Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Nine Melbourne having another unmasked special tomorrow evening.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Leo_Puglisi6/status/1298116392219111424

16 Likes

The old Today show studio getting prepped for US Elections?

6 Likes

Maybe they’ll use it during the move to North Sydney?

Likely they’ll present from this studio while the other one is dismantled and transported to its new home.

18 Likes

Hmm, I think you could be onto something there. Set wideshots aren’t usually seen during updates, nor would you need to have all the screens on with those different graphics for one either.

If the current set is transported over to the new studios (still holding out hope for a new or at least slightly refreshed look), I wonder if the side videowalls will be removed and repurposed elsewhere? As much as I hope they aren’t, since TCN generally sticks to QTQ-like usage of their set it wouldn’t surprise me…

3 Likes

When I first saw that desk, I thought it looked familiar.

It’s from Sports Sunday.

11 Likes

Exclusive?

1 Like

Great get! Yep definitely looks like the temporary set while they move the other! Can’t be too far off now.

6 Likes

So if they are rehearsing this week then likely to be on this set from Sunday with dismantling/moving works starting next week?

I daresay the secondary set will be brand new (for Early News, ACA and potentially other things depending on how they plan to use the new spaces) so no disruption planned to the old news exchange studio.

4 Likes

Good get!!

Actually looks pretty decent too as a temporary set.
They must be close to moving now.

6 Likes

I think it’s the ANZ HQ in Docklands.

1 Like

I’m going to assume that they’ll be on this temporary set for a few weeks at least, if they do indeed extend/update the set for other multi use purposes.

3 Likes

While it’d be really nice if the move happened around mid-September given that it’s a really special and important time of year for Nine and indeed Sydney as a whole, I strongly doubt any of that will come into consideration when it comes to the timing of the big move from Willoughby to North Sydney.

If the current set is being transported over, I really hope any tweaks made will be an improvement and not a step backwards! Like if the static newsroom backdrop (with old titlecards on the screens) was removed or reduced in prominence, I think most would be happy with that. However keeping in mind how Nine News Sydney has generally used their set since about March 2018, I do worry that they may decide that QTQ’s videowall-less presentation is good enough and decide to remove both of those!

Of course I also wouldn’t mind a graphics and/or theme music update for North Sydney, but given that the current graphics were only launched in January + the fact Nine seems happy enough with the current theme music, I suspect there won’t be any changes to either element until (at least) the next major branding update…probably in 2024.

What I don’t understand with removing the side screens is that Today uses them extensively… Unless Today gets a seperate studio (which seems unlikely?) why would they be removed? In saying that, I do think that one of the walls would at least need to be moved if 9 are to incorporate a soft set.

To be honest, I think nine have made the right decision to keep its current set. Especially in this environment.

4 Likes

Speaking of Today, I guess it is fair to assume that they will be using their old studio again!

Gee, 3 studios in 6 months :joy:… If this was always the plan I wonder why they moved into studio 23 before studio 21? Or why they moved at all? Seems like a lot of unnecessary moving just to end up back at the starting spot

2 Likes

Actually doesn’t look too bad. Bit of resemblance to 7 News Sydney.

Today moved to 23 during the peak of COVID to reduce the number of people in the studio. They moved to 21 (which is still automated) when they were getting beaten by the ABC. They have to move out of 21 for set deconstruction. Nothing to say that won’t end back up in 23 temporarily, though you’d hope it’s back to the old studio.

3 Likes

The temporary set looks okay, very white, but I think the desk would look better with a piece of glass on top - looks a little cheap otherwise.

4 Likes

Not only are Nine News QLD stories looking increasingly like they would be better placed on A Current Affair, now they are ACA stories. Again tonight ACA’s Dan Nolan appears on set to report excerpts from a ACA story. Both recent instances have had identical themes of wealthy people allegedly given exemptions allowing them to cross the QLD border.

8 Likes