Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Yelling? I’m not sure about that.

BTW, ‘Aus TV Uploader’ is me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Adelaide should always open with a double-header intro (thanks @sammy123 for upload):

2 Likes

I personally think there’s a distinct difference between what makes a good voice for a newsreader and what makes a good voice for promotional and branding voiceovers.

But at the same time, it’s one thing to use a newsreader currently on air for the Opening Voiceovers. Continuing to use recordings of someone who has been dead for over four years is a completely different level.

Matthew O’Sullivan, who is also currently the main promotional voice for Nine News Sydney and does the intros for Nine News Perth and the Southern NSW/ACT bulletins if I’m not mistaken.

Adelaide uses Phil Baildon for their intros and I have no idea who Nine News Darwin uses.

4 Likes

I agree that Pete is not the best VO guy. But TBH, I think the idea of having the face of your bulletin do the VO for other presenters is great and bold.

1 Like

Ouch

14 Likes

That’s what happens whenever you press 7 on any of Nine’s keyboards.

17 Likes

Another free plug for Aldi tonight dressed up as a news item. I wonder what the deal is between Nine and Aldi.

2 Likes

Looks like the same thing they’ve already played several times already (especially the bit about revamped stores).

2 Likes

To re-iterate posts elsewhere

Tomorrow in Victoria:

NINE NEWS SPECIAL

Wednesday 11:00 AM

Hosted by Peter Hitchener and Alicia Loxley. Live coverage of Collingwood legend and media personality Lou Richards State Funeral from Melbourne’s St Paul’s Cathedral.

1 Like

Should be presenting together all the time.

1 Like

Not sure about that to be honest…

1 Like

Yeah. Hitch is too good to have a co-host.

People like Tony Jones or Brett McLeod probably needs one though.

2 Likes

Are other markets getting the advertising posing as stories during their Nine 6pm bulletins that Brisbane gets? Seen tonight for example and heavily promoted was full 2 minutes advert for Click Frenzy

That was followed by an advert/story for Solar Power. Luckily they could speak to someone from the company in both stories.

Earlier there was a “story” about car sales with amazing info such as best deals were on demonstrator models.

The first two could not be described as news by any stretch and were more suited to the ad break or as infomercials after midnight. Every night is the same with the most promoted stories; they even look like they are recorded in a batch with the same reporter and expert on different nights.

6 Likes

Here in Sydney we sometimes get promoted “Special Reports” which are probably more suited to ACA, but these are usually shown in the segment between Sport & Weather rather than ahead of any news of substance.

Although both networks are guilty of doing this sort of thing, personally I think Seven is slightly worse than Nine in the Sydney market when it comes to “Special Reports” of a dubious quality…

3 Likes

Seven wasn’t as bad when they had Today Tonight. After its axing it became 10x worse.

All of those kinds of stories should be banned as there’s nothing newsworthy about them. If only there was a proper regulator that would take broadcasters to task over advertising posing as news…

8 Likes

Perhaps it is the constant promotion before and during the news or the way they are presented but Nine are the worst in Queensland with this sort of fake news pollution. The stories used to find a home years ago on Brisbane Extra - they basically made the whole program. But they should have no place on the 6pm news or even ACA. They should be classified as advertisements and paid for accordingly.

No matter how good the rest of the presentation, story gathering, new set etc, once these stories are included and promoted as a major story for the night the credibility of the entire bulletin is called into question. These are so obviously not news that you question the rest of the information presented and the news reader introducing it and the reporters are exposed to losing credibility as well.

In a hypothetical world, I reckon that a better resourced Ten News running an hour of proper news at 6pm would do well again what Seven and Nine’s flagship bulletins have turned into. It may not win the timeslot but it would drag a lot of viewers away from the competitors.

6 Likes

Anyone who is concerned about this sort of content should:

a) complain to the regulator
b) complain to the network (to make them aware that, yes, people are noticing paid content in a supposed “news” bulletin)
c) complain to your local federal MP

Preferably use a telephone since voice calls harder to ignore. Even if you don’t think it will work, history shows us that similar efforts with, for example, gambling advertising have spurred politicians into action.

2 Likes

While I’d generally agree, I would be dubious about complaining to an MP as they rely heavily on news bulletins to get their message though “unpaid advertisements” (posing as pressers or photo opportunities) out to the public.

The biggest problem is that commercial TV is self regulated via the Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice - developed by and for Free TV and registered with the ACMA. It includes such ridiculous things such as “sneak peeks” being classified as program content.

1 Like

Not true at all. Calling up an MPs office does have an affect, especially if that MP doesn’t have a guarantee of being reelected. MPs aren’t necessarily aware of problems until someone points it out to them, so three or four people complaining about a certain issue will raise eyebrows.

I live in a marginal seat both federally (and since the Qld redistribution, statewise), so I get bootycalled by Labor three times a year.