Nine (NBN)

Central Coast advertising promo

3 Likes

Why is 9NBN airing made-for-TV romance movies airing every Monday, Thursday and Friday afternoon?

They are just airing the Nine Network schedule, it’s not a local 9NBN decision.

2 Likes

What’s the question?

Thought it was interesting that an ad for a golf tournament in Orange appeared during NBN News tonight with a rival network logo on it.

3 Likes

Given WIN run sales for NBN and are also a Nine affiliate, they aren’t really a rival network. I get that they do run Ten in Northern NSW and from that standpoint they could be classed as rival, but since they have a hand in both buckets, it’s a bit hard to be essentially a rival to yourself.

1 Like

Yes I know that WIN being the sales agent for Nine N.NSW is the reason why their logo is on the ad, but I think they are still are rivals in that they are competing for ratings and advertising share.

I do think there a bit of a conflict of interest that WIN does Nine N.NSWs sales, surely there would be a temptation at WIN to steer those clients away from Nine N.NSW to Ten N.NSW so they get all of the ad $$$ and not just a commission (or however they get paid for it).

1 Like

Well that would largely depend on what the advertising rates are and how much of a commission WIN get from NBN ad sales. NBN would definitely be seen as more lucrative from an advertising standpoint due to viewership and would thus command a higher cost for ads, so depending on the revenue split, they could still be doing just as well off NBN sales as they do for their own with Ten.

1 Like

I know what you are saying, but I would be very surprised if that was the case.

eg. I think WIN would have to get something like a 40% commission to be better off, and I don’t think Nine would be that generous.

1 Like

I think (and I’ll try and get this confirmed next time I’m in the building) that WIN Sales have dedicated staff for Nine advertising only.

3 Likes

Im not sure the words a rival network is entirely accurate, given that WIN is the Nine affiliate in what is essentially the Southern part of NSW that includes in its viewing districts Orange.

Also if it’s considered from a brand perspective, WIN is only really referred to in its news updates and some ads, much like NBN TV is, the rest of the time it’s referred to by its metro partner eg NBN TV is Nine in NNSW and WIN (formerly NRTV) is TEN

1 Like

Is this a mistake by the MCR, or are they bringing back / strengthening the NBN brand in Newcastle again???

5 Likes

Isn’t that big used in crossover markets? It could be a mistake.

3 Likes

I saw that during Hot Seat here in Port Macquarie and wondered if it was a mistake too.

It was there for more than one block too

3 Likes

Yes it’s used on the Central Coast and Gold Coast.

Newcastle and Northern NSW had it for a while but they removed it, but it seems to be back!

2 Likes

So the NBN bug wasn’t there later in the evening, so it was either only on the leadup to the news or it was put there by mistake

4 Likes

It’s only on when content differs in overlap markets.

No watermark add on for Hot Seat today on the Mid North Coast.

1 Like

Yes but it’s back again today (Thursday), I’m still n Newcastle.

4 Likes

Millionaire is unique because it’s not just a dirty feed from Nine, it’s played out separately for NBN so that they can insert their own NBN News updates and time it properly AND so there is no “Nine News Next” PRG.

Therefore a nine logo has to be inserted in the NBN feed. Where as, for all other programs it would already have been inserted by TCN.

So maybe the presentation staff have just inserted the same logo across all markets (including NBN bug)

3 Likes