink and you’ll miss it

7 Likes

We’ve seen a lot of that test pattern recently! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m suprised there are no articles reporting on how many times Nine News Sydney has had bloopers recently (usually the daily telegraph, tv tonight etc) I can’t believe I’m saying this again, what a complete joke, you’d think they would have fixed the issue but nope it continues. If I was Peter Overton I would actually demand them to fix it or refuse to go on air because it’s making him look bad.

They still using the one with the 2006 Nine logo?

1 Like

I posted this same blooper the other week! I cannot believe it happened again!!

1 Like

What year did they drop “National Nine News” branding? It was after 2008 during the flying billboard era IIRC.

2 Likes

Towards the end of 2008 I am pretty sure

1 Like

Yes, 2009 saw the launch of the new sets, debut of Peter Overton and rebrand of the National Nine News brand to simply Nine News.

I actually remember in Melbourne during 2008, while they still used the NNN brand, the promos were referring to the news brand as 9 News. This went on for a few months before the official switch :slight_smile:

1 Like

And I remember the reporters sign off’s during that period too. Not sure if you were on the old forum, but there was heaps of discussion about a possible relaunch at the time.

Certainly wasn’t on the forum during that time :frowning:

All good. But yeah probably around mid 2008, reporters began signing off with just Nine News instead of National Nine News. Whilst on air branding still maintained National Nine News at the time.

3 Likes

It was in October 2008 (the 20th from memory) that National Nine News became Nine News, but of course the Nine News name was being phased into reporter signoffs and promos a few months before then.

IMO, the chances of the old “National Nine News” brand being revived anytime soon are about the same as Seven reviving their old “Seven Nightly News” or “Seven National News” brands - very slim to none.

4 Likes

October 20 to be exact. And that horrid background…

No wonder why ratings were failing a that time with bloopers like this…

8 Likes

Especially as they’re rolling out regional bulletins; the last thing they’d want to do is downplay the local news aspect of the new bulletins.

2 Likes

Good use of the Nine News Perth set

11 Likes

Talk about #jacketgate!!

Can we also add a new term #laptopgate, that looks crazy!

8 Likes

The crusher is back!!!

Also Donald Trump crushed in a test.