Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Nine News needs to commission a properly updated version of their theme music rather than continuing to re-edit one that’s now been in use for 12 years. I mean honestly, Nine News has been through at least three set eras and six graphics packages since 2008. That’s before you take into consideration how the theme music is now being used in ways (headline bed during updates, at the top of the hour on radio stations) it was never originally intended to be used in.

Sure, I understand and accept all the reasons why Nine don’t want to completely move away from such an iconic tune. But is the current version of the music suitable for usage across TV, radio and online in 2020? Not in my personal opinion anyway…

8 Likes

During a report on Grace Brennan (who founded the “Buy from the Bush” campaign), Nine Sydney mentioned how she was from the town of Warren, but then showed footage of Dubbo.

Not a big deal by any means, but it’s the kind of thing Media Spyers notice!

4 Likes

During tonight’s bulletin, we got to see the updated “Breaking News” transition graphic not just once but twice!

Here’s a cap of that, along with one of a “Breaking News” Live Cross Graphic:

5 Likes

That breaking news at the top of the Sydney news didn’t make it into the NSW regional bulletin until 29 minutes in.

2 Likes

Noticed former NBN sports anchor and reporter Samuel Djodan (pronounced Jaw-darn) was filing reports for Nine from the AO.

3 Likes

I like the speed and sound of transitions.

1 Like

The “special effects” are the reason why I don’t watch!

2 Likes

What I’m still struggling to understand is how Nine News Queensland gets away with some of their questionable “Special Reports”.

At least some of the “Special Reports” which air on Nine News Sydney are of some journalistic significance, such as tonight’s piece from Elizabeth Daniels which looked into the deporable state of Circular Quay ferry wharves below the surface.

1 Like

Exactly why I hate watching these commercial news offerings.

2 Likes

The novelty of them does wear off, but still I’d rather have them than not.

Shows that stations put a bit of effort into their presentation, it would look a bit bland with nothing else than just plain text.

2 Likes

You shouldn’t need bells and whistles as distractions when presenting news.

1 Like

It screams tabloid and dumbs down the audience. Nine (especially QTQ) seem to be more interested in their ego’s these days and this walking whilst talking rubbish makes me want to vomit.

1 Like

Loving the new regional graphics. Changes are nice, but still boring as hell.

1 Like

Melbourne still using finance graphics from the old package.

3 Likes

Queensland using the cold open (same as launch) again tonight.

These remind me of the Sunrise graphics/transitions.

4 Likes

Funny that YouTube thumbnails still haven’t been updated with the new logo/graphics.

5 Likes

I’ve noticed some of the regional FB pages are still posting graphics with the old package too.

2 Likes

Well that’s to be expected. They’ve hardly updated any of the regional profile pictures/cover photos, even thought it seems like a pretty easy job :man_shrugging: . They don’t pay much attention to the regional social media pages, that I’m aware of. .

4 Likes